Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss is such a crap shoot. Biotin is either a gift from God or expensive pee. I was one of the fortunate few who did not have Hair loss beyond a few extra strays around the house. My program required 80 grams of Protein, 80 ounces of non-caloric fluids, and 800-1200 calories. I bout Nature's Bounty Biotin 10,000 mcg twice a day.

I don't know if that is why, but I was prepared for it just in case. All you can do is expect the worst and hope for the best. Biotin may be the best thing you ever bought.....or not.

I too had the same question..... so asked my NUT. My hair(although I am 54) is past my waist, and very thick. She said if I don't get my Protein in the first 3 months I will lose some of my hair. She said it will not show up until after the first 3 months. So will make sure I will get my protein or more in and hope for the best.

I have heard two people who swear by collagen. One of the women had previously been through chemo an said it not only made her hair grow back faster, it was healthy and shine. So I plan to take.

I agree with Miss Mac - total crap shoot. You may lose a lot, you may lose none.

According to my doctor there isn't anything you can do to prevent losing - your body thinks that hair is optional (I disagree). You can help the regrowth however...she approved Biotin and Folic Acid for the regrowth. I used Nioxin Shampoo, again for regrowth. I used Toppik to cover the thin spots. Getting in my Protein minimum was never an issue.

I started losing my hair at 2 months...not a lot, but noticable when I was in the shower. By the 4th month I was losing copious amounts of hair daily - my hands were covered in the shower and the floor was covered after drying and styling. I truly thought I was going to lose all my hair. There was hair everywhere - my pillow, under my desk chair, on my clothes, on the couch, etc. I cried, I worried, I lamented. I went for a short cut to hide the really thin spots.

At 6 months, the loss stopped and I started to see regrowth. I'm sticking with the short cut for another couple months as the new growth is slowly catching up. My stylist the other day said, "I don't know how this is possible, but it seems like it's growing back thicker!" I don't know about that, but I can see it's growing back and for that, I am thankful.

At the end of the day, would I do this all over again knowing I would lose so much hair? Heck yeah! Totally worth it.

Thank you! I am on Biotin and sync and have upped my Protein for the last year so I praying I don't lose I already have thin hair but right now it's really healthy. Whatever happens just happens I know my heart and body will be healthier and hair can grow back I'll get a cute wig lol! I wanna do prevention but it'll all be worth it. ????????????????????

I use Biotin still at almost 2 years out. As a boost to my hair and in hopes that if another complication comes to me that I cannot eat for months. At least I have tried something to help my hair. Does that even sound logical. I don't know!

I googled like mad and even saw my Dr. to try to stop my hair loss.

I tried brushing with a special scalp stimulating brush and used a hair skin and nails supplement (containing biotin) and was also on a contraceptive pill for it too. I even used an anti-dandruff Shampoo with ingredients to combat dandruff caused by fungal infection in case it was a fungal thing (thanks for making me paranoid Dr. Google).

Still, my hands were full of hair in the shower from month 3.

Thankfully, I had my Hair loss stop entirely just 3 days after commencing treatment with 2 products taken daily (combined).

How I heard about it:

I read a book about gut health that described how many studies are linking the majority of illnesses in humans in western society back to malnutrition caused by compromised gut flora resulting in mal-absorption of the nutrients that we do actually intake. This is then compounded by our poor diet (take away/processed food) and mineral deficiencies that are common in western society . The information presented led me to suspect that my hair loss could be attributed to the same; due to undergoing stomach gastrectomy – it just made a lot of sense that my good bacteria would have taken a beating during that type of surgery.

The writer of the book recommended a product called Nuferm Organic 2012 mixed with organic green barley grass.

What is Nuferm Organic 2012 / organic green barley grass ? :

Nuferm Organic 2012 is an extremely high quality non-dairy, non refrigerated pro-biotic power containing 20 organic living wholefoods that are broken down (fermented) with 12 strains of Lactobacilli bacteria to enhance the foods goodness.

The (Certified) Organic green barley grass is sourced in New Zealand and is described as the most complete food for humans on the planet – full of natural state Vitamins, minerals, enzymes & amino acids in a form that is easy for your body to recognize and use.

The website that I bought the green barley grass product through quoted:

After 10 years of research Japans foremost nutritional researcher said,
"My research has shown that the green leaves of the embryonic barley plant contain the most prolific balanced supply of nutrients that exist on earth in a single source." Yoshihide Hagiwara, MD

Why are they to be used together ? :

The writer essentially describes that the 2012 gives you the relevant bacteria that allow nutrient absorption and the barley then supplies the nutrients we are lacking.

I took the two together until the containers were empty. If you are eating well and are not on antibiotics the bacteria will prosper – this meat that I did not need to buy another set of the 2 products once they were gone because the bacteria had multiplied/colonised inside of me.

What it cost:

Price Australian: $54.95 (2012 product) + Price: $29.95 (Barley Grass) = $84.90 total

How I used it:

½ - 1 teaspoon 2012 + 1 heaped teaspoon of the green barley in one glass of Water (I used alkalized water).

I tried to do this first thing in the morning, empty stomach but often didn’t get to it so I did it late at night sometimes instead.

One other thing:

I feel it important to add that I had also added Himalayan pink salt to my diet 2 weeks prior to commencing the 2012 and barley grass regime. I was using it daily as I had read that it is a complete mineral supplement as it supplies the 84 minerals that the human body needs.

I find it is most economical to buy the salt from the cooking section at the grocery store it only costs a few dollars in a grinder.