Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has everyone out there lost hair post op?

So I have seen a few threads on here about Hair loss. I was just wondering has everyone lost hair? I ask because I know people post when they have issues and was just wondering if everyone's experience is? I am freaked out about losing hair. I had cancer and was freaked out about having to have chemo and losing my hair. I ended up not having to have chemo thank God for that. But now I am so scared I am going to lose all my hair.

My hair thinned out, around the 3rd month post-op. But, it all went back to normal by my 1 year surgerversy. I've read a lot of threads that say the key is to eat plenty of Protein - hair is built on protein. And the post-op diet's primary requirement is eat protein. I stuck with my doctor's guidelines and my hair is just as full as it was pre-op.

A long-time nurse told me that major surgery of any kind may cause hair loss. The trauma plus the Protein issues would probably intensify the effects. She said Protein protein protein, vtamins, and get plenty of rest and stay hydrated. Like we all haven't heard that a million times. LOL

I'm in the middle of the hair loss phase at 5 months post op! I was told it should stop by 6 months, so hopefully only 1 month to go! Mine hasn't been too bad, but I've noticed it, especially when I wash my hair (I have strands of it in my hands and in my comb) and it looks a little lifeless. :( To keep the loss to a minimum, here's what I have been doing: I only wash my hair every other day, I comb and style it gently, and I started using the WEN cleansing system rather than commercial Shampoo and conditioner. My hair is looking fuller and it seems shinier and less dry (I had been noticing it looked dry and faded these last few months).

I do have to say, the Hair loss is such a minor side effect compared to how I look and feel! Good luck to you!

I'm just past the 12-week point and so far, no Hair loss. We'll see!

i have alot of hair and loose alot of hair anyway, I was told that is one of the reasons they tell you to eat your protien first and to get at least 60grams of Protein a day. I was also told that liquid Biotin (3000mcg) in a bottle of Water a day will help from loosing hair.

i am 13 wks out and just starting to notice more strands than normal coming out, but nothing scary yet.

i use Nioxin every day and doing the Biotin thing too.

if it really starts going i plan to cut is very short, like pixie short and maybe i'll grow it back, maybe not!

I have thin fine curly hair. Have I lost hair? Sure, I lose hair every day. Have I lost an abnormal amount since my surgery in May? No, I have not. If you are going to lose hair you are going to lose hair. If don't, you don't. There is no way to predict if you are going to lose it or not. Your personal genetic make up and your body's reaction to anesthesia and loss of Protein is key. But if you do lose hair, you are by no means going to lose all your hair. Ultimately you need to weigh whether or not the benefits of the surgery outweigh the risks for you. And if the Hair loss freaks you out that much you might need to consider other options.

Edited by Forsythia

I, too, have fine curly hair. At over 9 months out I have not had any excess Hair loss. My recovery went smooth, I never stressed over surgery or the post op diet or stalls. I always got in all my Protein and regular Vitamins. Did not use any special hair supplements or products. I think it's like Forsythia said, if it's gonna happen, it happens, if not, then great. For me, It just wasn't worth worrying about because it was something out if my control. And temporary even if it did.

hair loss......some it isn't so scary for, but for others with really fine hair, terrified doesn't even begin to describe it. My hair is really, really fine & thin now due to a medication reaction. I lost about half of the thickness of my hair almost a year ago. Just an example of how this it is: You know how big around a pencil is? When I pull my hair into a ponytail, that is how tiny my ponytail is. It also grows incredibly slooooow. I'm just now starting to see some regrowth all over. I had to cut my hair to my chin. It used to be to my bra line. It is really is hard to take. Now, I know in about 3 months or so, it will more than likely happen again. If it does, my PCP referred me to a place that helps women with Hair loss from cancer and other medical reasons for hair loss. They have hairdressers that work with a wig company that donates their wigs and time to help for extreme cases. I'm hoping that I don't lose a ton. But, at this point it wouldn't surprise me.

I read on a thread here that MSM and Biotin help with Hair loss. I got sleeved about 4 weeks ago. I started taking both last week, so I cannot say if it works.

I am 8 months post-op and I am shedding more than my cat! Does it ever stop?