Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freakin' Fecal Test - Warning, Rant Ahead

Is it just an FOBT (fecal occult blood test) or something else? If you are old enough to have had a Pap smear, I hate to break it to you, but you've already had one of those. It's done while your doctor or practitioner is palpating (feeling your abdomen for unusual masses) and they stick a gloved, lubricated finger up your @ss. Happens to every female. That finger is then smeared on top of the FOBT card and it's sent off to the lab. If that is not the test you are speaking of, it's highly unusual that they want to do anything more than that......unless something else is going on and they want to rule everything out. Best wishes to you.

LOL - I would know if someone stuck a finger in my "@ss", which feels very different from having a speculum placed into the female orifice. I don't know about other women, but I have never had my gyn do that during a pelvic exam.

My husband said they do that to men when they check for the prostate, so that might be what you are referring to.

Edited by HaddocksEyes

What's the big deal? I mean that not to be flip, but with all sincerity. You are willing to have half of your stomach cut out but not willing to donate a bit of poo to make sure you are healthy?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's worth it. I'd let the doc give me the jelly finger once a week if I had to to feel as good as I do 106 pounds lighter than I was a year ago. Fo' sho'!

LOL! True, but everyone has their achilles heel, and this is mine. Not going to do it.

I'm with Lipstick Lady on this one.

So what?

It could save your life.

Woman-up, Sista. There are worse things in life than having to smear a bit of poop on a piece of cardboard, a finger or camera tube, close to the dimensions of a Ford F-150XLT shoved up your jaxsie if it saves your life.

If it's required, it is the gateway to you getting your surgery. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I think something you may or may not have not thought of is that people have traumatic experiences in their lives which makes them reluctant or unable to go through certain things. It's not just about "womaning-up", it's about dealing with the psychological affect of going through a procedure that makes you feel vunerable and not in control of your own body. For some, that is incomprehensible.

Other women may take issue with the requirement that you get a pelvic exam because that is traumatic to them. I know of a woman in her 20's that flatly refused to have this done and the doctor let it go because at her age, the liklihood of cancer is low.

Obesity is such a complex condition, and we all know that the mental part of it plays such a huge part of why we are obese. This is part of that mental condition. Rationally, we know that there are things we need to do in order to be healthy. Emotionally, we derail the rational part. And as I said, the rational part of me battles with the emotional side of me. Unfortunately, the emotional side of me has won far too many times than the rational when it has come to my weight loss struggle.

So, I appreciate the responses but at the end of the day, this is a complex issue that I will have to continue to deal with and eventually overcome if i want to ensure good health. Many of us are in the same boat with the whole emotional vs. rational struggle (of any type or situation), which is why I posted what I did.

Is it just an FOBT (fecal occult blood test) or something else? If you are old enough to have had a Pap smear, I hate to break it to you, but you've already had one of those. It's done while your doctor or practitioner is palpating (feeling your abdomen for unusual masses) and they stick a gloved, lubricated finger up your @ss. Happens to every female. That finger is then smeared on top of the FOBT card and it's sent off to the lab. If that is not the test you are speaking of, it's highly unusual that they want to do anything more than that......unless something else is going on and they want to rule everything out. Best wishes to you.

Whoa you get this done at every pap test? I've never had that done, thank god!

You might want to try a different doctor if yours is sticking their finger up your butt everytime they do an exam. I've never had this done during a pap.

I had my first colonoscopy 4 months ago. Found some blood in my stool and I stopped having solid stools. Just soft. The week I was to have it done I was feeling better and almost canceled. I'm glad I did not. I had 39 polyps. Doc said I was about 2 years away from some serious crap! I'm only 37. I thought I had an ulcer. And now I am on the 6 month cycle. Two good things came of this. I feel better plus I met my out of pocket max for the year and if I can get bariatric surgery done before jan 1 it's free!

What's the big deal? I mean that not to be flip, but with all sincerity. You are willing to have half of your stomach cut out but not willing to donate a bit of poo to make sure you are healthy?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's worth it. I'd let the doc give me the jelly finger once a week if I had to to feel as good as I do 106 pounds lighter than I was a year ago. Fo' sho'!

Off topic - I almost forgot to mention I love your honest and funny posts! I've had a good chuckle at quite a few of your humorous (but true!) observations about life with a GS. :)

I had my first colonoscopy 4 months ago. Found some blood in my stool and I stopped having solid stools. Just soft. The week I was to have it done I was feeling better and almost canceled. I'm glad I did not. I had 39 polyps. Doc said I was about 2 years away from some serious crap! I'm only 37. I thought I had an ulcer. And now I am on the 6 month cycle. Two good things came of this. I feel better plus I met my out of pocket max for the year and if I can get bariatric surgery done before jan 1 it's free!

Wow, 39 polyps - I take it that none of them were cancerous? You have a good point that you found this out early and that you will have regular screenings for them. I think the age they start ordering colonoscopies as part of a checkup is mid to late 50's? Had you of waited, who knows what would have happened.

I hope the surgery ends up being free for you. Good luck!

My first dr.s appt is in 10 minutes do I will see how it goes. But getting a colonoscopy is really easy. Change into the hospital gown. Lay on the bed. Get an iv. Say hi to the doc. And sleep. There was no awkwardness of positioning or anything. Very professional. The worst part is the prep. I'm sure just like bariatric surgery

I'm sorry if this is off the original topic. The occult blood is very non invasive screen and worth it.

I think something you may or may not have not thought of is that people have traumatic experiences in their lives which makes them reluctant or unable to go through certain things. It's not just about "womaning-up", it's about dealing with the psychological affect of going through a procedure that makes you feel vunerable and not in control of your own body. For some, that is incomprehensible.

I'm with Lipstick Lady on this one.

So what?

It could save your life.

Woman-up, Sista. There are worse things in life than having to smear a bit of poop on a piece of cardboard, a finger or camera tube, close to the dimensions of a Ford F-150XLT shoved up your jaxsie if it saves your life.

If it's required, it is the gateway to you getting your surgery. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Other women may take issue with the requirement that you get a pelvic exam because that is traumatic to them. I know of a woman in her 20's that flatly refused to have this done and the doctor let it go because at her age, the liklihood of cancer is low.

Obesity is such a complex condition, and we all know that the mental part of it plays such a huge part of why we are obese. This is part of that mental condition. Rationally, we know that there are things we need to do in order to be healthy. Emotionally, we derail the rational part. And as I said, the rational part of me battles with the emotional side of me. Unfortunately, the emotional side of me has won far too many times than the rational when it has come to my weight loss struggle.

So, I appreciate the responses but at the end of the day, this is a complex issue that I will have to continue to deal with and eventually overcome if i want to ensure good health. Many of us are in the same boat with the whole emotional vs. rational struggle (of any type or situation), which is why I posted what I did.

I empathize with you. But what have you decided to do about your surgery? have you decided not to continue with the process?

@beachgurl84

My OB/GYN always does the quick finger exam... every one of them I've ever seen did. So it's not abnormal or anything... maybe some doctors don't do it but a lot do.

Edited by Ginger Snaps

Ok, folks. For those of you reluctant to follow through with a FOBT or colonoscopy, try having a fecal transplant! That's right, I had to have someone else's s*** t injected into my ileum and cecum in order to get rid of a bad Clostridial infection. It was done via colonoscopy and the worst part, by far, was the prep. Worst tasting stuff ever and not fun trying to chug a gallon of Water in an hour only 3 months postop. But the transplant worked like a charm...no more diarrhea. And now me my doctor's wife and I are BFF's (best feces friends).

Oh, and as for the OB/Gyn thing, gotta say I never had a finger in my butt for that. I have abnormal Paps so I get them 2-3 times/year, along with LEEPS and biopsies. 3 different docs, no finger :)

Edited by Kindle

It a good thing to be done to make sure as healthy as can be before your surgery. Colon cancer runs directly in my family and I've already had cancer once so when I'm 40 and they'd like to do my first colonoscopy, I'm game. They're right, prevention is worth it :-)

@@beachgurl84 Nope! No need for me to get a different doctor. That's actually a standard procedure done with a Pap smear, unless you're really young (teens, early 20s). If your practitioner is not performing a FOBT at your Pap appointment, you aren't getting a complete physical exam, and perhaps YOU may want to find a different doctor.

@@HaddocksEyes, your explanation is very heart felt and I totally get it. Wishing you nothing but the best in whatever journey you end up taking.

@@Ginger Snaps, exactly! Colonoscopies are not done until we're much older; when there are symptoms presenting that warrant the scope, or diseases such as Crohns, IBS, or Diverticulitis. The only early screening method available is that slip of the finger to do a FOBT. If you are not a teenager or person in your early 20s, that is supposed to be a part of your Pap exam. Any practitioner (and it sounds like there are plenty) that doesn't do this as part of your exam is doing you a disservice and decreases early detection of a potential problem. But hey, what do I know. I just live for that every 2 year slip of the finger! Lol!

@@beachgurl84 Nope! No need for me to get a different doctor. That's actually a standard procedure done with a Pap smear, unless you're really young (teens, early 20s). If your practitioner is not performing a FOBT at your Pap appointment, you aren't getting a complete physical exam, and perhaps YOU may want to find a different doctor.

@@HaddocksEyes, your explanation is very heart felt and I totally get it. Wishing you nothing but the best in whatever journey you end up taking.

Actually that's not exactly true. I'm a coder so I see ALOT of well woman exams and I've never coded a FOBT with it. It's not in the requirements either.