Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Been thinking about this on and off for years....

I came back to this site this evening to do a little research. I've been thinking about getting the surgery for years and even went through the classes and met the surgeon. I backed out because I had actually lost a good amount of weight (through counting calories and walking, go figure) while in the class. I'm back up 20+pnds and have been thinking about moving forward with the surgery.

Here are my concerns based on what I've read here and there (so you post-op people may be able to help):

1. I'm worried that I'll have very low energy. I have kids and an incredibly busy schedule (don't we all). Is there something to counteract this? Vitamins, etc?

2. I'm also worried about depression. I tend to be a little low anyway and I've seen a few people who experience this following surgery. Why is this? Is it a hormonal issue or regret or what? This is the biggest of my worries.

3. Is there any food I could never ever eat again? I will I eventually be able to eat most anything in moderation? I don't like the idea of life without chocolate. :)

I'm sure there are a gazillion concerns I left out, but this is it for now.

Thanks!

From my point of view, you will have low energy for a little while, but if you are getting enough Protein there should be no issues after the first couple weeks. Take your time off, rest and heal. You will feel fine. I actually feel like I have had an increase in energy as time goes on.

I can't speak to the depression thing as I was going through a divorce right at the same time, so I think it was a combination thing. I would see what others say.

I have had no issues eating anything, I was operated on 7/24 and I have been able to eat anything that I tried as long as I ate slow.

If you want to ask me any questions at any time i'm open to it. :) Good luck with your decision. I don't regret mine at all, even though I did for about 48 hours after surgery, lol.

I'm almost 10 months post op...here's my perspective.

I have more energy now than I have had in 15 years or so. I used to have to take a nap, sometimes two to get thru the day. Now, if I take a nap it is to relax and recharge - it's not a necessity, it's a nice break to recharge my mind. I have enough energy to wake up at 4:30 am, go to a hot yoga class, get thru my day at work, maybe get a gym workout in and still get dinner on the table for my husband and son.

I was prone to depression prior to surgery - do I have my down days now? Sure, but it's a day every once in a while. No where near the problems I used to have.

For food, there are very few things that I cannot eat. It's a double edged sword. I can eat just about anything. Raw fruits and veggies are hard to tolerate sometimes, I just listen to my body. I can eat out at a restaurant with no problems, I can have meals with friends and there aren't any weird looks about what I eat. Some of my favorite foods before surgery don't appeal to me any more...pasta and bread used to be staples in my diet. Now, I eat a couple of bites and I'm done with them. My tummy much prefers chicken, beef, cheese or cooked veggies. I can tolerate sweets just fine - I just choose not to have a lot. I had a small soft serve ice cream cone the other day - I couldn't finish it, but I did enjoy it. Moderation is the key - I would also suggest not introducing sweets until about month 6. I had to address my addiction to food and my emotional attachment to eating (not an easy task).

1. I'm worried that I'll have very low energy. I have kids and an incredibly busy schedule (don't we all). Is there something to counteract this? Vitamins, etc?

The first 2-3 weeks I was really exhausted, but after losing weight you will have 10 times the energy you have now, so I would totally not see that as a reason not to get the surgery.

2. I'm also worried about depression. I tend to be a little low anyway and I've seen a few people who experience this following surgery. Why is this? Is it a hormonal issue or regret or what? This is the biggest of my worries.

The first month I was convinced I had ruined my life. I felt crummy, I was still fat, and you can't really eat anything so that makes things worse. Since that point, I have consistenly improved in mood and now while I still have my bad days, there are far more good than bad.

3. Is there any food I could never ever eat again? I will I eventually be able to eat most anything in moderation? I don't like the idea of life without chocolate. :)

I can eat absolutely anything I want to. Granted, I can only have a few bites of some things or I get super sick, but this is more than enough for me to be happy. I was eating chocolate by month 3 (around Christmas) and I cut it out in January of this year. I don't really crave sweets anymore, but when I want some, I have a few bites and I am more than satisfied.

All of these things are valid concerns, but none that I feel would keep me from getting the surgery, particularly now that I have the hindsight of knowing how well it all works out in the end. Good luck to you!

Honeyyyyy.....

First of all.... the energy level less than two months out will be thru the roof! I used to be a couch potato, now I jog every day! EVERY DAY!!!!! I haven't said "I'm tired" in 3 months (I'm 4 months post op).

Second, the depression thing....? What is that all about?? ZERO depression, I haven't been THIS happy in over 30 years. Once you see that scale go down down down down and you see the figure you used to have or have always wanted to have, there is zero depression, just a lot of happiness and a positive outlook on life!

Third, food is important to you now, the moment the weight starts to go down so fast and you feel amazingly terrific and could eat anything you want and you get full right away you will get that food obsession out of your head.

To ME, there is NOT one single reason if you're overweight and not loving yourself and not loving how you feel to not get weight loss surgery. It's really the best tool to combat obesity and to gain self-esteem and most importantly to be HEALTHY!!!

I'm speaking to you like I speak to my close friends who have thought about surgery. Don't delay it, get it done, there is NOT one reason why not do it. It's the best thing, it's amazing to feel good again and energized and healthy! My ONLY regret is not having it done when I first thought of doing it 10 years ago but better late than never. Good luck to you!

Lol! Love what "Comeflywithme" said!!! She is absolutely right, too!

I think everybody's experience immediately post-op is different. My aunt and I were sleeved one month apart. She had high energy, I had low energy. During the immediate food stages post-op, she mourned the loss of food. I didn't. I do want to add that she got over her period of mourning, especially once the food stages advanced, but she struggled with it initially. However, as we both look back and reflect on whatever struggles we both endured immediately post-op, it was 1000 times over worth it! Those struggles were just minute moments in time compared to a lifetime (hopefully) of health and happiness. She went from weighing 340 pounds to weighing 165 pounds. I've gone from 250 to 145. We are confidant, more energetic and happier than we have ever been in a long time.

Each one of your concerns are valid, but if you experience any of them they will only be temporary, because the long term benefits out weigh the small struggles you'll experience for just a short period of time.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

Edited by Curvy

I had yrs to think about surgery also. But the past yr was the stick that broke the canals back..referral to a endocrinologist an the tests she ran bc I had gained 55 pds in like less then a yr..I have a goiter on thyroid an hashis an insulin resistance. So my weight wouldn't come off on regular normal stomach size an stomach hormones out of wack! Between her an my internists telling me I was the ideal candidate for sleeve I was referred to surgeon. Filled out online app insurance verification had a app within 7 days..an rest is history! Its a long process, testing, Dr approvals, phsyc evaluation an release letter, some xray, endoscopy, bw, classes, etc..yes it's time consuming but once u submit ur app an start the ball rolling ur in! Sounds like u have had ample time to think it's time for action to get healthy again so you can live! B being overweight or obese is no fun an no life.it's miserable. I took control an I am soo glad I did.! 9 wks post an a lot of pds down! I would still be obese an depressed if I hadn't went for it. Sure ur going to maybe have energy issues for abit but hey..it's major surgery. .ur body takes an uses wat lil bit u take in at first to heal!! The weight drops! Follow protocol don't cheat! No one can answer all these questions for you honestly bc everyone reacts different. But I am in such a better place mentally an starting to physically. .heck I just cleaned out closet gave 6 huge garbage bags away! An it keeps getting better! I have about 75 more to go..best wishes!!

I didn't suffer depression post op and I can eat anything fine.

What happened to me was after about a year at goal life handed me some challenges. I thought I had good coping strategies but I did go through emotional turmoil. I realized that in the past food and obesity would have numbed me. I think that once you are passed the initial thrill of losing weight that can come up. I still think the sleeve was one of tbe best decisions I have made. Went from 308 to about 140ish. Everything in life is easier now.

I had yrs to think about surgery also. But the past yr was the stick that broke the canals back..referral to a endocrinologist an the tests she ran bc I had gained 55 pds in like less then a yr..I have a goiter on thyroid an hashis an insulin resistance. So my weight wouldn't come off on regular normal stomach size an stomach hormones out of wack! Between her an my internists telling me I was the ideal candidate for sleeve I was referred to surgeon. Filled out online app insurance verification had a app within 7 days..an rest is history! Its a long process, testing, Dr approvals, phsyc evaluation an release letter, some xray, endoscopy, bw, classes, etc..yes it's time consuming but once u submit ur app an start the ball rolling ur in! Sounds like u have had ample time to think it's time for action to get healthy again so you can live! B being overweight or obese is no fun an no life.it's miserable. I took control an I am soo glad I did.! 9 wks post an a lot of pds down! I would still be obese an depressed if I hadn't went for it. Sure ur going to maybe have energy issues for abit but hey..it's major surgery. .ur body takes an uses wat lil bit u take in at first to heal!! The weight drops! Follow protocol don't cheat! No one can answer all these questions for you honestly bc everyone reacts different. But I am in such a better place mentally an starting to physically. .heck I just cleaned out closet gave 6 huge garbage bags away! An it keeps getting better! I have about 75 more to go..best wishes!!

I have hashimoto's disease but my thyroid levels are still showing normal. Although, I have most if not all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I go yearly to my endo for blood work but he has not put me on any medication since it always comes back in the normal range. I figure it's a matter of time though. Is this the same thing you have and are your levels normal or hypo?

I just started the process of seeing a Dr, psychiatrist etc and I keep worrying if I am doing the right thing. My biggest worry is I am going to have more problems after than I did before. Coming on here really helps though. Unfortunately I do not have a support system at home, I do have my friends but at home is a different story so I hope I am making the right decision. I am ready for a change !

You're all making me teary. Thank you for the responses!!

I'm also struggling with the fact that I did lose weight on my own before. I was working ym way to a half marathon even. The surgery is a tool...I get that. I'm going to have to get my head in that place to deal with stress, etc. anyway.....I wish I could do it now instead of after surgery. Hoping this makes sense.

The other issue....Did you tell people?? I really wouldn't want my in-laws to know because they have strong opinions about everything. I'm guessing I'd get down small enough for it to be obvious that I was doing something. I just figured I'd tell them I'm eating less, but I worry they would know. And then they'd stare at me any time I did have something to eat. How did you handle this?

I only told 4 ppl an none otherwise. .it's hard enuff mentally an emotionally on oneself to go thru this journey. .can't please everyone an I didn't want to hear it! I did tell my parents my dr was fixing my tummy an hernia. That I'm insulin resistance an was going to fix it..:) after fixing it would b easier to lose weight: )