Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you are thinking of a revision or the sleeve (boring)....

This is a cross post-

Here are my quick stats:

Lap-Band in Monterrey, Mexico in 2003. Over 11 years I lost 100 pounds and gained back 40.

Revision to Gastric Sleeve in Las Vegas August 5, 2014

When I was first researching about a revision surgery and the sleeve, I read about so many complications. I learned a lot about what could happen. For those of you who are debating surgery, here is my success story:

My experience has been great. I have NO REGRETS. I had my revision surgery from the lap-band to a gastric sleeve in one operation. In fact, it was done as an outpatient. I arrived at the hospital at 6am and was on my couch recovering at about 4:30 pm.

Since the first day I was able to drink Water and a ready-made Protein Shake. It was slow drinking, but had no issues. I took my pain medication for 2 days, only because I was scared that if I didn't take them, I would have pain. I didn't. I would say the worst pain I felt on a scale of 1-10 was about a 4. I slept on my side after about 3 nights. I took a shower the day after my surgery and walked a lot. On about day 3 I got the gas pains, but took Gas X and they only were bad for about an hour. I had no problem getting in my 60 grams of Protein - in fact, I usually had 80 grams (2 shakes and one powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup broth)

On day 10, my Protein Shakes started to disagree with me - well, my intestines disagreed with them! As soon as I started drinking, I could feel my intestines filling with water and would have to run to the bathroom. TMI I know, but it happened.

14 days after surgery at my 2 week follow up appointment, I told my doc that the protein shakes were giving me issues and his response was to stop drinking them and "let's get you on solid foods." I haven't had one since (almost 2 weeks ago). Since then, I have been eating real food and I feel great! I have mostly had softer foods like deli turkey or eggs but last night I had salmon and it was great.

I feel better today 25 days after surgery than I have felt in the last 2 years. I have lost 25 pounds but it must look like more because everyone I see is asking me if I have lost weight (I don't think I look like I have, but that's another issue.....) I have energy like never before. I sleep better. I feel "normal" when I go out to eat. I sometimes want the junk, but I am able to resist. My stomach has NEVER growled and I don't feel hungry. Sometimes I feel "empty," but I can wait to eat.

I am a boring patient. I LOVE being boring! Anyone else out there proud to be boring?

I hope to become boring sometime in October and I can't wait! Congratulations on your successes so far : )

Summer

Thanks for posting your success story. I am scheduled for surgery on s September 15th and I'm happy I read your story. It just reminds me that I am making the right decision to go along with the sleeve.

Good luck Summer and Beauty! I hope your procedures are without drama, as well!

I was banded in Monterrey Mexico in 2003 - I had Dr. Rumbaut - was that your doctor? I just had a revision to the sleeve on August 21st. So glad you're doing so well!

I had an x-ray of lap band. It seems ok, but have had no Fluid in over a year and I still choke, gag and throw up. I am 66 years young now. Has anyone my age had the revision to sleeve? I am healthy. I was 238 when I had the lap-band in 2009. I am 205 now after 16 months with no restrictions (except the band). I have arthritus. One year ago this week I had right knee replacement. In December 2013 I had my right hip replaced. Now I need the left knee replaced. I have always been healthy and a very good healer. I know that it would help if I could lose 50 pounds or a little more.

I am happy that you had such wonderful results!

10eshoes- YES my doc was Dr. Rumbaut in July 2003. I loved him. I never regret getting the band. It just lived its life and now I am on to more permanent changes!

cheese I don't want to think I have let 5, 10 years pass before I can have a revision...my band is not agreeing with me :(

Lisa, were you on the old yahoo bandsters group? I had my band in 2001 with Prof. Dr Rudolph Weiner in Frankfort Germany.

I lost about 70# with band and over many years gained back about 110#. :(

I am maintaining a 160# weight loss post revision to sleeve though not always easy.

I just had a revision 10 days ago and I feel great. Down 17 lbs since preop. I haven't had any pain only some vomiting the day of surgery. The next day I was great. Already I feel much better than with the band. I am 60 for those of us older folks it wasn't bad. I hope to live out the rest of my years healthy.

Thank you so much for sharing your age! I am 67 but my band has given me problems for a few years. Theere is no Fluid in it but I still get choked and cannot swallow my meds at times. The x ray looks normal according to doc. ahe thinks I might have scar tissue and doesn't recommend anything else. He said bands usually do not work again after that. Now I'm afraid to have it removed! I was 230 pre band, now I am 201. My lowest with restriction on band was 170.

I am so sorry. I would take the results of your UGI and get a second opinion.