Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Pre-Op and Exercise

I am still in the very early stages of this journey (hoping to have my RNY in Dec). I'm hoping that someone further along than I am can answer this. My surgeon requires his patients to get an hour of exercise a day, seven days a week both pre and post op. It can be broken into several shorter sessions, it just needs to total an hour.

For several years, I have taken Water aerobics three times a week. Since finding out about this requirement, I have up it to five times a week.(I'm still working to get the weekends going) After I finish class and get home I am so tired that I'm pretty much non functioning. Will this get better or will it be like this until I have my RNY and lose some of my weight. Every week, I think "This week will be better", but so far its not. I didn't get any where near this tired when I started the three times a week and I weigh less now that I did then!

One hour of exercise a day is pretty tough for ANYONE to do. Your doctor is very strict. I, personally, would find another doctor. Not that I am looking for an easy way out, but come on! An hour a day!!!!

That is tough ... I am happy when I hit my 30-min a day mark!

Hang in there, it definitely gets easier.

In my program, there was a strong suggestion to exercise 30-45 minutes per day 3-4 times per week.

I wasn't happy with the progress that was getting me, so I forced myself into 45-60 minutes a day, 6-7 days a week.

I started out MUCH heavier than you, and know exactly what you mean about being completely wiped out afterwards. Luckily after about a month things started getting easier and I wasn't quite so worthless after the workout.

I started really focusing on the working out around September and by the time I had my surgery in February the working out was almost addicting as I actually wanted to do it rather than forcing myself to.

Now that I'm over 5 months out of surgery I am constantly looking for new workouts, exercise options, etc... to keep things from getting stale. Not all of them are easy, but hearing the weight continue to decrease (my scale talks) sure helps remind me that it is all worth it.

I go to the gym 6 days a week for a hour or so. I either power walk for 60 minutes on the treadmill or use the bike for 10 to 12 miles, usually about 45 minutes. I felt like crap afterward until I started taking in more Protein. I get close to a 100 grams of protein in a day. It gives you energy and helps your muscles heal. Try that and see if it helps, if not I would consult the nutritionist, to see if a change in your diet is necessary.

I'm already getting over 100 grams a day. Protein shakes along with a lot of veggies and some fruit seems to be the only way I can lose any weight. Adding the two extra days of exercise has helped break a stall, so it looks like I'll have a loss at my next weigh-in. Just over three more months of "dieting" before I can start having what I'm calling "a normal life" after surgery. At least I love my Water aerobics class! It's like having a Water party with all your best friends! We talk, we laugh, and when things get a little too intense and quiet, someone will make a joke and break the tension. I've also learned you can definitely work up a good sweat, even in the pool! So, I"ll just keep doing what I've been doing and hope that my energy levels pick up sooner rather than later!

That is a lot of exercise. I started off doing 30 minutes 4 days a week, and now I'm up to an hour 4 days per week (yoga twice a week and Water aerobics twice a week), and 45 minutes of recumbent bike riding 2-3 days per week. It does get easier the more fit you get. The key is to make sure you get adequate Protein (which it sounds like you are) and adequate rest.

BTW, I'm still pre-op and I know that right after surgery, I'll just be walking, and it will take a little while to get back to the level I'm exercising at now.

Edited by diyana