Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol & the Sleeve

I'm curious for those who went from the band to the sleeve - with the smaller stomach - have you noticed a difference when drinking alcohol? I'm not a big drinker - I can't stomach much alcohol as it is but I'm wondering if the sleeve changes the effect that alcohol has on the body.

I was sleeved on August 11th of this year. I had alcohol for the first time since July last night. I had an Angry Orchard Cider. It has a very small amount of alcohol, but I noticed that I got a little dizzy after drinking it. I thought dizziness was due to the fact that I was drinking it on a boat and the boat was rocking. I had another drink after I exited the boat, and I felt the same way. I don't think I'll be drinking again for a while.

I've absolutely no change other than its harder to tolerate wine, just makes me a bit acidy.

I pretty much avoided alcohol during weight loss phase but had some red wine at a celebration about 4 months out....burned! Now I am almost 3 years out. If I drink on an empty stomach it hits me hard. It's like the booze goes directly into the boodstream! I don't recall being so sensitive when banded. The sleeve creates metabolic change. If I eat first I can have 1-2drinks with no issue. Just be careful with it.

Up until last wk ( after a signifixant gain) I drank a glass of red wine everynite. Im 16 mths out of a band to sleeve revision. I never had that "tipsy on less" thing that some people have. The problem I have with alcohol is tjat it makes me tgink that unlimoted snacking is a fantastic idea...

So no difference for me. Never noticed a difference with my band (2009) either. Guess Im a freak

I noticed that with 1-2 glasses of wine nursed over 2 plus hours I feel tipsy and I normally can clear 3-4 glasses of wine and feel absolutely fine!

I am drinking very limited amounts but for special occasions i will have some. I feel for my partner he is a social creature and has been stuck at home with me by his choice but I know it is hard for him no to go out and socialize with our friends and it sucks to take me out right now since I am the most boring date and not on solids yet.

I am 10 weeks out and can say that one glass of wine does get me loopy. Quite a cheap date after band to sleeve revision. This was not the case prior to the surgery. My surgeon allows limited alcohol but was clear in that those calories go toward my daily caloric limit so at this point in my journey I definitely do not over indulge.