Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What type of yogurt do you use?

I have reached the phase where I can eat yogurt. I have NEVER seen so many kinds and brands of yogurt. I know everyone's taste is different, but what are the ones that are acceptable to eat at 2-3 weeks post-surgery?

My surgeon recommended the danon Greek light and fit. They have 12 gm of Protein and are awesome! My favorites are the cherry chocolate and strawberry cheesecake

Interesting that you ask.

I did a taste test last weekend with 6 brands. I started with vanilla because I needed a level playing field between all the brands. They were all sugar free. Here is what I found out.

1. The sugar free still has sugar 6, 7, 8, 9 grams.

My understanding is you are supposed to be under 5grams. No such thing unless you go with plain yogurt, yuck!

2. Yoplait Greek 100 (again I only tested the sugar free vanilla) was by far the best tasting

3. Chobani Greek has only 6 grams (maybe close enough) but the flavor will take a bit to get used to. Maybe another flavor would taste better

4. Siggis was all natural but had 7 grams of sugar and was a little tangy

5. I did not like the Dannon Greek because it had so much artificial sweetener. It was too "sweet" but I think if frozen it would be such a treat.

I am thinking, maybe I'll have to mix plain yogurt with the sugar free to be under 5 grams. What is everyone eating ? Help!

If you are near kroger stores you can get carbmaster yogurt, it has between 3-4 grams of sugar. i like the white chocolate raspberry flavor.

I use greek yogurt because it has more Protein and better flavor. Yogurt mixed with fruits are generally out because they contain too much sugar. I am 16 months post-op so I make my own berry smoothie and use it as one of my Protein supplements. It taste so good that my grandkids look forward to coming to our house so they can get some.

I love The Greek Gods yogurt. It is very creamy and it's like eating ice cream (without the sugar). My store just quit carrying the plain flavor though, and I'm very sad about this. Does anyone know if honey is ok to have? Because they have a honey flavored one that I used to eat before surgery, and it is out-of-this-world good! I currently am eating Chobani pumpkin spice. I've used it in pumpkin Protein smoothies, and it is good. I don't care for any other Chobani flavors though.

Fage Greek Yogurt, 0% fat in all flavors. It is slightly more expensive than others but in my opinion tastes better

I use greek yogurt because it has more Protein and better flavor. Yogurt mixed with fruits are generally out because they contain too much sugar. I am 16 months post-op so I make my own berry smoothie and use it as one of my Protein supplements. It taste so good that my grandkids look forward to coming to our house so they can get some.

Can I have your recipe for that smoothie?

Wow, just realized I have some plain Dannon yogurt in the refrigerator. It has 11 grams of sugar. NO WAY, even more then the artificial sweetened yogurt.

I may have to check other supermarkets. Wish I had a Krogers. I may have to check Trader Joes and Whole Foods. This is a quest!

I agree that the Yoplait 100 calorie Greek is the best tasting. Doesn't have that horrible tangy goat cheesy taste that some others have. I know every doctor is a little different and mine suggested keeping sugars under 10g each per serving. All of the yoplait 100 calorie Greek yogurts fit that and they are high in Protein too.

Hey, with 10 grams I have tons of options. Maybe I had it wrong with the 5 grams.

I agree isn't the Yoplait amazing. I love the texture and everything about it. I just found my new favorite dessert. I knew I would find it! LOL

I included my recipe for the berry smoothie in a short article I wrote. Here is a link to the article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf But because the smoothie has several calories, you would want to wait until you have transitioned from the weight loss stage to the maintenance stage before you use it.

I included my recipe for the berry smoothie in a short article I wrote. Here is a link to the article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf But because the smoothie has several calories, you would want to wait until you have transitioned from the weight loss stage to the maintenance stage before you use it.

Fage is the thickest! So good! I use plain and put in my own fruit or I will mix a Dannon lite Greek flavored with Fage plain and gets lots of yummy yogurt for less sweetness. Now I can eat a lot more at 18 months out but earlier people can mix it and eat some and save more for later!!! Yum. I think I will ave some more soon. My favorite is to mix the Fage with fresh blackberries and strawberries. I use 0% fat Fage but sometimes use 2% if not available. I don't worry about fat calories too much. It's the sugar calories that affect my weight and cravings.