Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't tolerate Protein Shakes post op

I am very recent post op. I had been doing so well on Protein Shakes prior to surgery and actually really liked them. Now, post op, they nauseate me....any good tips on how to get more Protein? I am gonna try some new stuff... Feeling discouraged....

Edited by caitiebrady

I had a post here and every time I post it words get changed and deleted. It is really really weird.

In short,

I use Isopure when I feel like I can't get anything else down. I get the 7.5 bottles which have 15 grams of Protein. Get it really cold and that helps the flavor too. Good luck. I'm sure others will have ideas as well. :-)

Edited by I will what I want

Me, too. GAG. I am just doing the best I can. :(

Herbalife has Protein Powder in fruit favors you mix with Water - an awesome change from Protein Shakes. They also have a high Protein chicken Soup mix that is awesome, one packet mixed with 8oz water is 15 grams. A bit pricey but so worth it not to have a Protein Shake for a couple of days.

You might want to try some different Protein products...not necessarily the shakes. If you go to BariatricChoice.com they have tons of "liquid" products to choose from..... juice flavored drinks, jellos (which I personally loved right after surgery), Soups, etc. My personal favorite is the BariWise Protein hot chocolate. I'm over 1 year post op now and I still have a hot chocolate a couple of times a week.

I found an awesome clerk at Vitamin Shoppe who made me several different trials in the store so I didn't even have to buy it.

I found Muscle Milk brand settled the best. I like every flavor I have tried.

My biggest helps were powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup, easy to mix into Soups and such to bump the Protein. I also now at over a year out will sprinkle some on my steamed broccoli or other meals to boost Protein on days im short. The other is using chocolate or strawberry Protein Powder and mix it into greek yogurt.

I couldnt do Isopure. There are so many things that change post op as far as your tastes.

I had to go with Syntrax Nectar (more like a juice or crystal lite) the first week and Water them down and add ice. I was able to get my water and Protein in because of the thin consistency

I was in the same situation so I recently bought pure Protein creamy vanilla from target 25 G protein really good I mix it with almond milk put in a cup with ice and I know they say no straws but my dr said if that helps get my protein in just use it so I do !

You can also get Protein puddings. And you can of course add powder to things like yogurt. There are unflavored powders you can add to Soups and the like. And chicken Soup flavored Protein even. No need to have something that is too sweet if it is the sweet that is bothering you.

Since I am on general diet the easiest way for me to tolerate my protein is to put a scoop of vanilla body fortress in my coffee, then add flavored sugar free Syrup to it. That way I get my daily caffeine and 30 grams of protein in one fell swoop.

I second the clear (like isopure) or Water mix products like nectar. I also lost my taste for chocolate and vanilla milk based Protein products for the first couple months post op. By the time it came back, I was onto Quest bars. I also add a scoop of chocolate whey to my coffee these days to start my day with a protein boost. There are also protein "shots" available. I think they're nasty and they have like 45g of protein which is wasting half of it as you can only absorb 20-25 at a time, but half a "shot" twice a day would get you on your way to what you need. You can also mix the shot into water or Popsicle or Jello. Me, I'd MISS my protein'd coffee!

I got some unflavored packets today to try. I hope it will help! I'm with you... Those sweet shakes are repulsive now! Never thought I'd say that about anything sweet! Yay!