Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your start weight & why lap-band?

I am in the information-gathering stage of my journey.

I am trying to gage where most lap-banders begin and what was the one (or many) facts that made you go for lap band opposed to the sleeve.

Thanks!!!!

I had been struggling with my weight for many years, even went on Weight Watchers for a year , lost a whole 12 lbs in a year. Then a relative had lap band in the Spring of 2011, so I started looking into it for myself. I did my research on the band only, I was' nt interested in anything else. No rerouting my insides, thankyouverymuch ! I was banded Dec, 2011 and immediately started loosing weight . I lost my 1st 50 lbs in 7 months, then it slowed a bit but I still lost another 15 to get to a healthy 160. I literally got my life back! I swim , walk, run , travel, shop for cute clothes (size 10 !) and live a normal life with a healthy relationship with food. I wouldn't change a thing about being banded ! Good luck !

Thanks for the info Pink Dahlia. Sucess stories are excellent motivators and your story sounds very realistic and healthy. I am currently 240 and would love to have a similar outcome. A size 10 sounds like heaven :) ..... yes, I know we are all different but a girl can dream!! I just attended a WLS seminar and I am still weighing the facts between the band and the sleeve.

My starting weight was 283 lbs. I have done all of the fad diets over the years including multiple attempts at Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, Slim Fast, just to name a few. The most I ever lost on any diet was about 70 lbs and I gained it all back(and then some). I had reached a point where my health was really beginning to suffer as a direct result of my obesity. I had hypertension, heart palpitations, type 2 diabetes, and was on multiple medications. I decided to look into WLS in January 2013. The only 2 surgeries I was willing to consider were lap-band and gastric sleeve. I ultimately decided on lap-band because it is less invasive, reversible, and can be revised to the sleeve, if needed, at a later date. The reverse is not true. I was also very uncomfortable with having part of my stomach removed, concerned with leaks, and other post-op complications that can happen with the sleeve. I was banded on December 20, 2013, so less than a year ago. My current weight is 148 lbs. I have lost a total of 135 lbs. I have gone from a size 24 to a size 6 in pants and dresses, and from a size 3x-4x down to a size small in tops. The best part is that I am off all my cardiac, blood pressure, and diabetes medications. The only meds I take now are synthroid because I have hypothyroidism(and even that is only 1/3 the dose I was on before), zyrtec for seasonal allergies, a Multivitamin, and Calcium supplement. This was absolutely THE best decision I ever made and I would do it all over again! The only regret that I have is that I didn't do it sooner! Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do!

Started at 302. Scared to make a permanent change to my stomach because of the uncertainty of the future,and whether I would have stomach issues in my older years. If that sounds weird, what I mean is that my mom, who has arthritis just like I do, ended up with a stomach bleed due to arthritis medications. I always worry about the decades that I was on NSAIDs and what damage might've been done to my stomach already. Anyway, the band was reversible if needed. Not that I intend to take it out, but if I ever had to, I could.

I am 35 years old and very nervous of how WLS will affect my body decades down the road. I hope that WLS provides me the aid I need to live a long and healthy life, but at the same time the data for those time frames are not easily uncovered. Lapband does seem to provide the most long time options, but stats on it staying implanted for 20+ years isn't advertised either.

It very smart of you to research and question everything ! Its your body, health, and future. So go for what is best for you and you alone. Also, make sure you have a good working relationship with your Dr. You and he/she will be on the same team for a looooonnnnggggg time, so make sure you're on the same page. As far as a 20 year study, etc ? I figure even 20 yrs of a healthy body is better than more years in an unhealthy body. No more sleep apnea, digestive problems, being dead tired all the time, trying to literally haul myself up stairs, etc......... I'll take it !

I agree completely... my biggest fear at this point is to wake up in another 5 or 10 years and realize & regret that I have wasted even more time, become bigger & unhealthier. This was my realization these past few months and I will not allow myself to sit idol and relive some of the sad, pathetic, embarrassing experiences I recently encountered.

Thank you all for your inputs, you have all helped me and I love hearing your personal stories because I can truly relate!!

I hope that my venting about where I am in my journey gives you some perspective or jolts a memory of your own and makes you remember where you were and in turn gives you a pride boost. I want to be where you are, I want to be on the other side of this conversation.... I'm just nervous about making such a huge life decision

Thanks again

I am in the information-gathering stage of my journey.

I am trying to gage where most lap-banders begin and what was the one (or many) facts that made you go for lap band opposed to the sleeve.

Thanks!!!!

i was 336 pounds and wearing a snug size 30 and was as wide as i am tall

my insurance does not approve sleeves and i was (too scared to have bypass).

so i opted with the lap band...my dr even rolled his eyes at me and gave me a yeah, you will fail look. someone supersized like me had to make a decision to get well or lie to myself and the doctor and say yes i will do whatever it takes...that decision was mine to make...any WLS will only do so much

2 1/2 years later

i have done hospital seminars

been filmed 2 times for tv commercials

been in magazines

have a national blog w/awards

not bragging but i came from someone who couldnt wipe her ass

to where i am today...

whatever WLS you have, use it as the dr advises for best results

do the best you can, no excuses, no BS drama...and make yourself well.

each day that passes is one we do not get back.

we wasted enough...now time to get living..

Do your research but just remember, if you are looking for negatives, you can find them, if you're looking for positives you will find them too. You will be the biggest factor in this equation. It will only work if you work it. The same with all wls surgeries. I have a friend who had bypass and lost 40 lbs and never another. She recently visited her surgeon and asked about lapbanding cuz her son, daughter and husband have been successful with it. He did tests and told her theres nothng wrong with her pouch, she's eating around it. You can do the same thing with band and sleeve. Do your research with the thought in mind that its a tool and if you do your part, it will work. I've lost 82 lbs and am keeping it off. I have no regrets.

Hi Erika, congratulations on choosing yourself and your healthy future -- I really think that's what weight loss surgery is all about. The band was a gift -- a way of stepping up for myself -- and it has enabled me to get my life back. I am 53 and had spent decades struggling with my weight. My only regret is that I was not able to do this before. The weight loss is great and I am SO happy but for me the most amazing thing has been getting out of food jail. I had so much chatter in my head all the time about whether to have whatever and when and what will I have next and round and round I'd go. The lapband works by dimming the appetite, and having that appetite monster off of my back has been such a relief. I feel at peace with food.

Let's see, to answer your questions -- weight high of 252 prior to surgery and now I'm in the eighties (yippee!). I wore a size 18 Lee long jeans and am now in size 10 the same brand. Was in 1X and mostly 2X tops and now wear larges and sometimes a medium. My profile was like Winnie-the-Pooh -- belly weight -- and now I have a relatively flat tummy. I feel GOOD. Strong and healthy, sassy clothes. I even cut my hair very short and am back into funky jewelry, colorful tights -- the things I used to love but had given up because I was trying to hide out all the time (jeans and a black top -- slimming, right?).

I never considered anything but the band and I don't believe there is one surgery that is better than another -- there's the surgery that's right for ME and that's all I can address. I love my band. It requires an ongoing relationship with the surgeon particularly in the first year. There's a learning curve. Because the band is adjustable, we have to learn how to really listen to our bodies and getting the right fill is key to the whole thing. I don't think it's hard to get there but we're all different -- some of us don't get fills at all (those are mostly plication people -- plication plus band is something I would think about if I were starting off now, did not know about it before) and some of us have had several fills. I look forward to going to my surgeon's office. My next visit is about a month from now when I'll be celebrating my first year "Bandaversary." I don't think I need a fill but it seems like when I drop a chunk then an adjustment is required. I chose the band because it is a reversible procedure -- it's not permanent and if ever needed it could be removed. I don't worry about twenty years from now because I'm sure there will be a lot of advancements in bariatric care. I like it that the band is around the outside of my stomach and the inside is not cut, etc. But that's just me. People who are anti-band talk about how weird it is to have a "foreign object" installed inside but that doesn't bother me at all. I love my band (have I mentioned that, lol!). Hope this helps. You may get a lot of back and forth responses -- just know what is important is that you are choosing to do something about your weight and that is an amazing thing. The tool you choose is not as important as the fact that you are facing your issues and getting help. Reclaiming my life has been so exciting -- I feel as excited today as I did a year ago when I was waiting for my surgery. Get ready for a wild ride!

CG said, "each day that passes is one we do not get back."

Yes.

My addiction to food was killing me. My health insurance would not cover any type of WLS. So I chose the lap band. I paid for the surgery myself. It was what I could afford. My choice would have been the sleeve. With the band you have to go in for fills until you reach the green zone. This may take some time... You are blessed to have insurance that covers WLS. I am blessed that I could pay for my surgery. Best wishes to you.

I'm getting banded tomorrow. I am 5'7" and my starting weight was around 262. I have lost 3 lbs on my 5 day liquid pre-op diet.

Most of my excess weight (to the tune of about 85 lbs) has come on following a series of traumatic events 5 years ago. I don't eat a lot of unhealthy foods. I just eat too large quantities of fairly healthy foods.

I chose the lap band because I am hoping it will be an effective tool to get my appetite under control so that I can eat smaller quantities of the healthy foods that I enjoy. I didn't give much serious consideration to the sleeve or the bypass, as I wanted the least invasive solution with the lowest rate of life-threatening complications. The objection I see many people raise about having a "foreign object" In their body doesn't scare me, as I have Allergan breast implants from a mastectomy and they have given me absolutely no trouble at all.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision. I commend you for doing this research early on. I hope it helps you to figure out what if any W LS surgery is right for you.