Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again if you knew....?

Hi all ,

I'm a sleeve candidate and I'm struggling with the decision to go ahead. I REALLY want to have the op as I've struggled with weight my whole life but I'm extremely scared that my 'life' will end. (I do love food)

It's a bad place to be I know, but can anyone help with this fear? Does your attitude towards food change over time??? Or will I grieve the loss of a painful but comforting 'friend'?

I appreciate any help or guidance you can give :)

Marie

I had my sleeve in April. Mentally for a couple months you still crave that food that you so love (I did). But, as I've tasted and tried these foods now, I find I no longer like or enjoy them. My taste buds and cravings are surely craving. I no longer like the majority of the bad foods I liked previously and my cravings are going away altogether. I "eat to live" now, not "live to eat". I loved food before. I won't tell you it was really easy the first couple months, but it really isn't bad. I would do my sleeve in a heartbeat again! Good luck in your decision. BTW, my husband is now looking into the sleeve and probably having it in September.

Do it!! Do it, and not look back, food is intended to sustain us, but you will find much more pleasure in so many other new things, a new body, and different outlook! Go go go! Forget the food thoughts!! When you are slimmer and agile and start having a different outlook on fashion and outside fun , believe me food is the last thing you will b worried about. Do it for yourself, your marriage, self image, HEALTHY, and sooo many other great outcomes with weightloss. Been there...done that. Had a Lap band after being g the size of a fridge, then lost 170 pounds, had Tummy Tuck, breast implants...and lots of exercise...I was so much better!! After a decade the band failed n slippage occurred. Had it removed and in one year... "started eating my life away again and packed on 70 pounds, I was terribly overweight again, so I did the sleeve in Tijuana Mexico with a great team and very cost effective result. I'm angry at myself for going back to the food addiction and pleasures it gave me, it did nothing but ruin my body again. Did the sleeve and already planning next year's body reconstruction. Bought a new cruiser bike in Wal-Mart and ready to ride 3 miles daily and get my self back in the saddle and in control of my life, don't give it another middle thought.....go for the surgery and give it all you got! I'm here to support u in any way I can. Mother of two, RN. Orlando FL.

Laura

Laura, you are the support I need as well. I have my surgery on October 27, 2014 in Mexico. I am stuggling with with my love for food and the fear of not being able to stay on the diet required before and after. I have so many question and so many fears. I'm going alone, I live alone, and this will all be on me. I can only take a week off work so I'll be in a rough place, since I work eight hours from home, and dont have access to a fridge, stove or a town to even go to a doctor if things go bad. I'm sorry to jump on the band wagon of someone else who is stuggling with so much, but it seems there are other with fears of loosing what they love the most, instead of what they hate the most FAT!

I think those that are missing the food of the past directly correlates to the same people who are in stubborn stalls and the weight is not coming off. At least that is me that I am speaking of here. I think if I could at least show some success on the scale the motivation to keep on the diet would go along with that weight loss. What is hard is giving up the food, having to struggle to eat 4oz of food in one sitting, having to focus focus focus on Protein, Water, exercise.... And in the end not lose a pound in weeks! I am not giving up and I know this was the right thing to do, but if the weight does not start coming off soon, I will want to hurt someone! My poor hubby better keep a wide berth for a bit. Ha.

jjinWA, I could not politely disagree more with your first sentance. I do NOT miss Twinkies and Pepsi, and Marie Calendars Pot Pies! The stalls are what they are. There are many of us on here who are still strugglng on 600-800 mandated calories. That first sentance almost sounds like it came from a skinny person. You did rescue yourself by saying that maybe it's just you. I know that I too, get discouraged that after passing my halfway mark, things really slowed down in spite of my best efforts. I seriously think that I eat less than my three year old grandaughter.

Still I do not regret my sleeve. I volunteered for it and will pay the cost even if my weight is going down by grams instead of pounds, now. Like you, I too try to hide the grumpy feelings from the fight between my stomach and my taste buds. I don't miss the food as much as flavors. Everthing tastes different now. I told my dear sweet boyfriend that if I get mean, he should sent me back to my daughters. Hang in there kiddo, by reason of the size of our new stomachs and all of our hard work, the pounds HAVE TO come off.

Most of your posts have been so helpful! I am so scared that I will have to become a different person and not in a good way. I just want to remain the fun food loving foodie and winey that I am but I want to know when to stop and not just eat, eat , eat all the time.

I would have this surgery every year for the rest of my life if I needed to. I still enjoy great food, just my concept of what great food is has changed. Sure I can't eat as much as others, so I go slowly and really take in the taste, texture, and aroma of my food instead of just cramming it down. I am actually much more satisfied after a meal now than I was when I could eat ten times as much.

Your relationship with food will change, and for some that is a hard thing to cope with. This is why I whole heartedly recommend therapy before and after your surgery. You are going to mourn the loss of food to some extent, and its so vital you learn to put new coping strategies in place so when the food cannot be your comfort, you have other things to turn to.

Guess I will keep on chugging.... Just like the little train that could..... I think I can, I think I can. Yes, I will get there. God grant me the patience that I need to reach my goal!

I am a complete FOODIE!! I admit it freely but know that now since surgery other things that were not things I would enjoy before have become tasty and I enjoy them now (like ground turkey) You'll enjoy lots of new and healthy foods and you'll love the way you look (although I still see fat girl in the mirror) down about 30 lbs since surgery May 27. Hoping to be slim for Xmas!! Your new pouch makes it easier to resist temptation when you know you need to fit your Protein in rather than Doritos, you CAN and WILL do it.

Thanks Kathy . Good on you! I appreciate your advice :)

I had my sleeve in April. Mentally for a couple months you still crave that food that you so love (I did). But, as I've tasted and tried these foods now, I find I no longer like or enjoy them. My taste buds and cravings are surely craving. I no longer like the majority of the bad foods I liked previously and my cravings are going away altogether. I "eat to live" now, not "live to eat". I loved food before. I won't tell you it was really easy the first couple months, but it really isn't bad. I would do my sleeve in a heartbeat again! Good luck in your decision. BTW, my husband is now looking into the sleeve and probably having it in September.

Thanks so much rodeo mum :) I'm now getting excited :) I haven't had one negative response yet- the odd are looking good. :)

Laura, you are the support I need as well. I have my surgery on October 27, 2014 in Mexico. I am stuggling with with my love for food and the fear of not being able to stay on the diet required before and after. I have so many question and so many fears. I'm going alone, I live alone, and this will all be on me. I can only take a week off work so I'll be in a rough place, since I work eight hours from home, and dont have access to a fridge, stove or a town to even go to a doctor if things go bad. I'm sorry to jump on the band wagon of someone else who is stuggling with so much, but it seems there are other with fears of loosing what they love the most, instead of what they hate the most FAT!

Hey Cody's mum,

No worries jumping in here at all. Good to know I'm not alone - I'm in a similar situation , except I don't work from home but I'm away from family , living in Middle East - I can't have much time off work either - I'm a teacher in a private international school and they're really strict on additional leave. I would like to know from others how quickly you could return to work ??? C.M. - where on wart do you live and what do you do that you don't have access to a fridge or a stove ???? Marie

One year out. And I would do it again.

At a year out you can eat a lot more than you can before that. It is very different than your first six months, or even 8 or 9 months out from surgery. I can eat half of a small entree at a restaurant, which is a reasonable amount of food and enough to satisfy my foodie urges.

However, you must be vigilant because it is easy to gain back. I have my normal days, my bad days, and my ultra good days to make up for my bad days. With the sleeve and my low carb/high fat eating plan, I am not hungry, feel great, and for the first time in my life feel like I can actually keep the weight off for good, thanks to my sleeve. If I get out of control, I just go back to basics with dense Protein first and plenty of Water, and I am back on track in no time.

I would do it again. I do mourn foods, not so much what KINDS of foods I can eat because I CAN eat anything I want. Mostly HOW MUCH OF IT I used to eat and still want to eat is what I mourn. My rule, pretty much, is 'I only need a taste'. And if I am honest with myself, after a bite or two I am done with whatever that was and there is no real impact on my weight.

Definitely!

I would do it again. I do mourn foods, not so much what KINDS of foods I can eat because I CAN eat anything I want. Mostly HOW MUCH OF IT I used to eat and still want to eat is what I mourn. My rule, pretty much, is 'I only need a taste'. And if I am honest with myself, after a bite or two I am done with whatever that was and there is no real impact on my weight.

I also mourn food. The ability to just rip into something awesome and enjoy every bite - gone! But ... I'm happy to be down 40 lbs and still losing! It will get better every day!

I was sleeved 7/28 After watching several friends evolve into thin healthy people who work out everyday, they still go out to dinner with friends, family they just eat less on their plate.

Tonight My family is ordering Chinese for dinner, I'm having miso Soup broth instead, but, I remember clearly that firm salty texture of lomein noodles, I use to sit on the couch with the noodles resting in my chest with my chopsticks expertly in place. I felt I was eating healthy because I ordered chicken and vegetables with that as well. I ate till I was stuffed. Then several hours later I ate again because we all know what happens the Chinese food.

food was heaven but, the weight gain was hell.

Hell on my diabetes, Hell my cholesterol, Hell on my ankles, knees, back and heart. Food was making me feel BAD.

I'm craving food even as I sit here writing about how bad it has hurt me. It's a habit I need to break and like most things will happen in time.

My recommendation is to follow your heart.

Tammy