Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgendered Bandsters

Hi Everyone!! Day 4 of post op. Day two was the worst so far. Very sore. Today I got to have thicker liquids like slimfast and v8 juice. My energy level is better and I'm not nearly as sore. :blink: Thanks God I have a wonderful supportive woman who takes amazing care of me. Not sure how anyone could do something like this alone. Moving at all with insision marks on you belly is tough. Having someone who loves you help you to do everything from pulling up your panties to giving you nurishment really affermes your love and committment to each other. I expect tomorrow to go even more smoothly. I am finally thinking about eating something. Firtst three days I only drank something because I had to. Now I want to. That's got to be good news.

Thats nice to have someone help like that. Good luck with healing and with the weight loss process!

I did too much today! I thought I was ready to go back to work, I wasn't. I was there for about an hour and I was clammy, hot, and starting to feel dizzy. I haven't been nausous in this process so I left work before I did. I came home and knocked myself out with anti-nausia med. and slept til now. Note to self, take you time and don't go back to soon. This was major surgery and you deserve to have the time to heal.

I did too much today! I thought I was ready to go back to work, I wasn't. I was there for about an hour and I was clammy, hot, and starting to feel dizzy. I haven't been nausous in this process so I left work before I did. I came home and knocked myself out with anti-nausia med. and slept til now. Note to self, take you time and don't go back to soon. This was major surgery and you deserve to have the time to heal.

I was allowed 2 weeks sick leave and I took the full 2 weeks. I was still beat for about a week when IO got home from work...so yse like you said don't rush back to work.

I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to work on Monday. I had no choice but I wish I had more time to rest and heal. But I made it thru anyway. I would definately have wished for more time though. Hope you are healing well!

Today (9 days post op) I feel stronger and more ready to resume regular activities than any other time I have tried :sad:. I have been getting lots or rest. I am getting very tired of liquids only though. I'm wondering if that maybe the cause of low enerygy levels. I may ease into mushies a few days before my doctor visit just so I can really get my stamina back.

Hello All,

I am new to the site and wanted to say hello. I live in the Philadelphia area and came across this site. Glad to see that we have a group on here separate for us as well. I have visited quite a bit of threads and read as much as I could and also good to see the Philadelphia group supporters as well. Just wanted to stop by and say hello all.

PartyWithMook:cool2:

Hello All,

I am new to the site and wanted to say hello. I live in the Philadelphia area and came across this site. Glad to see that we have a group on here separate for us as well. I have visited quite a bit of threads and read as much as I could and also good to see the Philadelphia group supporters as well. Just wanted to stop by and say hello all.

PartyWithMook:cool2:

Hello!!!!!

Hello All~

New to this thread-have been following an ohio thread for a while,so I could try to decide if all this was right for me. I am having my band placed September 9th. Still trying to wrap my mind around everything. Not feeling hungry would be great,but I tend to eat out of boredom,and sometimes out of emotion so am trying to figure out how I will handle all the mental stuff. I do know I MUSt get healthier,and the time is NOW!

I have a partner;she and I have been together almost ten years. She is still a bit hesitant about me having the band placed,or more so how it will affect our relationship when I lose all the weight. She has been over weight for several years-not morbidly obese,but obese. She is ten years older than I am,and our interests are very different. The main thing we have in common now is eating out... I like outdoorsy stuff-camping,hiking,horseback riding... I know when I lose the weight I will want to do those things plus even more, so I am not sure how that will all fit into our relationship either. I try ot get her to go do things with me,but she says she is older,and those things just don't interest her anymore. I CAN'T just eat for entertainment anymore though... I have gained one hundred pounds since we have been together,and I feel every one of them!! She supports my decision to get healthy,but we are both scared to a degree...Change is scary! Anyway, that is my story! Glad to see other "family" members on here! Wish me luck,and if anyone has any advice do tell!!

Joyce:lol:

Hello All~

New to this thread-have been following an ohio thread for a while,so I could try to decide if all this was right for me. I am having my band placed September 9th. Still trying to wrap my mind around everything. Not feeling hungry would be great,but I tend to eat out of boredom,and sometimes out of emotion so am trying to figure out how I will handle all the mental stuff. I do know I MUSt get healthier,and the time is NOW!

I have a partner;she and I have been together almost ten years. She is still a bit hesitant about me having the band placed,or more so how it will affect our relationship when I lose all the weight. She has been over weight for several years-not morbidly obese,but obese. She is ten years older than I am,and our interests are very different. The main thing we have in common now is eating out... I like outdoorsy stuff-camping,hiking,horseback riding... I know when I lose the weight I will want to do those things plus even more, so I am not sure how that will all fit into our relationship either. I try ot get her to go do things with me,but she says she is older,and those things just don't interest her anymore. I CAN'T just eat for entertainment anymore though... I have gained one hundred pounds since we have been together,and I feel every one of them!! She supports my decision to get healthy,but we are both scared to a degree...Change is scary! Anyway, that is my story! Glad to see other "family" members on here! Wish me luck,and if anyone has any advice do tell!!

My gf and I both had our bands done around the same time. Her weight loss has been quick and mine has been very slow. Would your gf consider having it done with you? Maybe your new eating habits will encourage her to lose weight along with you if she doesnt want to have the band done. And as you both lose together maybe you will be able to share interests ..old or new ones. Yes change is scary but its also wonderful. If the two of you have love ..it will work out. Good luck to you!

Hello All~

I understand where you are coming from. My spouse was wayyyy against it when I was going for gastric bypass about 2 and a half years ago so it kind of made me turn against doing it and I didn't get it. Now that I heard and learned more about the Lap band I am kind of doing things on my own without her knowing what I am doing. I only have my best friend supporting me. My wife does kind of know now that I am possibly getting it but all I tell her is I am seeing a nutritionist and dietician. I feel like she should support me with this decision I am making but she says she is supporting me by helping me exercise more and she thinks that I can do it on my own without the surgery because I have lost 33lbs on my own without surgery and she is wayyy against it. I don't know what to tell her when the time comes. I still have about another 3 months to go with testing and seeing the doctors.

Mook

Why is she against it for you? Is it because of the bypass? That is a whole differant deal. I would start with bringing her to the meetings and letting her ask questions and talk to others. My wife and I are 2 years out and doing well with it. Just came from the doctor and all my blood levels are in line. 2 years ago that was not the case. Iam down to 175 from a high of 250. and been at that point for a while now. Any questions just ask. We are here to support everyone.

Chris

Well well well... i dont know how many of the same folks are still here... but i'm back. :thumbup: its been sooooooooo long and i feel like a complete failure. so many of you helped me get my band and i've failed. :)

i havent been to this site since march of 2008. i was banded in october of 2007. i think i made it to my 3rd fill before i ended up unable to drink or eat for almost 2 weeks. ended up total dehydrated and really sick. so i had all my Fluid taken out and i waited about 6 months and tried again. well i got sick again. so i said screw it. in dec of 2008 i had all my fluid removed and havent went back. thru all of this i had some hoooooooooooorrrrible relationships which i think could have been causing my failure. i dont know.

fast forward to current day. i am happier than i have ever been. i'm in the best relationship i've ever been in. we are engaged and things are amazing. however... my highest weight was 275, i was 263 on the day of surgery and i got down to 237 when i was sick. as of saturday i'm 263 again. :( i guess i could look at it as i havent gained more than i ever was. i dunno its hard to think positive though. but anyways i think i'm ready to try this again and start over. what do yall think? i think i'm going to go to the doc and get a fill. i feel like my g/f will support me and help me stay positive and that maybe this time i can do it.

i'm sorry for disappearing everyone but i'm back in full affect......

Stevee,

Sorry to hear of your personal experience. Glad you are back to give it another try. Your post reminds me how vigilant we must be with weight loss. The Lapband was not a solution but a tool. Along your journey you had challenges that you could not overcome at the time. I think it sounds like you are in a new state of mind and ready to move forward. I think you need to make some personal commitments to assure your success. Here’s my take on what they are.

• Surgeon/Nutritionist - Go back to your surgeon and nutritionist. Actively involve yourself in their decisions and directions. Don’t be afraid to call them if a fill feels wrong or you are in pain. You are paying the surgeon and have the right to question him/her. Some surgeons just shove people thru hte process. Don't let this happen again. Make sure your diet fits your lifestyle and is doable. Keep in touch with these folks regularly to help guide you along the way.

• Diet - Be vigilant on your diet and what you are eating. It’s more about a lifestyle change than about a diet. Add those calories for your first months and get that Protein up. Make yourself accountable to you. That is what is important.

• Exercise – I know that’s a bad word for many. For me, it was what really transformed my life. It does not have to be a hard gym workout. Start with walking and regularly do this. Again, make yourself accountable to exercise. As the weight drops, you will be able to do more. Once you get into that exercise mode, it becomes a habit.

• Support – Use support mechanisms to the max. Join your local support group and attend. These folks helped me immensely. On-line communities like this one are also great. I don’t chat here a lot. I like the www.obesityhelp.com GLBT forum the best. It is a very active board with great folks.

I know these may not be new to you. To me they are what made my loss a success.

Tom

PS: I was 273 at my highest in 2007. 258 when I started the process in Feb 2008. I am 186 today.

thanks tom. i appreciate the encouragement. i have to wait a little bit though. i currently owe my surgeon $130, and he won't see me til i pay him, so i'm going to have to wait it out. i'll be able to pay him off the beginning of dec.

Hi there, I am bi and single (but I lean towards women). Just had my surgery Oct 30 and am doing great!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone :confused: