Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Late 20s/early 30s women who had RNY

Hello all,

I am 29 and had my RNY July 1 2014. My highest weight was 270# and I only lost about 6# before surgery. My current weight is 247.

I would love to find women my age to connect with on BP. Everyone here has been great but I'd love to find women who are my age to swap successes, stories, questions, advice, and fears with.

For example, I can't seem to find any threads regarding excess skin in women my age. How did your skin hold up after WLS? Another thing, many women on here seem to have kids and talk about running around with the kids. That's great and I welcome women with families but I also want to hear about single women and dating and going out dancing, going to bars and parties and experiencing some of the things you may have skipped out on before due to obesity!

I'm 31 yrs old and my highest was 272, but I'm still in the pre-op phase. I'm also married with two kids, so I don't really fit the demographic you're looking for. :) I'm curious what the others in our age group have to say about the skin issue though.

Do you have a surgery date yet?

Nope, not yet. It will likely be mid-Nov/mid-Dec.

Hi Jessica,

I am 34 and am about to have the RNY surgery (12 days and counting!!) I have lost 34 pounds in the last couple of months leading up to the surgery but can't wait until the surgery is over and the weight starts coming off a bit more quickly!

I am quite a bit heavier than you :-) and am also quite interested / scared to know what the issues with excess skin might be - I have been told that eating some of the "good" fats and oils will help skin elasticity (linseed / flaxseed oil etc).

I don't have kids or much of a social life at all really and a lot of that is probably due to the weight - who knows what will happen once I lose weight, it will be like a whole new world, at least that's what I am hoping.

Please keep us updated with your story, I will be very interested to hear how you are going since you will be about 6 weeks ahead of me,

I am 34 and 2 years post op from RNY. I am married, and we have 4 legged kids. My starting weight was 256 and currently I weight about 135. Loose skin depends on so many factors: age, genetics, how much you have to lose, and exercise. I have loose skin in my tummy, boobs and a little in my arms.

My loose skin in the tummy seems to be getting a little better as I concentrate on that area during my strength training.

As for my arms and boobs they are bothersome to me. My boobs hang down low and the loose skin for my arms is around the armpit area. I honestly think it goes hand and hand with the loose skin around my boobs. I think my arms would have been worse if I had not worked on them so much during strength training in the gym.

I still have my stretch marks around my boobs and tummy, but they are slowly fading away. I am thinking about plastic surgery. I mainly want a breast reduction to ease upper back pain.

Although I am a happily married woman I have enjoyed being noticed by men more now that I am skinner. I have become much more outgoing and confident since my surgery.

You will learn a lot about yourself in the coming months. All your dreams are possible!! Set goals that do not include the scale. When you reach a goal think of another one. You will be amazed at what you can do!!

Hey!

I'm turning 28 in a couple months and will be having RNY early to mid October. I have my fur-kids but will be looking forward to many of the things you mentioned in your post! I'm so excited to start living an active life!

I'm a little worried about skin, but I figure my stomach is screwed up now as it is, and at least I can hide the skin with my clothes. I guess intimacy will be a bit awkward and will make me self conscious but who knows...

Right now, I'm struggling with the fear of regret. I'm afraid I will regret my decision afterwards and on the flip side, I'm afraid I'll regret it if I don't...so I feel like hearing some honesty would he great for me! I feel like I'm on a crazy roller coaster, one day I'm super excited and want to have my surgery now, then the next day fear kicks in. I know it's normal, but I'm driving myself crazy! Lol.

Hey!<br><br> I'm turning 28 in a couple months and will be having RNY early to mid October. I have my fur-kids but will be looking forward to many of the things you mentioned in your post! I'm so excited to start living an active life!<br><br> I'm a little worried about skin, but I figure my stomach is screwed up now as it is, and at least I can hide the skin with my clothes. I guess intimacy will be a bit awkward and will make me self conscious but who knows... <br><br> Right now, I'm struggling with the fear of regret. I'm afraid I will regret my decision afterwards and on the flip side, I'm afraid I'll regret it if I don't...so I feel like hearing some honesty would he great for me! I feel like I'm on a crazy roller coaster, one day I'm super excited and want to have my surgery now, then the next day fear kicks in. I know it's normal, but I'm driving myself crazy! Lol.

Just so you know now you will have a moment if regret on the flip side. It is 100% normal. It usually hits about 3-4 weeks in. Our bodies are flooded with hormones and all we want to eat is a burger or pizza. At 3-4 weeks you might still be on liquids or purée, and it is at this time you will regret the decision. However you will see the weight loss and realize it was all worth it. Especially when you go shopping for new clothes!

I had my buyer's remorse around week two. All I wanted was to eat nachos or a burger and feel a full belly!! I am now four weeks out and feel much more optimistic. I am down 22# and can't wait for my clothes to get baggy! The added variety to my diet has helped tremendously with cravings.

I am married and we have a dog, too. I used to love going out socializing but as we settled into comfy cohabitation we got fatter together. Although my husband is overweight he is very active and I hope I'll be able to share in some of his hobbies as I slim down.

In regards to skin, I really hope my arms and thighs don't have too much extra. I'm pretty small chested so not too worried about the boobs and I can't imagine ever feeling confident enough to show my belly! I'm not opposed to plastic surgery in the future but finances are tight so I don't know if it will be an option.

I am 34, married, but I'm not chasing any kids. Nothing wrong with children, I just love the ones that don't come home with me. My highest weight was 325. I was 299 the day of surgery. Now I am 273. I carry most of my weight in my midsection. I have a big tummy and no butt. I have went from a 26 to an 18 in the last 3 weeks. I have extra skin on my inner thighs and on my arms. I still have a chubby tummy, but I know once I lose more weight I will have extra skin there too. Oh yeah, my bra size has gone from a 46c to 44b. I could probably wear a 42b but I just haven't bought one to try it. I workout 6 days a week whether it's on the treadmill or cycling. I have accepted the fact that I am going to have extra skin. I plan on getting a breast lift with augmentation and a Tummy Tuck once my weight stabilizes. My husband bought pizza one night and that was my moment of regret, but he paid the price for cause he had to eat for 4 days.

Edited by jtickle

Wow jtickle it sounds like you are shrinking so fast and you are really working hard at it. I still don't have the energy to work out like that, I hope I get it soon! I seem to have stalled this past week (on the scale) but my legs feel firmer and less jiggly and I have swapped out my baggy swim shorts for a pair of tiny shirts I have never been able to wear before! They're still probably a bit too small for me but the others were falling off as soon as the got the weight if the Water on them so that's encouraging.

Also, I got hit on at the park this week! I was laying out in shorts and a tank top, sunbathing and reading my book, and a guy asked me if he could join me. He said I was cute. I was so shocked I didn't even tell him I was married, I just said I'd prefer he didn't join me. I felt flattered and creeped out and guilty all at once. It's been a long time since I was hit on so cowardly like that :)

Oops typo! I meant so fowardly, not cowardly

I am 29 years old and had my surgery Halloween 2013.

My highest weight was 333 pounds, had surgery at 282 pound and currently weigh 182 pounds!

Regrets: for the first 8 months I had regrets. Please note though, I had a lot of complications, some of which astounded my doctor. My first 2 months, I could only get in maybe 150 calories, and about 36 calories my first month

Now that all my complications have subsided, I no longer have any regrets. I am the fittest I have ever been, I am competing in races, and love my new body.

Ok, your big question, excess skin. I have a lot!!!! I will see if I can find a picture. My body looks like a smaller version of my biggest form. I have a similar tummy, just a little deflated.

At 150 pounds lost, I am ok with my excess skin. Do I wish I had a flat tummy, totally, but I am so grateful for the things I can now do, that my body image is not dependent on a fit body.

I no longer have weight/scale goals, I have fitness goals.

In 2 weeks, I am running a 10k obstacle course! I could not have done that a year ago.

I went kayaking, stand up paddleboarding and more

I have a life back. Please feel free to ask me anything, I am an open book lol.

Now to find some pictures. I will attach some skin ones, as well as some clothing ones so you can see the difference. I don't wear spanks or anything.

post-127264-0-68098400-1407181894_thumb.png

post-127264-0-88923700-1407181918_thumb.png

Here are a few more pictures. Sorry they are sideways, they do not look like that on my phone.

Also, I am wearing size 12/14 and am 5'6"

post-127264-0-88923100-1407181962_thumb.png

post-127264-0-77793800-1407182010_thumb.png

post-127264-0-90877000-1407182049_thumb.png

Edited by AutumnPunkin

Thanks for sharing Autumn, how inspiring! Do you need to wear any kind if compression top when you go running? I cant imagine myself ever running... I suppose no one does when they're so overweight though. Who knows what I'll find passion for when I'm lighter and have more energy.