Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help please!

I want to buy a Protein Powder for my diet but there's so many different ones and I don't know what to pick. What's good for you? What should it have as far as ingredients? Etc? Please help give names and way you guys make your shakes ;-)

These are some that came in a package from my surgeon. I am having surgery on Thursday, so have not tried them, but they look interesting. I purchased the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury vanilla so I can add to it.

banana & Cream

1 c skim milk

4 ice cubes

1/2 frozen banana

1 scoop of Protein powder

Blend Well

AM delight

1 c skim milk

4 ice cubes

1 t nutmeg

1 t vanilla extract

1 scoop Protein Powder

Blend Well

chocolate Chiller

1 c skim milk

1 packet sugar free hot chocolate

1 scoop Protein Powder

Blend well

Fruity smoothie

1/4 c skim milk

3/4 c sugar free beverage

1 scoop Protein powder

1/4 c or less canned fruit (canned in juice or water)

Blend well

High Protein Mouse

1 small sugar fee pudding mix

16 oz fat free cottage cheese

4 oz cool whip light

1 scoop protein powder

Blend cottage cheese until smooth, Add pudding and mix well. Empty into large bowl. Fold in cool whip. Caution this makes several servings.

There is a list of High Protein supplements in my handouts, if I get a chance I will scan and try to get to you. The hand out if rather good and I live by it.

My favorite premade is Premier Protein - best price is costco.

I don't care much for most of the powders, but Syntrax nectar is a good quality one with a bunch of weird flavors. :) You can order a flavor sample pack which is kinda fun. both are very low carb.

Your body can't absorb a bunch of Protein at once, so don't get sucked into having those super high Protein Shots and thinking you are good. I think the best Protein drinks are low carb (I try to stay under 5g a serving) and around 20-30G of protein in a serving.

The main Protein you want to be looking for as the first ingredient in anything is "whey Isolate". It is the best form of Protein in terms of absorption. Unless you are allergic to whey, of course.

Next you want to look at the total protein in a serving. Don't bother with anything under 20 grams of protein. Also be sure to look at the calories and carbs. Some of the flavored protein powders pack in a lot of sugar and you do NOT want that!

I like the Premier Protein too.

Ditto what others have said about Premier Protein...best tasting premix I've had.

As for homemade, I like vanilla Gladiator powder (from smoothie King) blended with a banana, a few frozen strawberries, Almond Milk and ice.....then, when allowed, add some Rum Chatta, Malibu and Grey Goose for one heck of a treat! ;) :P :D

Good luck on your journey!

besides costco, Amazon offers Protein supplies at good prices. when I am choosing a Protein Shake I look first at how many grams of protein is in it and than I look at calories. I don't drink anything less than 20 grams of protein and no more than 130 calories. I have stuck to flavors I like in drinks. it's cold in the morning here so I m now having chocolate truffles from nectar and add it to my coffee. mocha drinks from click. vanilla. pure protein whey. it has 25 gr. of protein but it does have 150 calories. I reserve this drink for when I use it for a meal such as Breakfast. I cannot eat solid food first thing in the morning. you need to experiment you will hate some and love some. I love orange crystal lite with the vanilla

What is good for everyone else is maybe not good for you. The better option is to see what is available where you live and give them a try. The next is for those types of mail order ones and see what you come up with there. Different tastes, different likes, can all make this an interesting thing.

whey isolate Protein is the best quality Protein you can get. It's not a matter of taste. Rather, It has more SOLUABLE protein in it & Your body absorbs and metabolizes this type far better than any other. I usually get it from Vitamin World or GNC.

I make a concoction-smoothie. Milk based (more protein), I toss the recommended amount of chocolate powder in the blender with Wymanns Wild Blueberries (antioxidants) straight out of the freezer (buy them in the frozen section). To that, I add Colon Cleanser (psyllium husks) to keep things moving along, *Warning! Too much will bind you & be a whole other 'situation' to deal with before you can resume normalcy with your band. I add liquid Collegen to restore/maintain elasticity, L-Glutemen (sp?) for muscle-support, Crushed Flaxseed or flax seed oil for Omega 3's (heart & brain function), liquid L-Carnitine (metabolizes fat), and Milk Thistle (supports weight loss). I take my multi-Vitamins & some hyaluronic acid (keeps joints cushy and skin taught) with the shake.

Muscle Milk is good in a pinch too. Muscle Milk has a good array of Vitamins & nutrients in it. They sell it pre-mixed at convenience stores with the individual drinks or you can buy it in quantity at the big box stores. They have powder too. Muscle Milk has more alcohol sugars (sweeteners) in it than whey isolate protein but if you really need to gas up quick & grab a quick meal for the road- Muscle Milk works.

I always use Protein shakes as a Meal Replacement. Not something you want to gulp all day or suck down with meals as your 'drink". I don't count calories, but these shakes ARE caloric!

Protein Bars are good in a pinch too. I like Pure Protein best & buy in bulk at BJ's. Great to keep a couple bars in the purse for those times when you're ravinous and won't get home anytime soon- like when you have to pop & go to work w/ no time to fix a lunch or eat breakfast. The other kind I like are "Supreme"-something found in gas-convenience stores near the candy. They're bigger & feels SO naughty because they taste just like gooey candy bars. When I get the GOTTA HAVE candy/ chocolate, I hit up a small protein bar- guilt free. :)

Best luck in your journey.

OH! The best time to consume a Protein shake is right after a workout.

Exercise literally shreds muscles.

Protein within the 1st hr, post workout, rebuilds muscle. ;)

In my opinion Protein shakes taste terrible. Some are worse than others, so the important thing is to find something that you can tolerate.

i ordered a bunch of free samples or individual servings to taste them. there was a listing of them at http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/173041-where-to-get-protein-foods-and-samples/?hl=+free +sample

ugh, i can't get the link to copy properly... the "+sample" is part of the link. just search here in the forums, or google the web, for Protein powder FREE SAMPLE

whey Protein ISOLATE is the best form of Protein.

I get premier Protein shakes from insure nutrition (insurance covered my shakes). follow the ad on site.

also got sample pack from Syntrax nectar. pretty good.

also have an Isopure unflavored to add to recipes. (amazon)

and a vanilla whey isolate from Amazon their number one best seller here:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Fortress-Advanced-Isolate-Vanilla/dp/B004EQR53Q/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1407520571&sr=1-1&keywords=isolate

I ordered 20-25 different manufacturers and flavors of Protein samples from Nashua Nutrition for under $2 each. They offered the widest variety of samples available even manufacturers that don't offer a single serving size. Sign up for emails on their website to get discounts emailed to you. They seem to offer free shipping at $49 every month or so. I waited for a free shipping offer and ordered all of my samples then. Nashua also sent me an assortment of 3 different product samples in my order. I know Unjury also sells a sample or starter pack on their website. Personally, I have read so much about your tastes changing after surgery, I am saving all of the samples to try after surgery. Why waste them now when I may not like them later? Good luck and I hope you find something that you love and meets your needs.

I vote for Premier Protein from costco as well. 30 grams each morning to start off my day!