Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet...... Destroyed!

Man, you are lucky! I have to do two whole weeks of only liquids pre-op.

Good luck.

day 4 on 14 day liquid diet.omg I cant stop the coffee!i already had 2 cups with fat free half n half.i need to stop the afternoon cup starting today.this rough because im doing good with Protein Shakes and plain yogurt but so hard to stop the coffee.i find myself dreaming of it!of course im thinking of food but its the coffee more.

@@robga999 There's a coffee alternative that I absolutely LOVE. it's called Teeccino. Check with your doctor for the ok and the website. It taste just like coffee and they have a variety of flavors, I believe it's made with nuts!

Edited by waitingtoexhale

thank you waitingtoexhale!im going to try it.i really am addicted to coffee.< /p>

I can't imagine cooking while I was on my pre-op diet!! My husband was on his own and I let him know that right from the start. I stocked the house with foods he likes and ones I knew he would actually fix for himself. You will only set yourself up for failure if you are handling foods you are not permitted to eat. When my husband was eating his dinner, I disappeared. I'd go into my art studio or lay on my bed watching the news. I'd show back up after dinner. If I had little kids, I'd ask for help from my family to see to it they were fed. Its only 2 weeks and I'm sure everyone knows a friend or family member that loves them enough to help them succeed.

Just don't drink KOPILUWAK <-- :P

Hello there DESTROYED! It;s going to be OK.... take a deep breath, relax.. now try to focus and remember why you started down this path in the fist place. I am in your shoes so I understand. I am pre-op too and haven't even been given a surgery date because they thought I was too depressed to have surgery... I on the other hand didn't think I was as depressed as they said. ANYWAY... back to you. I think what you are experiencing is normal we are such creatures of habit and WE OBVIOUSLY LOVED FOOD! It is hard to think we are going to have to give up stuff we love, but I am trying to tell myself by giving myself this pep talk.... Hey look, you need to do this, you need to get this weight off, It's only food, and the food will be there when I am on my path to my new healthier life, you will be able to eat some of the thing you love, just less of them Lol. I didn't think I could do it either but to tell you a short story, back in 2010, I made up my mind to get the weight loss surgery after I met someone that lost 90 lbs in 3 months (by the bypass) at that time my insurance required 6 months on a diet seeing a Dr. I made it through up to a few weeks of my 6th month and final dr visit before they would approve me. I starting this weight loss adventure thinking well if I have surgery I am going to have to be able to do the 2 wks of liquids so needless to say over this 6 month struggle I rotated every 2 weeks on eating a liquid diet, and then I would eat regular foods but just less. I lost 80 lbs within that 6 months times on my own LOL!!!! BUT here is the bad part of my story... I was so close to surgery, then I was diagnosed with CML (Chronic Myloid Leukemia) and was not allowed to have ANY SURGERIES!!! until I was in remission. The big side effect of the chemo pill I take is (drum roll) rapid weight gain and adema! so I have gained it all back, the first 10 lbs within 3 day of treatment. It is only within the last year and a half that I am able to have surgery, and I restarted my bariatric journey last Nov but the clinic held me back because of depression) and PTL I am in remission and waiting for approval. My point is that I kept trying ... you see nothing is perfect, you are going to reach road blocks, but just keep your car somewhere between the white lines on the road, and moving in the direction of your goals!!! YOU CAN DO THIS! Please don't give up...the pinto Beans will be waiting for you and for me in our new lives. Stay strong :)

Dear waitingtoexhale, I really understand how you feel. I have wondered myself if I am going to be able to handle the two liquid diet that I am suppose to do, my surgery is not going to be until later in Dec, and with the holidays and family birthdays during this time frame I am also scared that I am not going to be on track. I hope that I am as strong as you and post my feeling here too if I need comfort. Please don' t take what people are saying a crule, I think they are just wanting people like us who need help to know what the facts are. I hope to hear more from you once the you are in post op. I would like to know how things go, so I know what to look forward too. Sincerely, Tlemieux.

@@Theresa Alvarado, your story was heartwarming! You had a major setback and you're still a fighter, don't let depression deter you from your ultimate goal and what you're working so hard for!! I wish you approval and much success in your journey! As you might've figured out, I DID IT!!???? it was difficult with every thought however, I pressed my way! This post op side is no walk on the beach though and my hospital stay was 4 days! I can tell you that it gets better. I'm super sore at the stomach removal incision and the gas pains are far beyond labor????

Edited by waitingtoexhale

Dear waitingtoexhale, I really understand how you feel. I have wondered myself if I am going to be able to handle the two liquid diet that I am suppose to do, my surgery is not going to be until later in Dec, and with the holidays and family birthdays during this time frame I am also scared that I am not going to be on track. I hope that I am as strong as you and post my feeling here too if I need comfort. Please don' t take what people are saying a crule, I think they are just wanting people like us who need help to know what the facts are. I hope to hear more from you once the you are in post op. I would like to know how things go, so I know what to look forward too. Sincerely, Tlemieux.

@@tlemieux220 thanks for your encouragement! I am now 6 days post op and here to encourage the pre ops!! If I can do it, YOU can do it!! The struggle is real and you will have some good and bad days! I really had to focus and rethink. I stayed in the hospital 4days because of uncontrollable hypertension and nausea, I couldn't keep anything down and the incision pain was almost unbearable for me. Everyone has a different WLS journey and I'm not here to sugarcoat mine. However, I can honestly say that it does get better everyday. Now, I'm suffering the gas pains that I feel is worse than labor.... This too shall pass. I wish you much success on your journey, keep your eyes on the healthy benefits prize????

Prior to sleeve surgery and my pre-op diet I had one too many food funerals! I was one of the people who woke up and was told that they couldn't do the surgery!

It took over a year to even think about trying again, and this time as a precaution, I did 3 weeks on my pre-op diet, and was in the doctors office each week for weigh ins.

I went to a different surgeon the second time, and the difference is night and day.

1st surgeon: 1 week pre-op diet with 2-3 Protein shakes and a lean cuisine for dinner

2nd surgeon: 3 weeks pre-op diet with whatever I wanted to eat as long as my total carbs were 40 or below everyday.

The lean cuisines I was eating before were pretty high in carbs. With the second one, I was able to pick and choose what I wanted and modify it.

I don't want to cause anyone alarm, but the docs really want us on these preop diets for a reason.

It makes it hard doesn't it, when pre op and post op diets are literally all over the board!!

Edited by auntjanny

my doctor is a genius. he made me do only sugar free Clear liquids for 2 weeks before surgery. there were days that i was so mad at him. i thought there is no way i can do this. everyone at work was so supportive as were my patients. they all watched me like a hawk, Day 2 felt horrible that night had severe body aches, then got better. I was rocking along until day 10. worse day of this whole thing. One of my patients brought in a hamburger from jack in the box. my mind went crazy there was no controlling it. At lunch i went to jack in box and i was going to order a hamburger i did not care. i was crying and a big mess by the time i reached the drive thru. while sitting there saw they had a new Breakfast burrito i ordered that combo. i was crying like a baby when i gave the lady my money :) i went to park praying all the time for God to help me. I took small piece of hash brown, yuck! i threw that away and broke open burrito with my fingers. I ate 3 pinches of eggs and cheese. I then came to my senses and hurried and threw it all away. my craving went away after that and i was able to concentrate. just those few bites filled me up for the rest of the day but i still felt bad about cheating. Iam sure everyone does. but now i don't want to eat anything like that. I also got away from diet pepsi and any kind of soda. Also quit my ambien at night because i found a tube of crackers on the counter one morning! had no memory that i ate them. So in two weeks i came off of food, sugar,caffeine,soda and ambien. Dr said my liver was awesome and made it much easier for him to see in there. we can do this. it is just a drastic change of life, one of my friends that i have had for 10 years won't even talk to me now. maybe she feels threatened now. who knows but i am moving ahead. i now know after 2 weeks clear liquid that i do have control over what i eat . this is the first time i have ever felt this!!!!

@@tlemieux220 thanks for your encouragement! I am now 6 days post op and here to encourage the pre ops!! If I can do it, YOU can do it!! The struggle is real and you will have some good and bad days! I really had to focus and rethink. I stayed in the hospital 4days because of uncontrollable hypertension and nausea, I couldn't keep anything down and the incision pain was almost unbearable for me. Everyone has a different WLS journey and I'm not here to sugarcoat mine. However, I can honestly say that it does get better everyday. Now, I'm suffering the gas pains that I feel is worse than labor.... This too shall pass. I wish you much success on your journey, keep your eyes on the healthy benefits prize

Awesome!

I just started my 3 month medically supervised diet, and I'm doing well!