Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet...... Destroyed!

I feel like I have no self control! I can't do this pre-op by the paper to save my life! The real sad part is, it doesn't require ALL liquid :(. I'm able to eat 2 "smart" meals (smart ones, healthy choice ect) a day, 1 Greek yogurt, unlimited unsweetened liquids including popsicles, a piece of fruit and 2 Protein shakes! Instead I've eaten what I've cooked for the last 2 days baked turkey wings w/gravy and pinto Beans (it is protein) I also had 2 jerk chicken tacos!! My surgery is Friday! I only have today to get it right because Thursday is the ALL Clear Liquids day! :(

Don't let the diet make you feel discouraged. Try monitoring the amount of your intake as well. My nutritionist pointed out the importance of quantity after the procedure to prevent complications. This may help you before the procedure as well. Also keeping busy, don't think so much on diet concept. I'm on a 2 week liquid diet. My surgery is September 30. Mentally I struggled the first few days. I eventually found "something" (4 oz of bland mashed potatoes) that holds me over. My one meal a day.

I feel like I have no self control! I can't do this pre-op by the paper to save my life! The real sad part is, it doesn't require ALL liquid :(. I'm able to eat 2 "smart" meals (smart ones, healthy choice ect) a day, 1 Greek yogurt, unlimited unsweetened liquids including popsicles, a piece of fruit and 2 Protein shakes! Instead I've eaten what I've cooked for the last 2 days baked turkey wings w/gravy and pinto Beans (it is protein) I also had 2 jerk chicken tacos!! My surgery is Friday! I only have today to get it right because Thursday is the ALL CLEAR liquids day! :(

@@waitingtoexhale,

I hate to be the one to say what I'm pretty sure you're already thinking (and if you're not, maybe you should). Are you ready for the surgery? I haven't had it yet myself, and to be honest I haven't done a lot of dieting or healthy eating for that matter in the last few months of planning for the surgery. But I'm 8 weeks away from it now and I just received my insurance approval a few days ago. It's like it's finally real for me now that I've been approved. I know it's time to get serious because the complications from not following the directions are endless. If you can't handle a few days of strict requirements, how are you going to handle an entire lifetime of changes? Sorry, I'm really not trying to lecture (especially since I'm pre-op myself), I just think sometimes we need a little kick in the butt to make us see the whole picture. The amount of food they recommend for you now is more than you'll have in a day post-op. Can you handle that? And the point of the surgery is to take control of yourself and your life and not let food control you anymore. Can you take that control or will you continue to be controlled by the food surrounding you? I hope everything works out for you and I wish you the best of luck if you have the surgery.

feel like I have no self control! I can't do this

@@waitingtoexhale

i'm not gonna tell you "there, there, you'll be fine"

"No Self Control!! :angry: "

SNAP OUT OF IT <_<

sounds like you were given an easier pre-op than many

i can only imagine your disappointment in yourself since you messed up :wacko:

you might even be uncontiously sabatoging yourself in fear of the WLS (no shrink here, just a thought)

unfortunately many people DO screw up their preop :angry:

but that doesn't give you a free pass to mess up too :blink:

not best analogy but...........

kindof like "Joe" robbed a store!!!!

So its ok for you to do so :angry:

no way - you and "Joe" are both wrong

you each got a suspended sentence, and you each turned out to do great in life :)

(hope that came off right??)

many people 2nd guess there initial thoughts of WLS

that is ok

your serious thoughts/doubts might bring you to the realization what a serious step you are taking (no shrink here, just a thought)

if everyone who had 2nd thoughts or extreme concerns pre WLS didn't go through surgery - we wouldn't have much of a forum here :(

get your head/mind together :)

you made the wise decision to have surgery

don't over second guess yourself now!!!!

you want and need this surgery

you have a great opportunity coming your way on Friday - don't blow it :angry: ;)

remind yourself why you want to lose weight, have the WLS

be prepared you MUST follow all the rules associated with your surgery for the rest of your life

maybe telling your fears/spilling your guts might "shake you to your senses" :mellow:

hope it did help

cuz you did say a "mouthful" :D

hype yourself these next couple of days

keep telling yourself you can do this!!!

prepare yourself with your shakes

be sure you are all ready when you come home to start your new wonderful life

hope i don't sound like a "meany" - cuz i really am a great person :D

best of luck on friday

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Get it together. The better you do pre-op, the better you'll do post op. As well if your liver has not shrank enough, your surgeon can't perform the surgery. He will close you right back up and send you home to start all over. I'm not trying to scare you, but it IS a reality. There is a pre-op diet for a reason. It's very important that you hop aboard this train and do the hell out of this thing!

Start again today and don't stop!

@@beachgurl84 I am very aware of the pre-op and have been successful up until these last TWO days as I stated in my post. The purpose of the actual surgery as a tool is to help control your appetite and how much you can eat. I guess is the nervousness and jitters of the actual surgery that I'm going through, and you too will have your day at this and I'm sure it will be just as difficult as it is for everyone else. I will be having my surgery on this Friday as scheduled. Good luck with your own pre-op diet right down to the last days :)

Edited by waitingtoexhale

Umm, wow wow. Let's see. This whole weight lose thingy is certainly a mental thing. You definitely had an easier pre-op than must I have seen, including mine. But, what's done is done. Make sure today on out you keep on track. I mean, you can do this for three days for sure. Keep yourself busy and drink lots and lots of Water. If you feel the need to eat more, reach for more veggies. If you feel the need to indulge in something not permitted, walk away. Have your hubby serve up the food and leave. You gotta have some kind of control now because afterwards it will be very very hard for you. I mean, its not easy in the first 2-4 weeks post-op anyway. As someone mentioned above, that liver needs to shrink. The above posters have given you good advice and I hope you take it. To better days!

It sounds, based on your last post, that you just made a post to have people pat you on the back and tell you it would be ok. The surgery may (or may not, it's different for everyone) control your physical hunger, but it does absolutely nothing for your head hunger. You are still going to face the challenge of saying no to yourself when presented with something you shouldn't eat. I agree that the pre-op diet is tough, but you have it so much easier than many do. I couldn't have any food. I think you should at least let your surgeon know, it would be better than him/her not knowing before doing surgery on you.

Edited by Sleevarilla

@beechgurl84 I am very aware of the pre-op and have been successful up until these last TWO days as I stated in my post. The purpose of the actual surgery as a tool is to help control your appetite and how much you can eat. I guess is the nervousness and jitters of the actual surgery that I'm going through, and you too will have your day at this and I'm sure it will be just as difficult as it is for everyone else. I will be having my surgery on this Friday as scheduled. Good luck with your own pre-op diet right down to the last days :)

@@waitingtoexhale,

I apologize if I read your post incorrectly. I took "I've eaten what I've cooked for the last 2 days baked turkey wings w/gravy and pinto Beans (it is protein) I also had 2 jerk chicken tacos!!" to mean you had been eating turkey wings, Beans, and tacos for two days. If you have been sticking to the diet and had a slight relapse, then that's normal. Everyone is going to do that. I personally had to give up smoking to even get my surgery scheduled. Talk about self control. It's has been one heck of a ride over the last few months getting through that. But I am victorious and nicotine free (my surgeon is requiring nicotine test). So after kicking that, i know I can kick my bad food habits too.

Nobody expects us to be perfect. Like I told my surgeon, if I had a will made of stone, I wouldn't be sitting in his office. I just wanted you to be prepared to fight that same fight post op. Yes your stomach will be smaller and help you gain control. That's the point. YOU TAKE CONTROL and you have a TOOL to help you do so. The surgery doesn't control your appetite. That's a mental battle that you have to be prepared for. But you can fight your appetite a little easier on a stomach that gets fuller quicker. You are the only one accountable for how successful you will be with this surgery. YOU KNOW ALL THIS!!! Just like you should know we're not going to hold your hand and tell you everything will be ok. You have a fight ahead of you, we all do. Our success will depend on how we handle our own battles.

@@Sleevarilla I didn't post for a pat on the back, there's no need for that in wrong doing, I posted my feelings because this is the place where you can get help and answers or suggestions. I'm having WLS because I have a problem and I need a tool to help me. It is my hope that that's why WLS and BP exist and we're all at this point. Some of you all can be so mean instead of HELPful and understanding :(

As others have said...just pick yourself up and start again. You will have to do it post-op as well. If we were all able to do this on our own, we wouldn't be on a WLS forum. That said, only YOU can do it. No pats on the back from here, just a get up and do what you need to do. IF it helps motivate you (or at least helps you minimize some of the self-bashing), my doctor's office only required a 3 day liquid pre-op diet. So get back on the wagon and good luck!

I was mugged at work and injured my knees in the process, I'm 4'11 and since then, I've had injections in my knee and going through physical therapy. My job requires mostly physical activity but because of this, I am unable to complete my job requirements and now receiving workers compensation which is only 75% of my normal salary. I've gained 56 pounds in a matter of months. Before this, I was an active OVERWEIGHT person who had some control. This is discouraging for me in all aspects. I don't mean to come off as mean but I just wanted to know if I could get some suggestions because I know that I'm not the only one that had/have mishaps with this pre-op thing. I am also aware that my pre-op is a little lieniate than others and I'm sure it may be according to weight and other medical reasons. I have physical limitations as well as hypertension. Thanks for posting encouragement. I'm dealing with a lot (pay cut, unable to walk, exercise, work at my place of employment seeing my friends daily, having extra cash for my children, keeping my bills up to par, struggling with access weight ect....) as many of you are too and food is my comfort..... I use to be able to walk it off:(

Edited by waitingtoexhale

I sympathize with you in your current situation. I still get hungry and still have cravings. The sleeve is just for Portion Control for me. So in a sense, you can still go to food for comfort after the surgery. I hope that this will not happen. You read the stories where people lost all their weight only to regain. It is all mental and only you can fix that. My post op I cheated, no doubt. Its hard when you are the only one trying to eat right in the house. Just stay motivated and do what you have to do before this surgery. Only a few days left and these are important. We are just sharing the love. Take care.

I am starting week 2 of clear liquids sugar free. I think every morning " i can not do this" then at night i say " made it one more day" it is freakin tough and awful. Just get back on it and u will b fine