Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I am no longer confused. I have been here reading at the forum, I have just started reading my fourth lap band book, I am going to a seminar on Monday evening and the following Monday afternoon I meet with Dr. Shayani. I already called my insurance and I qualify with a BMI somewhere around 52, the only other thing they require is that I am educated on what to expect after the band.

I have a friend who had RNY surgery and chatted with her for a while yesterday, it seems there are many similarities between the band and RNY in terms of eating afterwards though I think the band is probably more restrictive on types of food from what I have learned and what she was saying. She is going to be a great addition to my team because she understands what I will be going through. She lost a lot of weight but is overweight but she eats all the wrong things. I have no intention right now of doing that. I want my life.

What led me here? I have lost at least 90lbs three times over, always regained and now at 56 years old I am really feeling it. It is like someone threw a switch and something went horribly wrong. I can't lose weight. My tummy has got HUGE when I always had a figure no matter how big I was before. I am at my heaviest weight ever, can't exercise, even daily life is a massive effort, getting dressed has me breathing like I ran a mile. Just the effort of getting dressed and going to work is all I got. Worst of all, I developed a bad Water retention problem worse than ever that along with everything else meant I could not make the trip to my sons wedding in England on Tuesday.

I am ready for a massive change. Do I wish it could be different? Yes. But I am determined to be positive about this whole experience and I do feel happier because I have hope where I had none.

@@shantra, good for you! You will do this! Stay connected here. It really helps for motivation. Good luck.

YAY!! I'm so happy for you! Stay connected, PM me anytime you want to chat .. I'll get back to you as soon as I get the message.

^5

Hi there -- you are in the right place! You've done a lot of great research. I have learned so much from the people here on the forum. I started my process in June of 2013 and was banded in November. I am still so thrilled about the whole thing. Not a day goes by without me feeling like jumping for joy. I honestly can't believe how good I feel -- not just the weight loss but the choosing to change my life has been so empowering. I'm in my fifties also and it's like I've changed the course of the whole rest of my life. I can hear all of this in your post. That determination and positive attitude are going to play a big role in all the exciting times to come. I'm so happy for you!

Good luck to you!

@@shantra Good for you! Congrats on making your decision. Let us know how your doing.

You can do this! This sight is so motivating. There are so many great topics on things I just hadn't thought of. The best part of this site has to be the people. Everyone I have chatted with on here has offered excellent advice from their perspective and what better place to get advice than from someone who has been there and done that!