Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do u know when u r at GOAL?

So I've been avoiding setting a goal all along saying I would know when I got there. My doctor just goes by the "lose 60-70% of excess weight." Well I blew past that a while ago.

I've now blown past all my milestone goals--my "I will re evaluate when I get to X weight" goals. You know--under 200, pre pregnancy weight, normal BMI, lowest adult weight...even my stretch "let's see if I can get below X."

I still keep thinking I will know it when I get there, but will I? Some close to me think I am there already. I accidentally put on my 16 yr old skinny Minnie daughter's jeans this morning and while it's not the size I would buy for myself, they actually buttoned. They were size 4.

So...how did you decide? I keep seeing flabbiness so I want to keep going, but when is it just skin? Is it body dysmorphia? I am strong and fit (triathalon last month, training for half marathon in November).

Thoughts for me?

My goal is what the BMI charts see as normal weight. when I get closer I will reevaluate it depending on where my body is at. Right now, most of my body is getting to where I want it, but I still have extra weight around my middle and a bit on my chest, so I am still following the 800 to 1000 calorie a day routine. I feel great so there is no need to change anything just yet.

I am vain. At a certain point, I felt that looking "skinny" makes me look old...ha. You have clearly met all the health benefit goals, so what makes you feel like you look good?

You are right, excess skin looks like fat so don't be tricked by it.

I weigh about 140 now which is a BMI around 23. i read somewhere that "most" women find a BMI of 23 is where they look the best. I found that to be a comfortable thought since I am not sure I trust my own eyes.

I feel like i am in a similar spot as you. I met the goal I established when I began this program. I have continued to loose weight albeit more slowly. I always assumed my body would tell me when to stop but I am not sure. Bottom line is that I am very comfortable with where I am and will continue to try to tone and strengthen, assuming that the weight will stabilize

My dietitian said that your weight loss will slow and gradually stop as you get close to goal. But you are so active, that may not be happening. You are training for a half marathon, do you feel strong and good? If so, you're probably fine where you are. If you start feeling weak during those long workouts, then you may want to increase your calories a bit.

Seriously though, it's a great problem to have. I hope I have the exact same problem. :-)

This has been really hard one for me. I originally set my goal at 150. My surgeon basically told me that she would be happy if I got into the overweight BMI category. Once I got to 150, I adjusted my goal to 145...then 140...then 135. I am currently sitting between 130-133 (21-22 MBI) and I thought I would be happy with that. Some days I am and some days I'm not. Some days, I want to fight to get to 125 and some days, I see my protruding colllar bones and say, stop, you're done. I also have some excess skin on my lower body that I "see" as fat. It's a head trip for sure and I am working on loving what I see in the mirror because I never thought I would get to this low of a weight.

130 pounds ago, I would never have thought I would have this problem. LOL

I'm dealing with the same issue. I met my own goal recently and my Dr really didn't establish his own goal for me. The BMI numbers don't work for me as I have a naturally muscular physique (hidden beneath the fat for many years).

I am rather boney at this point and several are encouraging me to stop losing weight now but I want to work on reducing my love handles more.

I've heard the same thing from my nut and Dr that my body will naturally stop losing weight at some point but I'm not believing that as I think I'm in control of whether I continue losing based on net calories. If I continue to increase my workouts and don't increase my calories, I know I'll continue losing. I was hoping for better guidance from my nut and Dr regarding when to stop.

Same here. My PCP said that if I got down to 150, she would be thrilled so that's the goal I set. I'm 25 lbs. lower at this point...the same weight I was when I got married back in 1977. It's not the same body though...can't be..not after two kids and 35+ years. I think I'm probably done losing in that my weight has pretty much stabilized at or around this number. I'm a 6/8 in pants, 10/12 in dresses and all over the place in tops. So much so, that I have to try them on since I can be a Small to Large depending on the style and manufacturer.

I can do just about anything and I can fit just about everywhere. I have loose skin and still have that pot belly. Only surgery will fix that and I haven't decided if I'll pursue it. My BMI is in the normal range and I've lost more than half my body weight. I have days where I'm amazed at the transformation and other days where all I can do is criticize everything. It's a journey still even if I have reached my 'goal'. I'm thinking you will know when you are at goal when you become comfortable at least most of the time with the amount of weight you've lost. The scale, the BMI, the clothing size...they are all just guidelines. It's how you feel inside that counts.

<p>My goal is what the BMI charts see as normal weight. when I get closer I will reevaluate it depending on where my body is at. Right now, most of my body is getting to where I want it, but I still have extra weight around my middle and a bit on my chest, so I am still following the 800 to 1000 calorie a day routine. I feel great so there is no need to change anything just yet.</p>

=). Yeah that was one of my goals as well, but I am past that as well and am at that reevaluating point you mention! I have extra stuff still, but a good portion is loose skin (with some subcutaneous fat with it!). I'm right there with you on the 800-1000 calories.

<p>I am vain. At a certain point, I felt that looking "skinny" makes me look old...ha. You have clearly met all the health benefit goals, so what makes you feel like you look good?</p> <p> </p> <p>You are right, excess skin looks like fat so don't be tricked by it.</p> <p> </p> <p>I weigh about 140 now which is a BMI around 23. i read somewhere that "most" women find a BMI of 23 is where they look the best. I found that to be a comfortable thought since I am not sure I trust my own eyes.</p>

Thank you cowgirl! I was hoping you'd reply...I've followed your story closely you are one of my role models!

I am now in the 140's (5'7") and right around that BMI. That's a very helpful guideline thanks. I am not sure about what might make me feel I look good...that's one of my concerns. That I will decide I will never get there!!! Body dysmorphia or something.

I appreciate your comments!!

I feel like i am in a similar spot as you. I met the goal I established when I began this program. I have continued to loose weight albeit more slowly. I always assumed my body would tell me when to stop but I am not sure. Bottom line is that I am very comfortable with where I am and will continue to try to tone and strengthen, assuming that the weight will stabilize

=). Sounds like a good plan! Maybe my body will just tell me when I get there!

<p>My dietitian said that your weight loss will slow and gradually stop as you get close to goal. But you are so active, that may not be happening. You are training for a half marathon, do you feel strong and good? If so, you're probably fine where you are. If you start feeling weak during those long workouts, then you may want to increase your calories a bit. </p> <p> </p> <p>Seriously though, it's a great problem to have. I hope I have the exact same problem. :-)</p>

Thanks! Yes def a good problem to have! And I do increase my calories and good carbs on my long run days. And I do feel strong and good. Good point! That's definitely telling me something =)

<p>This has been really hard one for me. I originally set my goal at 150. My surgeon basically told me that she would be happy if I got into the overweight BMI category. Once I got to 150, I adjusted my goal to 145...then 140...then 135. I am currently sitting between 130-133 (21-22 MBI) and I thought I would be happy with that. Some days I am and some days I'm not. Some days, I want to fight to get to 125 and some days, I see my protruding colllar bones and say, stop, you're done. I also have some excess skin on my lower body that I "see" as fat. It's a head trip for sure and I am working on loving what I see in the mirror because I never thought I would get to this low of a weight.</p> <p> </p> <p>130 pounds ago, I would never have thought I would have this problem. LOL</p>

You and I are at similar points in our journey sounds like! I hate to admit it but I am enjoying the protruding collar bones (though not as thrilled about the bone that juts out between my boobs at the bottom of my ribcage...is that the sternum?)

I'm dealing with the same issue. I met my own goal recently and my Dr really didn't establish his own goal for me. The BMI numbers don't work for me as I have a naturally muscular physique (hidden beneath the fat for many years).<br><br> I am rather boney at this point and several are encouraging me to stop losing weight now but I want to work on reducing my love handles more.<br><br> I've heard the same thing from my nut and Dr that my body will naturally stop losing weight at some point but I'm not believing that as I think I'm in control of whether I continue losing based on net calories. If I continue to increase my workouts and don't increase my calories, I know I'll continue losing. I was hoping for better guidance from my nut and Dr regarding when to stop.

Your story sounds like mine! I have a very young inexperienced NUT! I think I may schedule an appt with my GP and get his advice. We have a struggled together with my weight for over 20 years so maybe he can help guide me!

Same here. My PCP said that if I got down to 150, she would be thrilled so that's the goal I set. I'm 25 lbs. lower at this point...the same weight I was when I got married back in 1977. It's not the same body though...can't be..not after two kids and 35+ years. I think I'm probably done losing in that my weight has pretty much stabilized at or around this number. I'm a 6/8 in pants, 10/12 in dresses and all over the place in tops. So much so, that I have to try them on since I can be a Small to Large depending on the style and manufacturer.<br><br>I can do just about anything and I can fit just about everywhere. I have loose skin and still have that pot belly. Only surgery will fix that and I haven't decided if I'll pursue it. My BMI is in the normal range and I've lost more than half my body weight. I have days where I'm amazed at the transformation and other days where all I can do is criticize everything. It's a journey still even if I have reached my 'goal'. I'm thinking you will know when you are at goal when you become comfortable at least most of the time with the amount of weight you've lost. The scale, the BMI, the clothing size...they are all just guidelines. It's how you feel inside that counts.

Good thoughts thank you! Honestly I love were I am at...6 pants, M shirt...and that might get smaller if I have surgery for the skin. It's almost a game with me now...how low can I get? And I think that's what scares me a bit...that doesn't seem like a healthy attitude!