Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. I was just sleeved on August 4th and things seem to be going well overall.

I have lost 16 lbs pre-op and 5 lbs post-op.... though I am thankful for the 5 lbs post-op I am starting to struggle with thoughts and fears.

I have seen a lot of helpful info and hear many share their story/experience and it does help, BUT one additional issue I deal with in general is I have an anxiety disorder and sometimes that seems to amplify the thoughts and fears that I am dealing with. =(

I want so much to be successful in my weight loss journey, I have struggled so very long with many obstacles in the way that have prevented me from having any success (in the past). I am trying not to look at the #s right now, but it is difficult. It is difficult and a back and forth battle of being thankful for what I have already lost, (something I haven't been able to do in over 4 years) and wanting to have more success and lose so much more than I have.

I know that everyone's battles are different and I know not to measure my journey the same way... but I just needed to reach out and share from my heart because I am struggling and if I didn't voice this out and continued to hold this in, I know it would continue to overwhelm me.

i suffer from anxiety too, and i understand what's going through your mind. you know intellectually how to handle everything, but the anxiety stops you. good for you for reaching out! this is a great place to dump your fears and worries and watch them dissolve. keep doing it if it helps!

have you thought about blogging, or journaling in some way? i've seen a few people create a thread here that they update regularly to track their progress. i find that when i have anxiety, it helps me a lot to read things i've written along the way to remind me of how far i've come. obviously you can't predict how much you will lose day to day or week to week, but you CAN be sure of how very far you've come so far.

i can't WAIT until i can say i lost 20 lbs like you have! congratulations!

Hi there - I'm an anxious sort myself and have many anxieties about the sleeve. I can tell you that it does get better the further I get from surgery though. I felt a huge relief after the stress of anticipating surgery, but the fear of failure has not gone away. But as I continue to lose it slowly gets better. I'm actually in a stall right now, and it's driving me a bit batty, but I'm hanging in.

Take care and keep posting about your particular anxieties. It should help

I have anxiety too. I am currently taking Lexapro to help and it works! I am able to put off thoughts or categorize them so I can deal with things 1 at a time. I am determined to push all negative thoughts aside and concentrate on the positive. Do NOT be afraid to ask for help with anxiety. It is real. There are options. Journaling does help. I was told to journal...write letters to myself.....and then when I'm ready to step past those negative anxiety producing thoughts then burn the letters. Its very freeing. If you have to....write them again and again and burn/release them. Sounds silly, I was skeptical at first, but it really does bring some peace.

Final bit of advise.....stay away from the scale for a while. You had the sleeve because it has proven to take the weight off of people for years. Trust it. Trust yourself. Follow the nutritionists guidelines. No worries....its going to drop off in its own good time as long as you follow the program.

Best wishes! Hang in there! ;)

I didn't even know I had anxiety disorder until after I got to goal. I realize in hindsight that one of my many "uses" for overeating was quieting my anxiety. Once food no longer worked to numb that away - it got pretty awful. so, I think you are wise to take it seriously, to seek counseling or other help through this process.

Now, I seem to be quite stable and feeling pretty dang good! I have learned better coping skills...including... and here was the shocker for me... "I won't die if I feel bad sometimes!"

Anyway, best of luck to you - this is quite a journey!

It is very common for anxiety to go up the first month or so after surgery since there are a lot of hormonal changes taking place. It helped me to remind myself of this fact when I would have an attack.

Hi-

I think that the best thing that you can do is what you have done, reaching out on this site and asking for reassurance that you are not alone with your fears. You have already done a very brave thing, pursuing and having your surgery. Now we just stick to the guidelines set for us and we WILL have success.

I'm only about a week ahead of you, so no great expert, but it looks as if you're doing great! If you're healing well and feeling a bit better everyday, that's success! If you feel that the number on the scale is going to cause you more anxiety, I'd put the scale away and just weigh yourself once a week.

Wishing you all the best!

I suffer from severe anxiety and chronic depression. I worry about staying at a good weight, reasonable weight. While everyone's battles are different. This one we all have in common. We all fear regain. And or failure at this program like all the others.

But it does not have to be that way. We need to always be watchful regarding intake and put Protein first. Veggies next, fruit and last but not least carbs. Drinking our Water 64 oz and exercising as often as we can 3 times a week is balance. More then your my hero!

There will be times the scale is mean to you. But I personally found that if I did not weigh myself, only at appointments with my team I never had a regain. Or experienced a stall. I am sure they happened but I never felt them or saw them personally.

The scale is an enemy and it triggers fear and the possible anxiety of failing. I feel that it can cause us such fear that we can give up on our goals.

As long as you are following the above outlines for intake..You should lose the weight! And no doubt will. What you are doing is wasting good energy on bad. When you feel that way. Go for a walk.... As my mother used to say ' blow the stink off.' I believe negative feelings that take root in our minds stink and should be cast aside.

You got this and you have us to help you a long the way. Don't hesitate to put your feelings out there. Write them down and start to log the non-scale victories that happen to you.

It's all good! Just keep your eye on the prize and keep swimming! okay :)

Just keep following your plan and the weight will come off. About the anxiety... It is normal to have more anxiety\be more emotional the first few months after surgery. As your body releases fat, it also releases the hormones and toxins stored there. It can make us a bit crazier than normal for the first few months. I know I was. Good news is, that part improves. At least for me, I've been able to give up the anti-anxiety med I took pre-op. It was prescribed to help with blood pressure and once the weight came off I didn't need BP meds or anxiety meds anymore. Celebrate your victories. You got this!

Thank you ALL so very much for your words of wisdom and encouragement. It truly helps knowing that there are others who can truly relate what you are going through.... Struggles and battles in general can be rough, but when you add the battles with an anxiety disorder, it really amplifies and adds a lot more to the battle itself.... giving voice to this truly helped me.

I woke up feeling lighter and less clouded having reached out and shared this post.
Today is another NEW day and I embrace it as such... (not trying to be "dramatic", just honest in the midst of my battle with anxiety etc...) another step in this new journey..... ..I will heed the good insight and advice given too. :)

Sincerely, and best wishes to you all too.

Angi