Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 3 weeks ago -- 23 pounds down, 117 pounds to go!

I became an official lap band member on September 5. I'm down 23 pounds over the last 5 weeks. While excited about the weight loss, mentally I can't help but challenge myself & ask if I should have lost more?

While speaking with my doctor yesterday (received my first fill!), he was pleased with my progress. So much of this journey is emotional! Is there anyone else who feels this way?

I can't wait to be there, and start shedding the weight. Good luck to u!

I wanted a faster loss in the beginning. I expect 2 to 3 lbs loss per week. Then my doc convinced me that 1 lbs a week would be healthier. After the first few months of 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a month, I settled in to 1 lbs a week and did the rest of my journey like this. Once the weight was gone, it was gone. I'm now at goal. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. Like taking a trip, enjoy the stops in between. This will give body time to adjust with your losses.

Congrats.... I was banded on Sept 3rd... this is a journey of a lifetime....

Just follow directions and it will suddenly start coming off. Don't worry. Most of us lose, then slightly gain post op, then slowly lose for a few weeks. Keep up your food plan and exercise regimen and you will start to see amazing results. Look at my ticker. I lost 50 pounds before my first fill. It wasn't easy without restriction but it helped me build the hard, hard discipline the band requires. Now that I have had four fills, I think I'm in the green. It's so much easier. But if I didn't follow the rules and stay on course in the early months, I don't believe I'd be 95 pounds down at six months. Good luck!

Thank you for all the words of encouragement! I'm taking it one day & one pound at a time, but it's not easy. I know this is a mental, physical & emotional journey so I'm doing my part to stay healthy in all areas.

I'm so encouraged (and motivated) by your weight loss successes! I'm terrified of getting on that scale & not seeing it move down. So glad I found this forum -- there's really good advise & support on here!!

JustWatchMe!! 95 pounds in six months is incredible & exactly what I'm driving towards. Congratulations! If you have any "real food" advice, please share. I transition back to "solid food" on October 4 & am having anxiety about weight gain after sticking to liquid & puréed all of this time. Thank you!

I wish I had not relied on fast food so much. I've been better this past month in stocking up and actually eating my own food on work lunch breaks instead of trying to find healthy choices at the local fast food places. Here's what I did recently that is helping me. Stock up the fridge with small portion things that are EASY to eat on the go. cheese sticks. Veggies like baby carrots and celery. Green Beans. Keep in mind some Banders can't tolerate those but I can. Hummus is my favorite thing lately. Lots of flavors. I stock my work desk with Quest coconut cashew bars. I eat raw almonds and raw pecans. Count the nuts out. 24 almonds is one serving and it's 240 calories. But there are days when that is most of my lunch if I can't get out of the office. I still use the U njury Protein drink some mornings for a fast and healthy Breakfast. I also bought U njury packets in single serving packets for my desk at work and I have put them in a Water bottle half filled and shaken them up for an emergency lunch.

My basic advice is try to stay with whole foods that are not fried or fast food. It isn't easy to go to fast food places and stay with the grilled choices all the time. Best to stay away until food habits are established. You'll do this!!! When you start seeing your body change and your health improve you will get so fired up it will become much easier. The day I was able to take the stairs without huffing and puffing was a beautiful day. And it was only about thirty pounds down.

Just stay focused on a healthier life style the weight loss is just a terrific benefit.

Edited by jfc193

Thank you, JWM! I've prepared my grocery list, ordered my Chike & Quest, and collecting high Protein, low fat/sodium recipes. I didn't go through all of this to not come out well on the other end. I have a hard time with Breakfast and lunch both pre & post lap band. I'm just not a breakfast person & I'm usually too busy to have lunch. I'm changing that as best I can. Great advice on what I can take to work with me -- if I have them in my drawer, there's no excuse to not eat what I need to fuel my body. Thanks so much!!

Hi there, congratulations on everything -- you're doing beautifully. It's so hard not to get caught up in the instant results game. Enjoy each day and the healthy new you! The scale is one thing but what we call "non-scale victories" or NSVs -- wow, those are the things to watch for. Take your measurements, notice how your jeans are fitting, watch for ways you feel more confident and happier. I cannot really tally the points for JOY in my life now, and the relief at not thinking about food all the time. That's a huge NSV for me. The scale will move and you'll be astounded over time, but it may take a little while to get going or you may have some weeks with a loss then one or two with nothing.

Congrats! Please keep us updated. Hows the nausea and everything? Im hoping mine will be a smooth op n fast weight dropping! Just need to lose 20kg is more than enough for me. Im motivated by everyones sucess stories ..hoping mine will b the same.. post some before and after photos aswell :)

Thank you, Bandista! Doing my best to stay focused on how I'm feeling & the results (loose clothing, more energy, etc.). I'm even beginning to receive comments/compliments, which has been a motivator as well! I kept my decision to get banded quiet & only shared with my immediate family and three best friends. I don't want or need people watching me -- I just want to enjoy my journey & stay focused. The people who know are loving, honest & supportive -- that's important for me right now.

Edited by ChelleChi1969

Hi Tiffany! I'm very lucky -- no nausea, whatsoever. Not post-op & not now. Received my first fill yesterday & I noticed a difference immediately. It's more the sensation of being full -- without the tightness & nausea that I've read so much about. I'm adjusting to the fact that I'm not eating like before so I can't expect that crazy feeling of being "stuffed" (which was alllll too familiar to me)!! I'm hopeful I'll stay on this track. Best of luck to you & please keep in touch!