Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Sleevers, let's buddy up

I'm scheduled for November 25th. My pre op starts on November 15th. Unlike some that I've read about my doctor will only allow Protein Shakes, Water, Decaf tea, and sugar free popsicle. So I'm starting to try different Protein shakes. So far I like the premier chocolate shakes. I'm trying nectar today (fuzzy navel), it taste ok, not a great after taste. I've tried protein flavored chicken Soup. Not bad. I stopped all caffeine, went through 2 days of headache from caffeine loss. Now it's just a waiting game intil my preop appointment. Would love to hear from others with a surgery date in November and what they have tried so far.

Edited by chicogirl3

I'm praying for November! I went last week to my final nutrition appointment. Yesterday the insurance coordinator called me and said that my insurance has been denying people due to the length of time between appointments so I have to go one more time.....Nov. 13!!!! But, she said she will get the surgical coordinator to call me and schedule tentatively for the week of Thanksgiving!!!! She said my insurance approves in a matter of days. So, im praying it works out because my deductible of $1000 starts over Jan. 1!!

@@shelby77 We are in the same boat! I have completed all of my requirements but when I called my doctor's office they are waiting for outside providers (NUT, pysch) to send the records in. I have to get this done before the end of the year or my deductibles start over . . . and I don't know that I will want to go through this again.

Update: Just spoke with the surgeon's office. She said she will submit to insurance for both my husband and myself today. She said to expect to wait 2 weeks for an answer! Woo hoo!

Edited by RedDirtRoads

I understand! I've done everything and they have everything. They just want this last appointment as a precaution. I'll do my pre op test that day as well she said. So, hoping for the best!!!!! I hope all goes well to get yours by the end of the year as well!!

I am November 20th! My pre-op starts 14 days before, but I may start it a couple days early, mainly because 1) I want to give my surgeon the best possible chance for laparoscopic (I do NOT want to be cut open) and I know that the liquids will make it easier, and 2) I find myself over eating recently because I have that "oh, I won't be able to have this much longer so I better eat it now!" mentality, which is very bad, lol. I'm nervous but excited. I turn 26 tomorrow and there are so many things that I want to do that my weight holds me back from....I simply cannot wait! I was married in May and for our one year anniversary we are going to hike at the Grand Canyon ????

I am scheduled for Nov 24th in Mexico. i cant wait but now many people are trying to tell me i can do it without surgery to just follow Protein diet. im 40 and heaviest ever. help,,,,,thoughts, confused. people are saying ill be forced to control myself after surgery so why not control myself now??? please help. confused. i really want it but sense im getting the same advice im 2nd guessing myself.

Surgery is a permanent tool. It is definitely not a fix all. You may be able to lose the weight doing an all Protein diet, but once you start eating carbs again, it could pack back on. Who knows? Surgery reduces the size of your portions forever, unless you force yourself to stretch your stomach back out by eating too much. Yes, surgery will require immense discipline, and so does dieting. Surgery is for those individuals who have tried time and time again and cannot get lasting success. I would talk to your doctor and family and see what they have to say about your thoughts! Good luck!! ????

My surgery is attentively scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving and the reason being..my insurance requires 6 NUT visits, but actually 7 because the Dr. appointment to schedule the surgery has to be 30 days AFTER your last NUT visit....it takes approximately 15 or so days to get insurance approval (I checked prior to, and as long as I meet the requirements, they will not deny me) so that puts me at the 21st being 15 days..but my Dr. only does surgery on certain days...which puts me on the 26th. After my last visit, I have 15 days to get blood work and EKG for medical clearance...this is not for insurance..it's for the anesthesiologist.

Start 7 days pre-op diet consist of "Daily Menu"

(2) 20 gram Protein drinks <--I'm going with Isopure..it's convenient,

Sugar Free- (1) Popsicles (2) Jello (1) pudding,

1 cup Low Sodium broth

1 cup 98% fat free Cream Soup

1 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt <-- I can add 1 T no sugar fruit preserves if I choose to

4 oz. V8 juice

2 cups Herbal Tea <-- I'm going with Cinnamon Apple

4 cups of Water

Actually it's 7 days, but the last day I have nothing but fluids.

I am nervous, scared, excited...curious if it's going to work..I have the will power, but negative nancy pocks her gosh dern head in there sometimes...I quit smoking after 35 years smoking...I am currently drinking 1 shake per day (Biochem 100% vanilla whey Protein - NUT told me to mix with Almond Milk, not bad), and eating good for the most part..I haven't lost very much..but I haven't gained which is a good thing. My hair was short, and barley grows..so I got body wave put in so if I do experience Hair loss it won't be so noticeable.

I have these awesome dreams about being able to do my own pedicures, tie my own shoes, walk around amusement parks without getting winded or have to sit down a lot or can't make it through day like everyone else can....being able to get nice cute clothes verses the tents in the Plus Size section...so many things..but ..I also have nightmares of failing...I wouldn't be getting this "gift" if I were able to lose weight on my own...so what if I take this "gift" for granted...and abuse it the same way I abused my body for 50 years? You would think being 50 years old..I should of known better to eat that 2nd plate..or eat the piece of cake that your friend was saving for tomorrow...or even worse..sit down to watch a movie and eat a whole "big" bag of chips, with the french onion dip mind you....how could I have possibly allowed myself to get to that point?

I used to be a member of a BBW club for years...and at first I was actually the thinnest one of the group of over 75 people whom met at least once a month for a get together...so when they had food...I was like..yum YUM...I can eat this and still be thinner....nope...didn't work that way..had I known better. Eventually, I was getting concerned because the other BBW's I hung around with enjoyed being big, loved it....didn't want to give up good food blah blah...however, a few became ill with diabetes and couldn't figure out why...which essentially was my straw after finding out I too...was now a diabetic.

I thought and thought to myself that this BBW group would not be the ones that would support me through my journey..as a matter of fact one of the ladies had a tummy staple many years ago..and she is 5 times the size she was back then (saw pictures), on top of which....she has told me several times...that I am making the wrong choice....guess what...this is MY life and I care that I was just diagnosed with diabetes, I care that my weight is stopping me from the things in life I am supposed to be enjoying....and ya know what? I want to live!! That's all the convincing I needed....JUST TO LIVE!

Sorry I was a bit long winded, it was one of those "get it off your chest" days!! Thank you for reading

I am scheduled for Nov 24th in mexico. i cant wait but now many people are trying to tell me i can do it without surgery to just follow Protein diet. im 40 and heaviest ever. help,,,,,thoughts, confused. people are saying ill be forced to control myself after surgery so why not control myself now??? please help. confused. i really want it but sense im getting the same advice im 2nd guessing myself.

Remember, don't listen to what others think. They are not in your shoes. If this is what you want, and you think it's best for you, then do it. I myself am turning 40 this month, and am at the heaviest myself, my doctor talked to me about my health, and we both determined that this was best for me. I have already lost some weight to prepare myself for this surgery. I'm eating about 1000- 1200 calories a day, and stopped all caffeine. I wanted to prepare myself for that dreadful prep diet. Just remember these people are not you. Good luck.

chicogirl, my dr has been for this for 10 years. It was my spouse and a few other opinions giving me a hard time. I know I want this and just have to not listen to others. My spouse is working overtime to afford it. He says that should be enough support. I told him it's not. I cannot even begin to thank him for working OT for me, however I need the support mentally/emotionally too. We got through that last night and I am feeling much better. So Nov 24th for me.

oh I just turned 40 also and an aunt of mine (our bodies are built alike) just died of a sudden heart attack. Kinda puts things into perspective. Plus I loved her lots. We have lots of people in our family that took after the skinny side and then the heavy side, the heavier side people are all dead. Except me. This is one of the reasons I want the surgery. Its time for me to be a bit selfish and take care of me. If I could do it tomorrow I would, but lack of funds. thanks for listening.

This is my very first post! I am awaiting insurance approval with a tentative date of Nov 4th! Six years ago I had lapband surgery and lost almost 100 lbs. when my band slipped and had to be removed 3 years later they offered to convert me to the sleeve and I said no way! I've got this eating thing figured out! WRONG!!!!! I've gained back 100 lbs and am now doing what I should have done three years ago. I'm more nervous going in this time than I was with the lapband because I realize what a huge lifestyle change this is having gone through it before. I keep telling myself that the things I am giving up are the things that have gotten me to this point and remembering all the amazing things I'm going to gain by losing the weight!

I'm scheduled for November 10th. I am so ready for this. I just wish I had done it a long time ago.

I'm waiting for insurance approval, but I am scheduled for November 18. I am excited and nervous at the same time. A few years ago I started the process of getting a band, but I lost so much weight in the months leading up to it that I canceled. Of course I eventually gained most of it back. That makes me very sure that this is something I need to do. Now I just want to get it over with!

I am also waiting for insurance approval but the surgeons office seems to think there is no reason why I wouldn't be approved. Let's hope they are right!!!!