Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Feel Band Squeezing Your Stomach?

Hello All!

I've been researching bariatric surgery for awhile. Today, I scheduled my first appointment with a surgeon for a couple weeks from now... yippee! Pretty sure I can work through all the surgical pain/recovery, "rules" and lifestyle changes I've read about. However, there is one question that keeps eating away at me. Can you feel the band squeezing your stomach, connecting tube and/or port inside your body on a regular basis? For some reason, the possibility of that really freaks me out! If so, do you eventually just get used to having a foreign object in your body? How long does it take to get used to it?

Also... thank you to the veterans who humor all the silly questions posted by us newbies! You all are an inspiration and sooooo helpful!

Mostly when you lose the weight you can only feel the port & you get used to it ,you can't feel the band just the port it really isn't bad like I said you get used to it.

No! Can't feel the band in that way at all. What we feel is the effects of the band but not the band itself.

You can feel the port near your skin by touching your stomach. You can't feel the band at all.

Hi no can't feel any of it . With certain foods sometime it feels like you have eaten whole if that makes since xxx

I started to laugh when I read this post but realized if one is not banded, then it's a legitimate question. So yes...as the others have said, you cannot feel the band. As you lose weight, you will be able to feel the port because it will stick out but you don't feel anything 'inside' your body.

You guys are the best!!! Yeah, I felt a little ridiculous asking, but since it's been bothering me, just decided to put it out there. Thank you so much... feeling calmer already! Didn't want an unfounded fear to stand in the way of a better life. :D

No...don't feel the band at all...

Good question, though! Add another voice to the choir: I don't know my band is there.

"Can you feel the band squeezing your stomach, connecting tube and/or port inside your body on a regular basis? "

......no....

the port is visible bump after I my Fat Iceburg melted.....I can also touch my ribs & hip bones!!! THAT was a freak out the first time since 1957!!!!

@@Jack LOL!

That was a main concern of mine before I got the band too. I remember worrying that it would make things awkward if it was poking my husband in the chest when we hugged etc rofl.

Anyway Im noticing that the more weight I lose the more I can feel the port, especially after a good session of crunches, I was a little cautious of touching it at first thinking it would be fragile but after a while it just starts to feel like a part of you.. A special knob to turn on your life :-D

When I got pregnant with twins It really made me realize just how much the port can handle being shoved around, so now I never worry about it! Good luck!

@@gin765 no such thing as a silly question! I asked a zillion when I was researching and getting my head ready for banded life. We have fun here...

"Can you feel the band squeezing your stomach, connecting tube and/or port inside your body on a regular basis? "

......no....

the port is visible bump after I my Fat Iceburg melted.....I can also touch my ribs & hip bones!!! THAT was a freak out the first time since 1957!!!!

......no....

Yeah, but I can now see my TOES!!! LOL!

The rest comes later, but we won't go there on here.

Edited by labwalker