Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgendered Bandsters

thanks, julie and az... have been visiting this site often in the last few days and it's helped a lot. hope you all are having a good start to the summer.

Hello Eddie,

Thanks for the new thread. My name is Yenken and I have been with my partner for five years now. We are in long distance relationship right now as I live in Jersey and she is in NC. I'm originally from NJ but moved to NC five years ago. I moved back to NJ to go to nursing school. One more year then I'm off to NC.

The long distance thing is hard but we make it work. We take alternate months to see eachother but I miss her dearly. I'm going to NC on the 15th so I can't wait.

She's the 'athletic type' (butch) with no weight issues...although she has gained some weight she's still fine. I, on the otherhand, have been overweight my whole life. No sob stories to tell but overweight nonetheless.

Initially, I had opted for the bypass and she was soooooo against it. She did support my decision but she was not happy. I think she was kind of scared about it. Anyway, when I found out about the band, I did more research and opted for that. Its funny, but she had NO problems with that whatsoever. She was with me on the day of surgery and stayed for 2 weeks to take care of me (she was going to do that regardless - its just funny how her opinion changed). I think she was doing some research on the band without telling me! Lol!

Congrats to DH on his banding. How is he doing? Good luck and congrats to you on your date? I wish the both of you nothing but the best weight loss ever!!!!!!!

I can totally relate to this. My partner of 14 years had the exact same reaction. She was completely against the gastric bypass but very supportive of the lap band. It sounds like you are doing very well

I'm a Bandster!! :biggrin2: Surgery was 3 hours, w/ hernia repair. The first night was in the hospital, and at home I slept nonstop for the next three days. Thanks to the Percocet. The pain feels like puncture wounds. I mean surface pain, nothing real deep. I did have the GAS, enough to clear a room :lol:. I know TMI, but so far I've only had some left shoulder discomfort. The Clear Liquids made me very weak. Lack of sugar, according to the surgeon. Once I had my first Protein Shake on day 7, I started feeling better.

When did you all start mushies? According to my doctor, he wants me on Protein Shakes until my first fill, June 30th. I know I need to heal, but 5 weeks? Doesn't that seem excessive? If I count the two weeks prior to surgery, that's 7 weeks of liquids! I'm already dreaming of scrambled eggs and runny oatmeal!! :wink2:

I'm a Bandster!! :biggrin2: Surgery was 3 hours, w/ hernia repair. The first night was in the hospital, and at home I slept nonstop for the next three days. Thanks to the Percocet. The pain feels like puncture wounds. I mean surface pain, nothing real deep. I did have the GAS, enough to clear a room :thumbup:. I know TMI, but so far I've only had some left shoulder discomfort. The Clear Liquids made me very weak. Lack of sugar, according to the surgeon. Once I had my first Protein Shake on day 7, I started feeling better.

When did you all start mushies? According to my doctor, he wants me on Protein Shakes until my first fill, June 30th. I know I need to heal, but 5 weeks? Doesn't that seem excessive? If I count the two weeks prior to surgery, that's 7 weeks of liquids! I'm already dreaming of scrambled eggs and runny oatmeal!! :thumbup:

Wow, 7 weeks of liquids? ? I feel your pain! Poor thing! the Protein shakes until your 1st fill does seem excessive. I mean, how are they going to know how much to fill you if you can't tell them accuratley how to gauge your hunger? I was banded on 5/29 and they told me 1 week of clear, 1 week of full liquids then 3rd week is soft foods then 4th week, which is when my fill will be, i'm up to whatever I want (well, the new guidelines anyway...no hamburger Buns for me *sigh* hehe)

Good Luck!!!:tongue2:

Congrats Seattle! Wow is right. That is long. mine was nearly that of CM. 1 wk clear, 1wk full liquid, next 2 (3&4) soft/mushy stage. wk. 5 was mushy plus adding in something new each day ( egg, then fish, then ground turkey till wk. 6, our "new" regular diet!!!! But then , mine didn't have me on liquids before at all. sounds like a VERY carefull Dr. there is a whole thread on "mushies stage receipes" on here that has a lot of other usefull info also. check it out:thumbup:

:thumbs_up: Okay, I tell the doc I'm getting my hunger back.. he said I could have 6 Protein Shakes a day, or more if needed. :frown: So, I'm still on the clear liquid diet + Protein shakes. Uugghh!! One bright sign, I suppose, is the nutritionist said I could probably start mushies on week 4, if I called the doctor and ask. We'll see if I can take it that long! Right now I'm having a shake every 3 hours. Any suggestions where I can get more protein on a clear liquid diet? Once I started on the shakes, I gave up chicken broth. I'm sure you all can remember how delicious that was! :party: Who knew that stuff went right through ya! :blush:

Thanks for the well wishes!

Tina

:rolleyes2: Okay, I tell the doc I'm getting my hunger back.. he said I could have 6 Protein Shakes a day, or more if needed. :) So, I'm still on the clear liquid diet + Protein shakes. Uugghh!! One bright sign, I suppose, is the nutritionist said I could probably start mushies on week 4, if I called the doctor and ask. We'll see if I can take it that long! Right now I'm having a shake every 3 hours. Any suggestions where I can get more protein on a clear liquid diet? Once I started on the shakes, I gave up chicken broth. I'm sure you all can remember how delicious that was! :biggrin: Who knew that stuff went right through ya! :Banane17:

Thanks for the well wishes!

Tina

Hi Tina, I hear you, you can get unflavored Unjury Protein Powder and add to any cold or warm liquids, doesn't work so well in hot. I can look up the web site if you need it. got to go now. will add later. good luck with that , at least you should have a big start with the wt. loss!

www.unjury.com :tongue2:Tina, I thought this co. made the best shake mix. esp the choc. I wasn't wild about the chicken broth one, I thought it was a bit weird, better to use a broth you like and add the unflavored. this site also has recipes and other suggestions.

IF you find you are not going to make the 4 wk no matter what, be sure to go with very well blended and thinned "mushy". I got a cooked chicken from BJ's, I find them esp. tender, put it in the chopper with added broth till it was very smooth, like jar baby food, a little fat free gravy, and soupy inst. mashed potatoes, thought I was in heaven ! For me, this was not cheating as my Dr. allowed this in 2 wks. Now, I am in no means suggesting you "cheat" but IF you do, do it wisely and slowwwwly. Also, we had a week of full liquids before mushy. that being creamy Soups, Tomato, etc. all were put in the blender to be sure all lumps were out. I made a fish chowder just for something different and put that in the chopper, was great! had that on the full liquid stage and it was gd on the Protein. good luck.

I wish these Drs. would get it together and come up with a uniform protocall.

better yet, back track to the main forum surgery topics and find food and nutrition, from there, the one on cooking and recipes has ideas for all the stages...check it out! :rolleyes2:

Hey Cheri - Thanks for the website :rolleyes2:. I see a lot of people talking about Unjury so it must be good. Currently I'm on, "Champion Nutrition - Pure whey Protein Stack," chocolate or Cookies and Cream. With a rounded scoop they have about 30g of Protein. I'm hungry about every 2-3 hours. So, if I have 4 to 6 shakes a day.. that's 120 to 180 grams of Protein! Is that too much? I'm drinking 64oz of Crystal Light/Water, Jello, popsicles and V8 but they don't seem to curb my appetite. The headaches are a killer. I don't like to be hungry! My sweety doesn't like it either :biggrin:! I guess I've made it this far, what's another week and half!! :)

thanks, julie and az... have been visiting this site often in the last few days and it's helped a lot. hope you all are having a good start to the summer.

Hey hungry4help -how's it going? I had my first fill last week and I feel no restriction so I'm here just looking for info...I love this place. Take care and hope all is well...

:wink2:Tina, YOU GO GIRL!!! I'm so impressed with your attitude! that we could all be so determined, I'm sure you will get there. I don't know if you can get too much, don't think so but never thought of it! why not have one with less mix? or have slimfast or someother kind of shake or fruit smoothie? I'm sure there are other options at this point. you should be on full liquids, which is far more interesting. I think the Unjury is 20 grams/serving.

I just realized I have a NSV! I just made the 100 lb. total loss!:) from my high of course, not since the band. But it all counts for me. My honey was just marveling at the changes in my body as we first met 80 lbs. ago! I still can't figure how I snagged her at that wt. 14 years ago.:)

Because she fell in love with YOU. Not your fat or lack of fat...

We all know fatties are fantastic people too.

But I know what you mean, my GF is so encouraging and supportive with all the changes. I too tease that I'm going to start wearing her clothes...we are the same size now, but way differently shaped!!!

Fun stuff.

Thanks Juli, I know we are but it's rare the "little ones" take a chance to find out. I don't think I will ever wear her clothes, size 6 is still probably not in my future! she was a 4 when we met, thinks she's fat now that the 6's are getting tight :P . she's definately special.