Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay while reading through this thread I have been wondering about opinions on something. For those who are pro choice- If a woman is 6 months pregnant and someone were to beat her and cause a miscarriage would you consider that murder? I am pro choice but I struggle with this because I know if I were that pregnant woman in the situation I would feel as if my child was murdered. Yet if there is no life until birth then how could a murder take place. It almost makes me feel like a bit of a hypocrite in a way. Does it make a difference because that baby was "wanted" and an aborted baby is "unwanted"?

Okay while reading through this thread I have been wondering about opinions on something. For those who are pro choice- If a woman is 6 months pregnant and someone were to beat her and cause a miscarriage would you consider that murder? I am pro choice but I struggle with this because I know if I were that pregnant woman in the situation I would feel as if my child was murdered. Yet if there is no life until birth then how could a murder take place. It almost makes me feel like a bit of a hypocrite in a way. Does it make a difference because that baby was "wanted" and an aborted baby is "unwanted"?

Yes, according to Law & Order a beating which causes a miscarriage is considered murder even if the intent of that beating was to cause the miscarriage. The particular episode to which I am referring concerned a young pregnant woman and her boyfriend who were attempting to obtain an abortion but fell into the hands of a right to life group pretending to provide abortions. The clinic delayed her chance of being able to abort until it was too late under New York state law and thus she resorted to having her boyfriend beat the unwanted child out of her. The pair of them ended up being charged with murder.

I am pro choice but I struggle with this because I know if I were that pregnant woman in the situation I would feel as if my child was murdered. Yet if there is no life until birth then how could a murder take place. It almost makes me feel like a bit of a hypocrite in a way. Does it make a difference because that baby was "wanted" and an aborted baby is "unwanted"?

There is a definite dichotomy in the law. And really, it doesn't make any sense. The only time the baby's life has value is when the mother wants the baby. Which is ridiculous, really. Since when do we base the value of life on how others feel about us?

I agree, it should be cut and dry. if the baby's life is a life when it is wanted, it should not be considered non-life if it is unwanted. it still might have the same value to others that would be touched by that life. its like valuing something that is up for auction...sort of like one man's trash is another man's treasure. Someone out there would want that baby even if the mother doesn't, and therefore it should be given the chance to survive.

I also agree that it should be cut and dry. If the fetus is not viable, it shouldn't be considered murder. Period. And until the technology is available to pass a fetus from one womb to another, I don't think one person's standards of morality should be used as a legal requirement of what other people should do.

Well, it does come down to this business of differing belief systems, I guess. With respect to this debate there are a variety views as to when the fertilized egg actually becomes a human being. Some of us believe that life must not be tampered with once the foetus can survive outside the womb, others believe that this begins at the moment the fertilized egg implants itself in the wall of the uterus, others charge that life becomes life at the moment of conception. Depending on your beliefs you will hold differing attitudes towards this question of the legitimacy of abortion.

We all firmly believe that we are correct and are the most compassionate in our own chosen viewpoint. Right to lifers are focussed on the rights of the pre-born. And those pro-choice abortionists are primarily concerned with the situation of those women who are already here and find themselves stuck. The present laws are reasonable, I think. No one who doesn't want to have an abortion will be forced to have one.

I am pro-choice because they say that you cannot judge until you are in the situation yourself, but I have to say that I am an adoptive mother of three beautiful children, these children are the most wonderful gift from above. Had their birthmothers not chosen to give them life the most unselfish thing they could ever do then these little beings would not be here with us. I am amazed at the strength and courage these women had. We adopted our children at birth and I could see that it was so painful for the birthmothers. Each one personally handed us the baby and left the hospital empty. We had the chance to stay with them at the hospital and they told us that a part of them knew they could avoid this pain if they had aborted but they said that they put theirselves second and thought of all the families that prayed for a baby but could not have one. You know I myself may of had an abortion as a teen if I was able to get pregnant but now that I saw first handed the most unslefish thing a woman could do I thank god I was never put into that situation. I am still pro life and do not judge anyone who finds themself in a situation of abortion but I wish there would be more education for woman who are faced in an unplanned pregnancy. I thank god every day and the birthmoms for my precious babies. Thanks so much for listening. We are wanting to adopt one more time and I think it is so sad the agencies have to charge so much , we paid at least 25 thousand for each adoption and have had to finance every penny. If there was a place that families could meet birthmoms and connect they could help the birthmom financially maybe more than an agency does legally of course. Just for the heck of it please all who reads this if you ever hear of a situation of adoption we are interested and would love to know. We are homestudy ready for one more child. There is a saying if you look to adopt , they say to tell everyone and maybe by luck someome may know someone who knows someone else ect... Thanks so much Kim