Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve vs. Band problems when eating.

So I'm just over two weeks now with my sleeve and I had the lap band for 7 years and I was wondering if someone can tell me the differences? I saw someone post something about "foamies" and don't know what that is.

I know with band what too much food felt like and what stuck felt like. With the sleeve does too much food also feel like food stuffed up to your chest? Is there a pain? When people say food comes up is it like a pop like with the band or slow?

I'm burping a lot right now as I drink my shakes and Water, is that a sign I'm going to fast or normal as I heal and does it go away?

Sorry for so many questions and I have more. I went through all the programs but hearing it from a group of people who know first hand makes me feel like I'm not alone. i have my check in with the doctor tomorrow and will be following up with her also.

I'm hoping to understand how with this surgery your body communicates with you versus how my band did.

For me, the feeling with the sleeve is completely different. Your full feeling is actually in your stomach and not up in your throat. You will get used to it. It's actually a lot more like the full feeling you used to get before being banded, though it's probably been a while since you've experienced that feeling.

What you are feeling now with the burping and gas is just temporary. Once you get out a little further, all of that should go away. I am 8 weeks out and I can eat and drink within any problems now. You do want to take it slow right now and listen to what your body is telling you because everyone heals at a different rate.

Good luck and you will do great!

I had the band for 10 years and I felt like I was always hungry, but eating dense Protein often made me feel pain or discomfort.

Since I knew that revisions might not lose weight as well, I talked alot to the nutritionalist about this. She started me down the path of not thinking about "full" or "too much". Rather I was to practice stopping eating when no longer hungry. Now, that was a new concept! So, I suggest that once you are on solid foods you start thinking that way - absence of hunger, not full.

I have vomited a few times since being sleeved, each time it was from inhaling food too fast. I don't know about foamies or any of that... I am 2.5 years out and have not experienced those things. Small quantities of dense Protein and veggies, follow the guidelines and you will likely feel satiated.

A couple of caveats... first 6 weeks, I ate by the measuring spoon and clock - while your stomach is healing you can't trust the "signals". Also, acid can feel like hunger so be sure you are on a PPI the first few months at least while your body adjusts to a small tummy.

What I'm wondering now is the difficulty to eat certain kinds of food that probably too dry (which we never had problem swallowing post-op), is it going away?

Now that I can eat the solid food but it's like I lost appetite maybe because I'm not hungry?

Now I eat because I have to and nothing even my favourite dishes please me anymore.

Fairy sleeve - that is ideal. This is the time to get over food addictions and lose alot of weight. Your tastes and hunger will return, for now food is like a prescription you take for good health.

Thanks Jane, I know I just have to get used to it. Hope that I can feel normal again one day. :-P

Thanks Jane, I know I just have to get used to it. Hope that I can feel normal again one day. :-P

Your new way of eating will feel normal to you soon and you will wonder how you ever lived the other way.

Never heard of foamies...

I was banded in 2005 and sleeved in 2014

With the sleeve i can eat anything except FRIED foods...it gives me dumping syndrome, which is fast heart rate, sweating, chills, severe stomach cramps and runs within 30 min of eating and last 30-60 min...happen twice so no fried/greasy food for me....

When i am full i usually burp if i try to keep eating i get a stomach ache...no vomitting, no stuck food, no acid reflux and i can lay down and eat

My nurse was a band to bypass patient and she described what she calls band brain. She says from about week 2 to 8 you really have to relearn what full feels like because with the band full was almost a painful sensation and if we eat until we get that sensation with the sleeve, we have already eaten too much.

I think my strategy is going to be to measure everything out for the first several months.

For me, the feeling with the sleeve is completely different. Your full feeling is actually in your stomach and not up in your throat. You will get used to it. It's actually a lot more like the full feeling you used to get before being banded, though it's probably been a while since you've experienced that feeling.

What you are feeling now with the burping and gas is just temporary. Once you get out a little further, all of that should go away. I am 8 weeks out and I can eat and drink within any problems now. You do want to take it slow right now and listen to what your body is telling you because everyone heals at a different rate.

Good luck and you will do great!

This is a good explanation. Cause I have been banded since November 08, and I don't really know how it's like to be full naturally. I look forward to the healthy balance. Question: can you tell that you no longer have your hunger hormone? I think I am gonna be happy to get rid of that along with this damn band.

This is a good explanation. Cause I have been banded since November 08, and I don't really know how it's like to be full naturally. I look forward to the healthy balance. Question: can you tell that you no longer have your hunger hormone? I think I am gonna be happy to get rid of that along with this damn band.

To my knowledge there is no removal of the "hunger hormone". The hormone you are referring to is called Ghrelin. It is my understanding that the amount that is produced in the stomach is reduced due to the reduction of the size of the stomach. Hunger is an important function of survival and it should not be removed completely.

I was banded in 2009 and converted to the sleeve in April 2014. I have found that with the sleeve I am able to eat small meals that leave me satiated for hours. Eating meals high in Protein and good carbs (ex. whole grains) suppresses the Ghrelin production, therefore reducing hunger.

You may also still have head hunger--the desire to eat due to emotions or other mental factors. I have found that even when I struggle with bouts of head hunger I am able to stave off eating because I still feel physically satisfied.

I say all of this because I do not want you to go in to this thinking you will not feel hungry again. You will. You will just have a better tool to manage the hunger. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the explanation. I guess I misunderstood. I am happy to be full in my stomach and not in my throat (esophagus). I know this is a journey that I need. I am happy to have people on this journey that understand what I am going through, and the journey I am to take.

Still feeling nervous. Anyone being sleeved on or around the 19th?

I am set up for Sept 9. I'm getting nervous. I hope they can take the band out and do the sleeve all in one surgery.