Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again if you knew....?

I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat!! I am seven months post surgery, down 130 pounds and have reached my initial goal but I am continuing to adhere to the program as there is more to loose. My medical issues are gone and I feel and look better than I have in decades. That being said, the concerns expressed in this thread were my concerns as well in the beginning. I really enjoyed food and the social engagement around food and alcohol. Specifically my biggest issues were volume of food eaten and proper choices. As a result of the sleeve operation I am better equipped, physically and mentally, to deal with food issues now than at other times in my life. The initial post op journey is my commitment to a better me. I want to do it so I can continue to enjoy the things that are important to me and my loved ones. I regularly go to dinner with my wife, attend business dinners and functions and participate in all family outings. The sleeve has changed my life for the better! At seven months post op I can eat anything I want but choose to be on the program. I can still eat a great tuna steak, or cheeseburger, just not all of it. I can still socialize, but need to manage the temptations. For me, it's about choice. The sleeve has helped me physically, limiting the amount food I can eat. The strong will to be successful and stay with the program has helped me manage choices. I think sometime we rely on the physical changes, i.e. sleeve or band, etc, and less on the mental readiness for what is to come. It could very well be the toughest part of the entire change in our bodies.

Thank you , thank you, thank you. Hearing you say this is incredibly powerful for me. I too, enjoy the things you do but WAS really scared that my social 'eating' wold have to stop so it's great to have your response. I am gearing up to be mentally there- I'm currently trying to loose weight myself AGAIN and although I feel I'm in the right mental place to do so I'm struggling- having that construction, I feel, will give me the extra help I need.

Can I ask you one more thing though. Have you had many additional health issues surrounding your sleeve??? This also scares me as I read about Iron infusions, Constipation etc etc

As it is my health is OK - it's just that as I'm getting older my body isn't quite as resilient as it used to be and I'm struggling to do things I would really like to .

Thanks again Macman :)

2.5 years out and the sleeve has saved my life. I am transformed. Look at my profile and signature for pictures and details.

My ONLY regret is not having it done sooner! I am the happiest I have EVERRRR been in the last 30 years of my life!!! I feel TERRRRRIFIC, starting to look great (almost 3 months out -- 45 lbs down!), almost out of the 200's and buying clothes "normal" sizes, not the XXX's sizes!! The BEST part is how i feel -- so energetic, so willing to go go go and just feel awsome and healthy! The love ( or should I call it -- obsession) I had for food is gone, it's not longer my priority, I am super happy with little morsels of my favorite foods from time to time, looking at the scale go down each week is a tremendous high! Timing is everything, I had thought about getting this done for over 10 years and finally something in me clicked last year, started this process and had surgery May 5th -- a day I will forever Celebrate from now on!!! Go For it! It's life-changing! :) Good luck!

Thank you for your encouraging response. Your attitude change towards food and energy level is very encouraging. Thanks :)

I truly needed to hear these responses! I am 4 weeks post op and was feeling all of these emotions, regrets, and actually I don't even like to eat in front of other people now (as weird as that sounds). I am embarrassed because of how little I can eat (2-4 oz.) and I feel like others are focusing on me? So I just eat at home. It is a chore at this point. But reading these posts have helped me understand these feelings and I am looking forward to the future a little bit easier. Thank you for posting!

I'm so glad this has helped you too. I'm also sorry your in the 'pain' you're in but it definitely sounds like there's a very bright light at the end of this long tunnel and I hope you'll be there soon- keep going - The support of others on here is amazing -use their strength and assistance to stay positive. Thanks for posting and I'm sure that when I am in the place that you are now, which I must add, seems to happen to most, I will call out for help and you will look back and realize how far you've come. :)

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to my thread. Your positive but REAL experiences, have definitely helped me make my decision to go ahead with surgery. You're an amazing and strong group of people and your support of each other is amazing.

Can I ask one more thing though?

How is your overall health?

Thanks again for sharing your personal journeys with me :)

I think you have to be open to the journey. It's not easy to give up that "best friend" who has not really been the friend we thought. At nearly seven months out, I do enjoy food - it just doesn't control me anymore. I no longer think about it all the time. There are (infrequent) times when I miss not being able to eat a big meal of something I enjoy (for me, that would be a big plate of Mexican food), but I appreciate the taste, still, and am glad that my sleeve and I are working together to keep me from eating more. I like having control over my choices and I really like how I look. I like being able to do things with my grown children without being left behind. I especially like that I have reduced risk of stroke and dementia, which run in my family.

Hi Texas Meg . Can I start by saying you look amazing in your photo - very inspirational :)

Thank you for sharing this. It seems that you too, are a little older, which is reassuring as I am concerned with my bodies ability to 'cope' .

Thanks again :)

I would do it again, hands down. My life is exponentially better at this weight than it was at over 300 pounds. I loved food, and I love to eat, and everything I did centered around it. I always knew that, but it really became evident after my surgery. I have a much different perspective on this now that I'm 19 months out, and it has evolved over time. In the early days post op, eating was a CHORE. I couldn't believe that! I actually loved it. As time went by, eating became enjoyable again. Now I enjoy food again - too much. I can eat PLENTY. Certainly not like I used to, but I can eat like a normal person. My perception of normal has changed, and now I think it's actually correct, as opposed to the inflated idea of normal before surgery. I actually wish I felt a little more like I did in the early days. I wish a few bites could fill me up. I wish eating was more of a chore some days. Now its ALL me. I have to count calories and really work at this, or I'll eat my way right back up to 300 pounds. So, unless a person comes to the realization only they can make the needed changes for themselves, the surgery will be a partial, temporary fix, at best. I do think the surgery was the best thing for me, and I would do it again, but I caution people to really think about whether or not they WANT to make those changes. You probably will grieve the change in your life, but only you know if that's something you can handle. If you think you can't or are not willing to make that change, it might not be worth it. If you are willing to accept the "loss" and work through your issues, then it's a great choice. I could not have done this without the sleeve.

Thanks! I HEAR what your saying and I believe that I too need the sleeve as a 'tool' it sounds like you didn't struggle too much in the beginning . Is that right? You look amazing though - thank you :)

2.5 years out and the sleeve has saved my life. I am transformed. Look at my profile and signature for pictures and details.

Thanks jane - currently in 3G and can't seem to look at profile - thanks for the encouragement :)

Every day I eat great food. Just in the smaller amounts that Miss Tummy can process. And I am here to tell you that potato chips and Twinkies do not qualify as great food. Tonight for dinner I had 1 1/2 oz of chicken grilled outdoors, 1/3 cup fresh broccoli with cheese, and four cucumber slices that came from our own garden produce.

Wednesday night I had 2 oz. grilled steak and a few fresh greens Beans prepared from our garden produce and 1/2 plum Tomato.< /p>

For lunch today, I had 1/3 cup of homemade chili with 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese.< /p>

If I want a turkey sandwich, I will take a leaf of endive or lettuce, I will put mayo on there, but just enough to say I did, add 1 1/2 ounces of sliced turkey, and 1/2 ounce of Swiss cheese, and a thin slice of tomato. Roll it up and ta da, a turkey roll-up that tastes just fine.

My boyfriend is the cook in this home because he is so much better at it than I am. (He cooks, I clean up. Compromise - fair enough deal) He respects my restrictions and adapts his recipes to what I need. For example, he makes Breakfast omelet quiches. He eats the crust, and I don't.

There is nothing that I eat that I do not want to eat. I just don't eat it in addition to the manufactured crap I used to. We eat well, but we just modify quantities and content to meet the requirements of my program. Less food does not have to mean worse food.

As a matter of fact, many of us since having the surgery and eating more nutritiously are dropping meds as well as pounds, and coming off of diabetic medications as well. I just got blood work results yesterday, and I found out that I am no longer pre-diabetic. All of my values were in the normal range.

Yeah, the surgery may cramp your style for a while, but your body and it's internal systems will thank you right away.

Every day I eat great food. Just in the smaller amounts that Miss Tummy can process. And I am here to tell you that potato chips and Twinkies do not qualify as great food. Tonight for dinner I had 1 1/2 oz of chicken grilled outdoors, 1/3 cup fresh broccoli with cheese, and four cucumber slices that came from our own garden produce. Wednesday night I had 2 oz. grilled steak and a few fresh greens Beans prepared from our garden produce and 1/2 plum Tomato. For lunch today, I had 1/3 cup of homemade chili with 1/2 ounce of cheddar cheese. If I want a turkey sandwich, I will take a leaf of endive or lettuce, I will put mayo on there, but just enough to say I did, add 1 1/2 ounces of sliced turkey, and 1/2 ounce of Swiss cheese, and a thin slice of tomato. Roll it up and ta da, a turkey roll-up that tastes just fine. My boyfriend is the cook in this home because he is so much better at it than I am. (He cooks, I clean up. Compromise - fair enough deal) He respects my restrictions and adapts his recipes to what I need. For example, he makes Breakfast omelet quiches. He eats the crust, and I don't. There is nothing that I eat that I do not want to eat. I just don't eat it in addition to the manufactured crap I used to. We eat well, but we just modify quantities and content to meet the requirements of my program. Less food does not have to mean worse food. As a matter of fact, many of us since having the surgery and eating more nutritiously are dropping meds as well as pounds, and coming off of diabetic medications as well. I just got blood work results yesterday, and I found out that I am no longer pre-diabetic. All of my values were in the normal range. Yeah, the surgery may cramp your style for a while, but your body and it's internal systems will thank you right away.

Thanks MM. It sounds perfect (especially the BF in the kitchen bit) the thing is I already eat really well - just too much and with extras - an ice cream one day a handful of nuts another, a packet of chips etc etc - I'm NOT a glutton - just eat way too much for me . What I'm trying to say I suppose is that I do enjoy good food and that is really great to hear that I still can - so is it starches (bread, biscuits, Pasta, rice etc) that won't go down well and 'clog' the sleeve?

Thanks again, regards, Marie :)

I had my surgery on July 7th and I do not regret it at all. It's harder some days then others but I didn't expect it to be a walk in the park.. I think the thing that helped me the most is this site and my aunt who had the surgery 2 years ago.. Being able to have someone in your life who has gone through what you're going through is a huge help. It's almost 3 weeks and I'm down 31 pounds. Without the sleeve this would never have been possible! Only you will be able to make this decision because it's a big life changing thing! But either way good luck!

I have no regrets and would do it again in a heart beat!! I am seven months post surgery, down 130 pounds and have reached my initial goal but I am continuing to adhere to the program as there is more to loose. My medical issues are gone and I feel and look better than I have in decades. That being said, the concerns expressed in this thread were my concerns as well in the beginning. I really enjoyed food and the social engagement around food and alcohol. Specifically my biggest issues were volume of food eaten and proper choices. As a result of the sleeve operation I am better equipped, physically and mentally, to deal with food issues now than at other times in my life. The initial post op journey is my commitment to a better me. I want to do it so I can continue to enjoy the things that are important to me and my loved ones. I regularly go to dinner with my wife, attend business dinners and functions and participate in all family outings. The sleeve has changed my life for the better! At seven months post op I can eat anything I want but choose to be on the program. I can still eat a great tuna steak, or cheeseburger, just not all of it. I can still socialize, but need to manage the temptations. For me, it's about choice. The sleeve has helped me physically, limiting the amount food I can eat. The strong will to be successful and stay with the program has helped me manage choices. I think sometime we rely on the physical changes, i.e. sleeve or band, etc, and less on the mental readiness for what is to come. It could very well be the toughest part of the entire change in our bodies.

Thank you , thank you, thank you. Hearing you say this is incredibly powerful for me. I too, enjoy the things you do but WAS really scared that my social 'eating' wold have to stop so it's great to have your response. I am gearing up to be mentally there- I'm currently trying to loose weight myself AGAIN and although I feel I'm in the right mental place to do so I'm struggling- having that construction, I feel, will give me the extra help I need.

Can I ask you one more thing though. Have you had many additional health issues surrounding your sleeve??? This also scares me as I read about Iron infusions, Constipation etc etc

As it is my health is OK - it's just that as I'm getting older my body isn't quite as resilient as it used to be and I'm struggling to do things I would really like to .

Hello MarieI was 57 years old when I started this process a year ago. I had serious doubts about doing something like this later in life. But the driver for me was my family. I wanted to be around for the first grandchild and have a better quality of life as I got older.I did have a major complication as a result of surgery. I developed a blood clot that ended up as a pulmonary embolism. I had no risk factors so doctors wee quite surprised that it developed. Luckily I got to a hospital quickly and they were able to treat it effectively, although I did spend a week in Cardiac ICU. The recovery plan fit with a need to exercise after the sleeve operation. I did a lot of cardio work which benefitted me greatly.Today my health is excellent. I keep asking myself, "who is that guy in the mirror?" I feel better, I am more active than ever and exercise regularly. I still have a couple ruptured discs in my lower back, but the 130 pounds lost have helped immensely. I no longer take blood pressure medication or have sleep apnea.I've had no issues with the sleeve since surgery. I had the normal constipation issues immediately after surgery, but they passed quickly. The only thing I have had a problem with is red wine. It doesn't agree with my stomach at all. Jokingly, the surgeon suggested I try a pinot noir instead of a Cabernet.Seriously though, the first 8-12 weeks are something everyone has to work through. The body has been through major surgery and needs to recover. And we need to adapt to a new lifestyle. I think that the progression from liquid to pureed or soft foods to full menu is something the sleeve needs after surgery, but so does our psyche.It can be difficult for people to get through the initial few weeks but I always looked at it as the price I had to pay to ge where I wanted to be.

I had my surgery on July 7th and I do not regret it at all. It's harder some days then others but I didn't expect it to be a walk in the park.. I think the thing that helped me the most is this site and my aunt who had the surgery 2 years ago.. Being able to have someone in your life who has gone through what you're going through is a huge help. It's almost 3 weeks and I'm down 31 pounds. Without the sleeve this would never have been possible! Only you will be able to make this decision because it's a big life changing thing! But either way good luck!

Thanks Alyssa. I appreciate your response. How lovely for you to have your aunt there. It's been great hearing everyone's responses - really encouraging. I've decided I will do it which is a great place to be - now I have the hard yards ahead but I'm feeling positive. Thank you. And all the best to you too :)

I went into this hoping my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner...that is so true. I'm almost 9 months out and I have a great life. I'm not at goal weight (have 25-30 more pounds to go) and I've been a slow loser compared to some. I've had really great days and I've had really crappy days during this process. It's hard work - this is not the easy way out. I've worked my a$$ off at the gym to get where I am today. I've had days where mentally I wondered if this was the right thing to do. I can unequivocally say - NO REGRETS!

My suggestion is to get your head straight before surgery - I was not prepared for the emotional part of this process. I researched enough about the procedure itself that I probably could have assisted the surgeon. I had to address my emotional eating issues while recovering and not able to eat. It's hard.

This surgery is a life changer - life saver! It has changed my relationship with my husband and son. I'm more active. I feel better. I have tons more energy. I'm more productive in my life. I feel good about myself - something that hasn't happened in DECADES.

Edited by McButterpants

Hello MarieI was 57 years old when I started this process a year ago. I had serious doubts about doing something like this later in life. But the driver for me was my family. I wanted to be around for the first grandchild and have a better quality of life as I got older.I did have a major complication as a result of surgery. I developed a blood clot that ended up as a pulmonary embolism. I had no risk factors so doctors wee quite surprised that it developed. Luckily I got to a hospital quickly and they were able to treat it effectively, although I did spend a week in Cardiac ICU. The recovery plan fit with a need to exercise after the sleeve operation. I did a lot of cardio work which benefitted me greatly.Today my health is excellent. I keep asking myself, "who is that guy in the mirror?" I feel better, I am more active than ever and exercise regularly. I still have a couple ruptured discs in my lower back, but the 130 pounds lost have helped immensely. I no longer take blood pressure medication or have sleep apnea.I've had no issues with the sleeve since surgery. I had the normal constipation issues immediately after surgery, but they passed quickly. The only thing I have had a problem with is red wine. It doesn't agree with my stomach at all. Jokingly, the surgeon suggested I try a pinot noir instead of a Cabernet.Seriously though, the first 8-12 weeks are something everyone has to work through. The body has been through major surgery and needs to recover. And we need to adapt to a new lifestyle. I think that the progression from liquid to pureed or soft foods to full menu is something the sleeve needs after surgery, but so does our psyche.It can be difficult for people to get through the initial few weeks but I always looked at it as the price I had to pay to ge where I wanted to be.
Thanks so much again for such detailed information about your journey- the blood clot scares me terribly as I am a single mum, currently living in the Middle East for work, far away from my family in Australia, I have great friends and supports here but it's not the same as your family is it? How did you notice the clot? I fly a bit and the whole blood clot thing , exacerbated by weight I'm sure , scares me greatly. I know that your susceptible with any surgery but .... Did your body struggle with the huge difference in calorie intake- I've been trying to cut down and do one shake a day leading up to the 'pre-op diet' but I feel hypoglycemic -shaky , light headed etc just from one substituted meal - scared even at the prospect of 2 weeks with only liquids - maybe I'm pre-diabetic - not sure :( Thanks again, Kind regards :)