Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre surgery person with questions!

Good afternoon-

I am in the 4th month of the pre surgery steps.. I have some questions for people who have already had the sleeve done-

Do you feel tired all the time?

Do you get sick a lot?

Any surgery complications?

Do you regret the surgery at all?

Any tips for those who haven't had the surgery yet??

Are you able to drink soda post surgery?

Thank you for your time. I am so nervous about everything!! Especially the tired and complications part. I have 2 small boys and I gotta be there for them!!

Thanks again for your time!! I really appreciate it.

???????????? Lindsay ????????????

Do you feel tired all the time? No not really but certain things make me feel tired like a shower too hot.

Do you get sick a lot? It's only been 2 weeks since my surgery, haven't been sick yet. I take my vitimins as instructed.

Any surgery complications? None what so ever.

Do you regret the surgery at all? Nope, one of the best decisions I ever made.

Are you able to drink soda post surgery? No you really shouldn't. I haven't read one plan that allows it- some do say to let it go flat first but also read that makes it worse. Soda can stretch your new stomach- and why would you want to do that. You will not miss it at all in fact you will feel so much better not drinking them.

Thank you so much!

What were some of the things you did prior to surgery that helped you get ready and to ready you for your new lifestyle? I don't feel like I am given enough information (or even time) at my appointments. I almost feel like they are just going through the motions that need to be done in order for me to have the surgery.

Do you feel tired all the time?

No, I have more energy now than I have ever had in my life. Being obese is what makes people tired, not getting healthy!

Do you get sick a lot?

No, I got a cold last month and had one around last Christmas, but that's it. That would have been normal for me before the surgery too. I don't ever get sick in terms of stomach sickness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or anything like that.

Any surgery complications?

Nope.

Do you regret the surgery at all?

Never. If I had to have this surgery again every year for the rest of my life in order to stay the way I am now, I would do it gladly. Thankfully I don't have to though!

Trust your surgeon and his/her team. Follow their directions and if their directions conflict with what strangers on the internet tell you -- follow YOUR surgeon, not someone else's!

Get up and moving, and keep moving, as soon after the surgery as you can.

Buy lots of Protein powder samples and an immersion blender before surgery (unless you are committed to RTD shakes) but don't stock up on tubs of Protein flavors - your tastes will very likely change. And look into savory protein options such as powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup, HealthSmart Soups, stuff like that.

Get a myfitnesspal.com account and learn how to use it to log your food, customize your goals, etc.

Ask your team and the folks here lots of questions! And do a lot of reading on all the sleeve forums here -- not just the ones that apply to you right now. That way you'll know things like "what is the three week stall?" and "why don't I feel any restriction on full liquids?" and "why does my stomach keep making those weird noises?" -- information is power!

Are you able to drink soda post surgery?

I haven't tried soda, no reason to. But I did try champagne and I have to say the carbonation felt a little weird and uncomfortable.

Edited by Bufflehead

I started "practiceing" about 2 months before my surgery date.

I started eating low carb during the week and I stopped drinking liquids 30 mintues before meals, not at all during meals and I'd wait another 30 after because that is one of the biggest rules it seems with all plans.

I also read various plans, you can get a good variery from the internet just so I knew what to expect after. Some are very detailed with good bits of informaiton and other very vauge. Of course you will follow your own surgeons plan-

I was already a Water drinker but I started drinking even more, this is another rule all plans have.

Can someone please tell me if the unjury chicken Soup is a "clear liquid"? I have surgery in 2 weeks and I'm trying to get stuff ordered online.

Thanks.

Violet

I was tired at first but got past that in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Never been ill.

No complications - no pain except first 2 days, no nausea.

Absolutely no regrets. Smartest thing I have done in a long time.

Tips - join a support group. You will be surprised what you will learn there.

No carbonated drinks - ever. I tried a couple of sips & it didn't feel very good.

Don't be nervous. Also, learn to use MyFitnessPal and/or write down everything you eat. I got off track by not doing this. I add up everything at the end of the day to make sure I'm eating what I'm supposed to do. Also, even 12 weeks post op I still drink a Protein shake first thing in the morning. I have a friend who had her sleeve surgery 3 years ago and she still drinks shakes. I plan on making them a part of my diet for the rest of my life.

Good luck on your surgery. You won't regret it.

Do you feel tired all the time? I have more energy now then I did before surgery!

Do you get sick a lot? No, but there can be some discomfort when I try new foods.

Any surgery complications? None

Do you regret the surgery at all? Nope

Any tips for those who haven't had the surgery yet?? Prepare your mind as much as your body. I had to work to find something that comforted me as much as food. And learn how to eat slower and smaller and chew throroughly. It's amazing just how little you need to feel full and how just one more bite can really suck later.

Are you able to drink soda post surgery? Technically you can, but it's a bad idea. It's completely empty nutritionally and it can stretch your sleeve and cause a lot of discomfort. I used to be a soda fiend and fell victim to a Coke about a week ago. I doubt I even drank half. The carbonation made me very uncomfortable and it just wasn't worth it.

Good luck with everything!

Hi, I'm almost 4 mos out and have never felt tired.Im a nurse who works quite a bit of OT and am working out 6 days a week. The only time I felt sick is when I ate too much too fast, it didn't last. I had zero complications other that immediate post of nausea/ vomiting, went away in 2 days. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I would probably have spent more time planning for my immediate post op diet for when I got home from the hospital. I have not tried drinking soda yet and am not sure if I will.