Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got the insurance to approve the surgery, got the appt for the bariatric center and the last pre op appt with the doctor scheduled. Then tonight after being on my diet for about 5 weeks ( I started early so just in case I got approved quickly I would be ready) I ate a piece of cake. My surgery was supposed to be Aug 1st. Could not stop my craving and gave in. My dr pre op diet is the sugar buster diet which basically is no bread, no sugar, good carbs only and lean Protein. As I ate the cake tonight, my nerves just seemed to calm down. I needed that because I am giving a rather large party at my house this weekend. Anyway, tomorrow I am going to call the dr.s office and cancel everything. I don't think I can do this/ I cannot even make it thru the pre op diet. What a failure. I am so sorry..really.

I'm sorry that you are struggling. It sounds like you need to look at additional help for coping with stress. The craving for cake and the relief thereafter sounds like a serotonin deficiency. Don't give up. Seek additional tools and then try again!

Give it another try over the next week. The reason we all need surgeries (I did not notice which one you chose), is because we need help. It is very important to stay on pre-op and after-op diets -- even more so on the after-op. Only you know if you need some type of therapy before the operation, and if so, maybe you should postpone until you feel more in control. But the surgeries themselves do help give you that control, too. It would be a shame to go through all the surgery and not be able to stick with it, but my experience was that it became much, much easier to do after the operation. Perhaps talk to your surgeon and his team and let them know what happened ... They have probably heard similar before. Until then, gather yourself, do not go on a binge, and think this through!

Got the insurance to approve the surgery, got the appt for the bariatric center and the last pre op appt with the doctor scheduled. Then tonight .... I ate a piece of cake. ..... What a failure.

Failure because you ate a piece of cake?!?!?!?!? C'mon now, you can't really be serious.....you're going to call and cancel your surgery because you ate a piece of cake?

I'm almost 5 years post op....I eat cake! NORMAL people eat cake.

The whole preop, tests, appointments, etc, etc ARE stressful. I don't know you or your age, but if you're like me, we've been turning to stress relievers (such as that piece of cake) for many years. And it took us to a place in our life we didn't/don't like.... Therefore, we made the decision to change it. But that change doesn't happen overnight. There will be slipups....we're human. I've had many along the last 5 years...but I'm in such a much better place today because of my WLS.

It's certainly your decision, but please don't think one piece of cake is reason to throw everything you've worked for away.....Best wishes!

ETA...almost 5 years. I ate ICE CREAM after the pic on the right...

post-56581-0-58116800-1406176776_thumb.jpg

Edited by catfish87

Please stay with it. We all trip up here and there. These are things that I bet all of us have struggled with. One mis - step is not going to make or break the whole deal. Pick yourself up and try again. Don't give up, you can do this! I believe in you! Your doc will not rip up your paperwork for a slip. You're human, just let you doc know and you will be fine.

A piece of cake is not worth throwing in the towel.

Don't give up on your WLS plan for it. If everyone that slipped up quit, there would not be enough people on this website to even know it existed.

It wasn't the best choice and you have to ask yourself why you did it and learn to handle that (emotion?) (was it stress?) in a different way. food comforts us in many ways. Most of us are going through it. The withdrawals suck but are a part of it.

Seriously, take a breath and realize one piece of cake was not on the plan but don't punish yourself so harshly. Kind of like giving yourself the death penalty for a parking ticket. This is your life and your lesson to get through.

Get yourself back together and next time go for sugar free pudding or something but keep trying.

Don't quit on yourself.

Hugs and support,

Colleen

Really ? A piece of cake ? Who did'nt cheat on their pre op diet ? Good grief, get a hold of yourself !! How far do you think you're going to get in anything if you give up so easily ? My Dr. said 95 % of the time, eat healthy ! The other 5 % ? ! dont worry about it! Good advice ! You should consider it! Good luck !

Sorrry you are struggling. You can not give up. Weight loss is dependent upon so many different factors so it is hard to come on this forum and compare our weight loss with the next person. All we can do it do the best we can every day. When we do the best we can to follow the rules then we are working it in the right direction. There will be bad days, but many more good days to come. Be determined. Be committed to this process. Commit to following the rules and the weight will peel off of us!!! We are powerful people with an almost magic like band. We have all the tools we just have to utilize the tools or we can't be bumped we are not losing weight. It is easy for me to get discouraged when I read of all these people losing vast amounts of weight in short amounts of time. If I compare my journey to others it will zap my motivation. I am happy with 2 pounds per week. I know that means it will take a long time for me to get to my goal weight but I am patience with this process. Going forward at a slow pace but happy with the fact the weight is still coming off and I am not in the green zone. I ignore al lot of real hunger to stretch out my daily a lot of calories. I do this so I can have a snack before I go to bed which yeps me fall asleep.

You're right...with that attitude you won't make it....

If I was so perfect, then why in the world would I need or want surgery?

I had surgery because I could not stop the hunger, the cravings, and the non stop eating.....

Pre-op diet? What a joke...I don't know why your Dr. wants you to do it...mine did not. It was the insurance co, that wanted it just for the record, I did at least attempt a medically supervised diet, in other words for the record I explored and tried all possible avenues to loose weight, AND FAILED....THEREFORE surgery was my only and last resort.

BTW, I had to do a 6 month pre-op diet, and just like any one of the 100's of diets I attempted, it started out well for the first 3-4 months, then I started to cheat, and finally started to gain all the weight back. Very typical for me, and they should have not expected anything different..........

But again, that was my Dr. and my Insurance co.'s approach...everyone should follow their Dr.'s orders....not mine.

It was the 2 week diet before surgery I stuck out because at that point nothing was going to prevent me from this surgery.

Cake?? I had a fantastic piece of carrot cake just a few nights ago...and generally get some kind of dessert when we go out to eat.

And I by no means consider myself a failure...I have lost every possible pound I can without loosing essential body mass - muscle....and I still enjoy life, and food....just not nearly as much food as before....and I get my daily Protein, Water, Vitamins and exercise.

People look at this surgery in many different ways....to me, I am not on a diet....yet many people here on this forum look at it that way, and carry over the same attitudes and apply the little gimmicks and motivational quotes, etc.

Sometimes, if I did not know any better I would think this was a Jenny Craig website and not a Bariatric Surgery website.

Like catfish87 said, NORMAL people eat cake....and I am NORMAL!!! It is the NEW NORMAL, but I eat what I want, when I want.

Hang in there, and hopefully after a few months or a year after surgery, you will begin to "Get It"...I know it took me a while, but I finally did and it has been HEAVEN ever since. Complete freedom from all that other nonsense other people go through 365 days a year.

Edited by B-52

I sure do appreciate y'all and all the words of wisdom. I did not binge I only ate the one piece of cake. I am thankful for that much. I learned a lot when I ate that cake. I had never thought that food could make you feel so good. I will watch for that stress and deal with it another way. I am going to call the dr and tell them I had a slip up and just continue on with the surgery if they say it is okay. I really need to do this for myself and my health.

Thanks again. This forum is the bomb!

Traci

Ok, then I should have given up too! I was banded 12/38/2012! 3 days after Christmas! It was hard with all the parties and festivities around me! Did I cheat during my pre-op diet? You bet your sweet bibby I did! I was careful but I did cheat! Did I want to give up? I thought about it because everyone kept telling me they were going to start their diets on Jan 1st! I was saying that my whole lifetime! So, I stuck to my guns with an occasional cheat here and there and I still had my surgery on 12/28! Best decision I ever made! Otherwise I would have been on the same cycle, I'll start my diet after the holidays, I'll start it tomorrow, I'll start it next week or I'll start on Monday! Sound familiar? Please don't give up because you had one slip up! We all slip! Deep the faith and keep that appointment. Good luck to you!

My surgery is scheduled for the 30th, so I'm about as far into this as you are. My son's birthday is today, and we have a party planned for Saturday .. WITH CAKE .... and everyone is cancelling on us last minute. So, we have this HUGE cake that I'm not allowed to touch but will be tempting me. Yes, I'm going to WANT that cake. I can also probably have a small piece if I trade in my allowed starch and fat for it. But I'm not going to quit over it.

Like you, I started my own version of the pre-op diet before they actually put me on it. Like you, I'm craving ALL THE THINGS that I can't have. Last weekend, my husband and son even asked me to pick up KFC for them on my way home from the store ... and I almost lost it. BUT. I know what I want at the end of all of this. I know that yes, I'll slip up. But I'm not about to give up. Don't you give up either. You can do this.

I called the Dr and confessed. No problem just stay the course was the answer. Just like everyone on here told me so that is what I am doing. August 1st is the day. Thanks so much for the kind words and encouragement.

Traci

Good luck. Just keep going and trying. Lots of us have just put one good day next to another and another. Yes occasionally. Cocktails or a desert sidetrack THAT DAY. But then it seems to me easier to get back to putting good days together again

I could have lost. But never Maintained!!! My weight loss for 7 1/2 years without a tiny piece of

Equipment in my stomach entry. I mostly appreciate NOT being hungry except when needed

Keep going. Keep us posted