Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've never had any problems with my gallbladder (to my knowledge) but I've been considering asking the surgeon to just remove it when I'm being sleeved. Has anyone done this or thought about it?

If your surgeon will remove it during surgery I would request it, Mine was the worst pain I have ever been in when it went bad, and I have had 2 children. it feels like a heart attack, no position you get in will be comfortable it's really scary, However, they do give you medication after surgery that is supposed to help make sure that your gall bladder is ok after surgery so I don't know if they will go in and remove it if there is nothing wrong with it at this point. it's worth asking though!

I got my surgery at OCC. They have the option you can remove it for 500. Extra.

I just didn't have the extra $$ at the time.

I wish id taken advantage of some of the facial fillers and

Work cheap when I was there but I didn't know it would be offered.

I'm sure it's common and a lot of ppl do it ;)

Just ask your surgery team.

I've heard the pain is so bad! That's something I don't want to go through!

I had mine taken out during sleeve surgery. Just an extra $500. SO worth it!

I had mine taken out during sleeve surgery. Just an extra $500. SO worth it!

Did you have any sypmtoms that worried you to have it out or did you just elect to have it removed during your sleeve? I'm just curious on the whole process. Also, how do you feel? Any problems with digestion etc? I am getting sleeved in September and currently suffer some gallbladder pain and I did have it viewed via ultrasound and the tech said it was full fo sludge but no stones. It's been aching again lately so I'm curious if my doctor will see that and just remove it or if I should go ahead and elect to have it removed during surgery to save myself from the pain of an attack later on. I've heard it's common for a lot of people to have it removed after they are sleeved. Thanks!

Did you have any sypmtoms that worried you to have it out or did you just elect to have it removed during your sleeve? I'm just curious on the whole process. Also, how do you feel? Any problems with digestion etc? I am getting sleeved in September and currently suffer some gallbladder pain and I did have it viewed via ultrasound and the tech said it was full fo sludge but no stones. It's been aching again lately so I'm curious if my doctor will see that and just remove it or if I should go ahead and elect to have it removed during surgery to save myself from the pain of an attack later on. I've heard it's common for a lot of people to have it removed after they are sleeved. Thanks!

Well, I never had any issues beforehand. I heard about the horror stories about the pain being worse than childbirth. A big NO THANK YOU! I know that 75% of gastric surgery clients end up with gallsstones due to the rapid weightloss. I didn't. Want to have to be put down again. More scars, etc.

I didn't and haven't had any issues at all. I am 1 1/2 years out.

I'm sure you can pick it up when you are down there if you want to take it. Just find out what the Mexican version of it is since they might not have Actigall by name. There are pharmacies everywhere...there was one down the street from the Marriott and a huge one on Revolucion street. I picked up extra Supradol and some other meds while I was there. One of my fellow OCC patients that was there at the same time lives in LA and she said they have been traveling to TJ for Rx meds for years. Ask your surgeon about it or even talk to your doctor in the states about it.

My surgeon wouldnt do it with the sleeve as I had no stones or issues. 8 months post op back to the surgeon I went with GB issues. The attack pains were worse than the pain from my vsg surgery. If they will do it it will probably save some pain and an additional surgery down the line.

I'm still pre-op but I had my gallbladder out almost 4 years ago. When I would have an attack, all they could ever see on the ultrasound was the sludge but when the surgeon finally removed it, I had a stone hiding that was almost the size of a nickel. Just because they don't see stones on the US, doesn't mean they aren't possibly hiding.

I had my gallbladder out 6 months before my VSG. My surgeon had said once your gallbladder is giving you symptoms, it never really recovers, just slowly gets worse, like its worn out. I had no stones either, but had sludge / silt, & unpredictable, colic attacks at night. Doctors talk about "F"'s of typical clients: female, fat, forty / fifty, & often fair skinned! My smooth recovery from gallbladder made me realize I would likely be ok with VSG surgery, and got me over my fears. If your having symptoms, I would get the gallbladder removed.

Good luck!

I'm still pre-op but I had my gallbladder out almost 4 years ago. When I would have an attack, all they could ever see on the ultrasound was the sludge but when the surgeon finally removed it, I had a stone hiding that was almost the size of a nickel. Just because they don't see stones on the US, doesn't mean they aren't possibly hiding.

Well last thursday I had another gallbladder attack myself. Had pain shooting up into my shoulder even. They did an ultrasound and ran lab work and they said the sludge was basically causing the same effect as a stone would but because it wasn't a stone they were not going to remove it. The ER doc recommended I meet w/ a general surgeon and have it out electively. So I emailed my cordinator for my sleeve surgery and requested to pay the $500 and have it removed in September when I have my surgery. One less thing to worry about :)

Well last thursday I had another gallbladder attack myself. Had pain shooting up into my shoulder even. They did an ultrasound and ran lab work and they said the sludge was basically causing the same effect as a stone would but because it wasn't a stone they were not going to remove it. The ER doc recommended I meet w/ a general surgeon and have it out electively. So I emailed my cordinator for my sleeve surgery and requested to pay the $500 and have it removed in September when I have my surgery. One less thing to worry about :)

That sounds like a good choice if it's continuing to cause you problems! Good luck!