Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone having success and enjoying their banded life?

I don't know about anyone else, but if feel there is an over abundant amount of negative post regarding the gastric band, on the board right now. I've been very happy with it over all, but my gosh, all the bad press it's getting, it makes me wonder when "disaster" is going to strike!! Lol!

Hi Kitt,

I'm sorry the negative posts are getting to you...sometimes I just don't want to read them, either. I've been banded since 2008 - and as of right now, I'd do it all over again!

I'm not saying everything is perfect, but I haven't had any serious complications or problems. I have rebounded a bit, weight-wise, but that is MY fault and not the band. When I eat according to the 'bandster rules' and exercise, I am able to lose weight and keep it off. I haven't experienced the level of success I have right now with the band with ANY other method - including Weight Watchers, liquid Protein, fasting, excessive exercise, or any other method.

If it's working for YOU, keep on going - keep on doing what you are doing. I feel for the people who are having problems, but one person's problem may just be another's lifesaver...

Hang in there! :D

Well, let's see...before I was banded, I was morbidly obese and my joints were so bad that I was looking at living the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I was already using a cane and walking was getting more and more difficult. I tried to diet with not much luck yet again and finally hit rock bottom and decided to get banded because my pain management doctor told me I would need knee replacement and was at that time, too overweight to have a good outcome.

I was very very fortunate. I was banded in January 2013 and followed the post op instructions almost to the letter and had no issues. I could not exercise so I made sure to do my best to stay under 1,200 daily calories. I lost enough weight in six months to become eligible for surgery. Everyone thought it would take at least a year for that to happen but it was a good thing I lost quickly because I had found out that I needed both hips replaced even before the knees. This was devastating news to me but I moved forward as I had no choice and had bi-lateral hip replacement surgery in October.

As most of you know, it was a very hard surgery and a long and difficult recovery but I am almost a year out and the quality of my life has improved a thousand fold. I can walk fine now and the cane sits in the corner of my bedroom to remind me of what was. I will not need a wheelchair because my pain is a fraction of what it used to be. I couldn't walk a block without having to stop because of the pain and now I'm planning a trip to China next year with my sister because my sister-in-law is moving to Beijing for a year and The Far East has been on my bucket list for the longest time. I never thought I'd be healthy enough to make this trip but I know now that I can.

The band has saved my life. Without it, I might be dead and that's not being dramatic, it's being truthful. I also have to say that I was not in a good frame of mind when I was banded. I expected to fail in this as I had failed in all other weight loss attempts but it worked for me just as it was supposed to. It didn't stop me from making bad choices or being hungry. It eased my hunger just enough to make good choices and to not overeat.

Also...as I noted, I was morbidly obese. I needed to lose more than 100 lbs. and my primary doctor said I'd not have success with the band because I needed to lose so much weight. I'd never leave my PCP because she is an excellent doctor but I must say that it gives me great satisfaction to say that I am thinner than she is now.

I know that there are many people who do not do well with the band but you asked for success stories and I'm the poster child for success with the band and getting back a quality life again. To say I've been reborn is no exaggeration.

Edited by gowalking

Thanks ladies! I'm so happy to hear these things, and the little shake Diva! I know everyone needs a place to chat, I think four or five of the last few days, some of the email I've had has been terrible situations for folks that are having bands removed or no weight loss, regains... Yes, I need to reset some settings, I'm almost afraid to open my email. I really love hearing from long term banders, it really helps! Thank you.

Gowalking is right on the money ! Um, yeah, what she said ! To say that the band literally gave me my life back is not an understatement ! It will be 3 years this December, and I couldn't be happier ! I was slim all my life until I started gaining around 30 yrs old and it just got worse, even a year on Weight Watchers did nothing except a 12 lb loss . Thats it for a year ? But following the band rules got me down 65 lbs to a happy healthy me ! Go Lap band !!!!

Love, love, love my band! I've lost 116 pounds since my surgery on December 18th, 2013. I was pretty hard core about exercise and calorie intake. This last month I have eased up on calorie counting but am keeping up on exercise. Gonna run my first 5k in October. I have my sights set on the mini marathon my city has every April. The band has given me my life back. I love having energy and looking good clothes. Would do it over and over again!

I'm 5 years post op....down around 130 pounds from where I started. I've not had any band caused problems. I'm very active now, cycling, running, I take NO meds...how could I not be enjoying my banded life?

I am coming upon my 4 year mark....I consider myself being 100% successful and have been for years now....

I don't count calories, don't worry about portion sizes. I eat healthy and get plenty of exercise, just as my skinny fit friends do who never had WLS....I've adapted the same lifestyle...

I have never had one complication....

The things that were once new because of the band, like my inability to eat Breakfast, have become very matter of fact...new habits that developed into a normal way for me...same goes for things like red meat, pizza, etc...people here talk about such things all the time....I don't give it a 2nd thought anymore...same goes for eating out, parties, traveling..you name it, I do it all. But I do it as the new me, with the new way looking at things, all because the band forced me to change.

I have very little fear of ever gaining weight back. I weigh myself twice a day, when I first wake up and later at the gym...and nothing has changed for almost 3 years now....normal fluctuations within the same 5 lbs.

Most days I do not even think about the band...I can go all day and just live a normal day to day life...although it is a "New Normal" that only came into being due to WLS...

It all started with the "Rules" which became "Habits" and then became "Normal" and along the way the rules have changed somewhat, some became very important, some became useless and soon forgotten....but I had to start somewhere....

The band is always there, doing it's job to control hunger, cravings, etc....it's just that I have gotten to used to it and perhaps take it for granted....but step out of line and the band will let me know real quick who is really in charge!

Many of the veterans who were on this forum when I first came, are all long gone...and I used to follow every post they made....but it can be very hard to hang around with the majority of people just starting to learn baby steps, let alone walking and then running....

There are things I could post, but not many people would understand what I am saying and would only confuse people, and they are not ready to hear it....

Many posts, just by reading the titles, I will skip over entirely....else I would get very frustrated not just by the questions, but also by the answers people will give....

Even though I can take it for granted, forget about it at times, reading posts here keeps me focused and mindful that I am still a WLS patient, and no one should forget what it took to get there...

There are countless of people out there who have completed this "Journey" (I don't like that term myself)...it's just that they have moved on....but they are out there....

Edited by B-52

I'm coming up on two years this December... I down over 80 lbs, and feeling a lot better! I still have a long ways to go; but some of that is my own fault for not keeping up with appointments and being late for a few needed fills. I'd do it again, with no reservations. I'm over halfway to where I'd really like to be... but I didn't put this weight on in two years either.

I have had a few complications but after strict diet I am starting a new. I made new game plans and things are going very well. one of the things I have found on this site since all the surgeries got combined is that all surgeries have faults and complications. it actually has made me feel more confident in my decisions concerning the band. since the minor band slip I have lost the 10 lbs I gained from having the band unfilled, had knee surgery and am feeling pretty good and strong. do it again, you bet. love my band

I don't know about anyone else, but if feel there is an over abundant amount of negative post regarding the gastric band, on the board right now. I've been very happy with it over all, but my gosh, all the bad press it's getting, it makes me wonder when "disaster" is going to strike!! Lol!

yes there is a lot of negative (and i try not to read them) because i figure when those people first got the band themselves, they were as excited as i was to get a WLS to help..i told myself if anything ever happened and i lost the band for whatever reason i would not be one who spouted the negative..it gave me mobility back..it gave me the ability to wipe my ass again...it gave me my life back..i am eternally grateful.

all/any WLS can have problems

all/any WLS can have no problems

its life..its time we lived it and kept our thoughts on the prize.....living healthier

I'm approaching my third year banded, no issues or complications, down from 226 to 145, and my band has become a "way of life." I no longer have to wear a CPAP for sleep apnea, I can wear a size 6 comfortably and look great in a t-shirt and jeans, and am much more "alive" and "happy" than for many years pre-op. Being banded has freed up an incredible amount of mind-space that used to be spent on food -- and I am so appreciative of that!

As B-52 said, so many people (when they reach goal, and even before) move on from these boards and so we don't hear a very large number of the success stories out there. I know, personally, I get tired of replying to the "same-song, different-verse" again and again -- but I try to make it a point to post at least once a month, because God knows a lot of comments on here helped me with my 2 year research on WLS -- and still today, help keep me in the WLS community mindset.

And don't forget Alex, our forum founder... He's been banded for a decade! :-)

I'm coming up on a year of happiness with my band -- I am thrilled to rediscover myself. The vitality effects every part of my life. Like others, I try to just skip over negative posts. There are people with axes to grind and people who chose a different WLS surgery who chime in about the band as though they know what they're talking about. I find I can't read comments in other places, like NYT on-line, etc. because I start to get disgusted by humanity, but all in all I'd say we have a pretty good group. There's part of me that wishes we were still LB Talk but this is still such a great place to find support (thank you all by the way). Now if I read "foreign object" it makes me guffaw. Humor has always worked for me.

I have just celebrated my one year bandiversary :) I LOVE it. I would do it all again if I needed to. No regrets! How can I complain? I walk better, breath better, eat better, smile more, laugh often, experience life more fully....all because of my band and my new normal. My weight loss has stalled a bit over the summer (back injury has kept me out of the gym), but I have decided this was my practice period to learn how to maintain my weight when I hit my goal :) And I have been successful at maintaining this summer. Good luck to all!

Thanks for starting this thread -- I came back here after the Rosie thread which left me so disheartened. I need to be with band-positive people. Instead of getting a lift here today I feel sort of crummy now. The good news: I already had an aggressive one-hour walk around a beautiful lake early this morning and I am not responding to my feelings with food. I'm here instead. Have a great day every one, and yes, I love my foreign object.