Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You've lost enough

I'm tired of co workers, distant family and acquaintances making the comment that I have lost enough. I'm 5'5, HW was 230, CW 155, goal is 140. It's difficult when you put up with fat comments all your life then when you make lifestyle changes the comments continue. They may say it out of concern, It's just that I don't want to hear it!

comment that I have lost enough

@@Bludtkr

ONE person said to me once that i shouldn't lose any more weight (20 lbs before my goal) i didn't like hearing it because i know i needed to drop more

i can only imagine hearing it frequently must be a drag :blink:

you are right about "fat" comments we all received

ie you should lose MORE weight

now that you've lost the weight - they say what :o

can't win for "losing" :o :D

i think the word "jealous" is possibly used too often by OP on the board, but............

i think its warrented in your case

you are lookin great now!!! :)

"they" can see B) that

maybe they think something like

"oh, oh, if you lose more, you'll look better than me?? :wacko: :lol: "

try and ignore them (easier said than done)

now, its finally all about YOU :)

do whatever your body tells you

who cares about them?? :huh: :D

keep up the great job :)

(I know you will)

wonderful weight loss

kathy

congrats

I'm tired of co workers, distant family and acquaintances making the comment that I have lost enough. I'm 5'5, HW was 230, CW 155, goal is 140. It's difficult when you put up with fat comments all your life then when you make lifestyle changes the comments continue. They may say it out of concern, It's just that I don't want to hear it!

I totally understand. Again, this is one of the many reasons i choose not to tell people about my journey. Will I one day? After I'm finished and reach goal? Maybe. But then will I constantly be watched to see if I gain a pound back? I plan to work very hard on my weight loss. I'm only 10 days post op. But from reading many comments on here, it appears a big part of the journey is mental. I honestly cannot discuss my process with random people who are not invested in the process on a daily weekly or monthly basis.I know my personality. It would not work for me. It appears I will be a slow loser and I'm so Ok with that. I honestly don't want 30 pounds in a month. 10-12 and I will be very happy. I have never be able to to that on my own.......EVER!!

I've received a few comments on losing too much from family and friends, but there's currently only 2 opinions I really care about...the comments from my wife, and my primary doctor...my wife and I agreed upon my goal weight even before I started the journey, and that hasn't changed at all. My doctor thinks the 'standard scale' is way outdated, so she feels that if I were to use the standard, I would truly be underweight, so she also agreed upon my goal weight. For my height, I should weigh under 164lbs...but my planned goal is 180...I started getting comments once I hit the low 200's, but I knew I wasn't done.

Don't let the comments of others steer you away from what truly matters...what matters most is how YOU feel!!!

Tell them you and your Dr. have decided on a healthy weight, and when you both feel its anybody else's business, you ' ll let them know. In other words , " mind your own beeswax !"

LOL! You just summed up how I have been feeling lately. It seems almost everyone in my circle of co-workers, friends, and family have become WLS experts. My doctor and my NUT both agree that I have lost what I should have (and then some), but they don't think that my goals of loosing more are unrealistic or unhealty. Great topic!

The funny thing is we really do not have as much control as people think. I had RNY and our bodies figure out where they want to be. Mine decided 130-140 is where it is comfortable. People keep saying I am losing weight, but it is the reshaping of my body that is taking place. As we workout we lose inches, and gain muscle.

My sister and niece staged an intervention. I am 5'5" and when I got down to about 155 range they were very concerned. What I realized is that they have only really seen me as overweight over obese so I looked too thin. Also, immediately after rapid weight loss you do tend to have a certain "look" that normalizes out over time.

When I told them my actual weight and that it is healthy for my height there response was "you look about 125 and still losing". They felt better knowing that my doc feels it is a healthy weight etc. and that I weighed more than they thought.

I am about 140 or so right now. I got another round of negative feedback but once again I was just honest... I am not trying to lose more and my weight is still very healthy for my height. A male friend told me I look GREAT right here and to stop because pretty soon my a$$ would completely disappear. (He couldn't help but throw in to try really hard to maintain here and not regain - gee thanks dude). As blunt as he was, he is right. My hips measure 36" and I don't really want a skinnier butt - I like how I look, I like my clothing size. Everyone else is adjusting to my current size and I really don't get razzed about it anymore. Or if I do, it is a compliment - my close girlfriends call me "skinny b*itch" which is a huge compliment after the lifetime of being the hugest woman in the room - and we all know it is a compliment so it's fine!

My advice is to smile and nod, or if it is someone you really care about (like my sis) actually talk to them about it. Find your own happy place and don't be too worried about others - they will get over it. I am finding that people are forgetting now how huge i used to be. I showed a before pic to my own grown sons and they couldn't believe it - they have become used to how I look now.

Listen to your doctor and your body and yourself. Forget everyone else. I still don't understand how people think they have the right to comment on your body? It's yours and yours alone. As long as you are healthy!! I am getting those kind of comments now. I was 384lbs and am now down to 168lbs in 10 months and feeling wonderful. This is my goal weight but if my body choses to lose more who am I to judge it? As long as I am eating healthy. Buuuut noooooooo my inlaws particularly my mother in law who is always telling me I look anorexic and sunken. I just tell them wow I can only imagine what you said behind my back when I was morbidly obese! That seems to shut them up :D

I totally understand. Again, this is one of the many reasons i choose not to tell people about my journey. Will I one day? After I'm finished and reach goal? Maybe. But then will I constantly be watched to see if I gain a pound back? I plan to work very hard on my weight loss. I'm only 10 days post op. But from reading many comments on here, it appears a big part of the journey is mental. I honestly cannot discuss my process with random people who are not invested in the process on a daily weekly or monthly basis.I know my personality. It would not work for me. It appears I will be a slow loser and I'm so Ok with that. I honestly don't want 30 pounds in a month. 10-12 and I will be very happy. I have never be able to to that on my own.......EVER!!

Love this. It's exactly how I feel!