Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you slime/pb?

General question, since my last fill to 6cc in a 10cc band I have found myself sliming and sometimes bringing back up the food in the pouch (is this a pb?) to alleviate all the slime. It's happened 2 time in the last week. Afterwards I am fine, no pain, can eat foods inc hard Protein when chewed well with no issue. Obviously I don't want to have slipped. I have an appointment next week for a fluoroscopy to check everything is fine. However I am curious how often, if at all, this happens for others? Has my band slipped, or am I just rushing it? Personally, the times it's happened was once on bread and second on chicken. Both if which I have now eliminated from my diet to avoid it happening again.

I am assuming you'd seriously know about it if your band had truly slipped? I still feel restriction, am still losing too. The surgeon isn't too worried.

Does this happen a lot for others? Thanks in advance x

PB is burping, not regurgitation (sorry to be gross... but we've all experienced it.)

If I were having your problem, I'd try a few things. First, if there are specific foods that are causing more problems than others, I'd avoid them for a while.

Next, try slowing down when eating. Take a forkful, chew slowly (thirty times) and leave your fork on the table for 30 seconds. If you can feel the food sitting on top of the band, do not continue to eat until it passes through, or you will slime! If this keeps up, I'd call your doctor's office for consultation. The band takes a bit to settle in after a fill, but it should settle in! Make sure your Fluid intake is adequate--you don't want to end up dehydrated and in ER.

Great issue to be discussed!

My experience is generally related to 1 of 2 major causes.

1) "Errors of eating" which is the 'too much/too fast/too dry/fibrous/unchewed' variety. It is remedied by the advice "If you can feel the food sitting on top of the band, do not continue to eat until it passes through, or you will slime! "

Awareness of what your last bite of food is doing MUST be monitored until the habits of a lifetime can be reprogrammed.

2) "Band too tight" I've had numerous episodes where just the tiniest increase in fill has produced DAILY PBs over actual months, until I tracked down the cause. I've had perhaps 3 MAJOR 'OMG--something is WRONG' episodes. They've produces lengthy expensive exams/imaging studies, all of which were followed by decrease in my fill which yielded immediate relief.

I've suffered anxiety from 'slippage phobia' and 'what horrid disease NOW' in the art and science of learning to live the Bandster Balanced Lifestyle.

I have the antique 4cc Band, which typically tolerates about 1.7 MAX fill before PB symptoms become excessive.

Taking out .1 or .2cc gives relief.

Repeated imaging shows proper Band placements over the past nearly 10 years.

The Dance is to learn how to eat without inflicting unnecessary physiological problems. I believe whatever factors led to my becoming one of the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese, continues to periodically override my continual reprogramming efforts.

It is fortunate to have the benefits of the Band, as even with the annoyances I've encountered, Bandster Life is far better than my preOp life.

Personally, I think it's me not eating right. If it was a proper slip, I am sure I would have pain regardless and I don't. I guess I'll find out at the fluoroscopy next week.

Really need to spend my time when I eat thinking and going right back to the basics.

Does the sliming happen much for you, or have you mastered it now?

Personally, I think it's me not eating right. If it was a proper slip, I am sure I would have pain regardless and I don't. I guess I'll find out at the fluoroscopy next week. Really need to spend my time when I eat thinking and going right back to the basics. Does the sliming happen much for you, or have you mastered it now?

The sliming happens to me when I don't pay attention. There's an app called "eat slower". That helps you slow down. Lay your eating utensil down between bites; vision each bite taking 2-4 squeezes from the esophagus to get completely through; stop at 20 minutes; use sauces or whatever to keep meats from being too dry. It does take a lot of practice and even after you learn it, frequent reminding.

Everyone's advice here is excellent! I just got a good fill a couple weeks ago and I am still re-learning (after an unfill and a pregnancy) to eat smaller bites/slower/less in terms of portion size. I would say I get stuck/slime once every 2-3 days. I have a hard time paying attention to how big my bites are and how quickly I eat. I have a 14 month old now so eating isn't always something I can concentrate on! I'm always more concerned about him eating than myself!

I notice that I'm more likely to have problems if I'm distracted

I find if I'm chewing for a really long time and sort of straining the food through my teeth rather than swallowing it (sorry for the too sensitive info), that is my body telling me I'm done. Don't swallow, don't have more. Done. We are all different and have our own signals -- trick is finding your own. Sliming is so personal. I only do it just prior to a major episode. If the slime comes I know I'm in for it. But I think for some a small amount of slime can be an indicator. A stop sign?