Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was approved for WLS yesterday and while I am relived and ready...I am not excited or inspired. I think I'm not excited because I can't visualize what life will be like not obese. I intellectually know my life will improve...it's my heart that's doubtful. I also know from the small windows I've had of "normal" weight that life doesn't get magically perfect. (Life still happens, the car breaks down and people die...etcetera ). I feel like this is normal for an almost 50 year old wife and mother who has been through a lot. (Really, I'm not being dramatic...I've been through it) I also have a sense that my outcome will be better, or at least more fun, if I could get inspired. And I know *I AM RESPONSIBLE for generating my own inspiration.* So in that spirit, I am asking for support from this community for ideas, stories, suggestions - whatever you've got - that inspires you now or did pre-op that you can share with me and perhaps others who are experiencing the same. For example, I got some clothes out of storage that I bought in Italy (15 years and 80 pounds ago) and that helped a little. What say you, Sages of WLS? What inspires you?

Edited by shellief

First of all CONGRATULATIONS! You are where I hope to be in 3-5 months. I'm not a natural pessimist....really I'm not although this post will seem like I am. I have been wondering lately if I've put too much stock in "being motivated" and "having willpower" and the like.

Here's what I mean. My NUT apt was on Monday, so Tuesday was day one of the 3month supervised diet...and one of my goals for the month is to move 30 minutes most days. So there I was on the couch last night thinking...well, even if I dont' go tonight because I don't feel like it (not motivated) I could still get in most days....isn't most day 1 over half?

Then I smacked myself upside the head (gently) and took my butt outside because here is what occurred to me...I don't have to want to for any particular reason at any particular time....I just have to do it. NIKE got that one right.

Having said all that, I hope I didn't offend you...totally not my intention...my inspiration is my granddaughter who is 18 months old. I want to be able to visit her no matter whether her house has stairs, go to the park and play with her...and if necessary raise her (I am her guardian if anything happens to my daughter).

Nope. Didn't offend me - what you are pointing to is that a person is responsible for their actions - inspired or not. I totally get that AND I'd like to generate some excitement and inspiration - from a place of being 100% responsible for my experience. I have young girls, so being healthy is one if my motivators.

Motivation and inspiration.

I had a reality check when I went to the hospital to see my newborn grandson. I wanted to see him raised. I got to accessing my life and realized I was slowly killing my self. If I kept going the way I was I was going to die at a young age. That being said I looked into gastric bybass. Talked to my husband about it. Scared the crap out of both of us.

Saw a commercial about a lapband seminar in my area. I went. Was really impressed by the surgeon. Told my husband. We watched the videos my doc had put out. I was in. Made an appointment the following week. Took my 6 month supervised weightloss time seriously. Lost 40lbs pre op.

People kept asking me well you've lost this much do you need the surgery. My reply was yes I need this tool.

I had surgery last Novemeber. In January I finally starteded noticing how I looked and felt. I felt better than I had in years. My face had started going back to the way it used to be. It wasn't just about my grandson anymore. It was about me and how I felt. I'm down 71lbs sinces surgery for a total of 110lbs. My self confidence is thru the roof. I'm not ashamed or embarassed anymore. It keeps me going.

I don't enjoy working out. I walke 4 miles a day 5-6 days a week and weights 3 times a week. I don't like but I do it and feel guilty if I don't. Works for me. I am about 5lbs away from my docs goal weight for me. I want to lose another 30. He said he'd get me there. My goal is to be a size 12 or 14. I've always felt comfortable in that range. I'm a 16 today so not to much more to go.

Like I said it started with my grandson and ended up about me truely wanting to be healthier and happier and I am. I find something that inspires me everyday. Sometimes the littlest thing, sometimes it's something really big. I know this is long winded. I'm sorry about that. I hope you have as much luck with your journey as I have had with mine

I found inspiration in pinterest...pinning cute outfits, and thinking.."I might actually be able to pull these outfits off a year from now!" I also find inspiration in wanting to be the best mom and wife I can be!

I now have more energy since surgery...and that in itself generates motivation. I honestly believe hormonal changes happen as you lose weight...like it affects your emotions..the ones that are making you feel "in a rut", or "ho-hum"...you start to feel better emotionally as well as physically as each pound drops. I was constantly feeling 'in the dumps' prior to getting banded...even when I was approved, I felt just like you...I think I was worried it wouldn't make a difference in my life or in general...weight or otherwise. I had been through so many diets, workouts, detoxes...why should this be any different, and did it even matter? I mean, here I am pushing 40..this is just what aging is all about, right? Well, I can tell you..at least for me, it is changing my moods... my every day life seems easier and more fulfilling..maybe because I am finally taking care of me? My husband has noticed a big change in my old "ho-hum" attitude. I find I am more positive about life in general, and all these inner physical changes are being reflected in my everyday mood. There needs to be more studies done on how weight affects emotions/feelings. I swear there is a connection there, and it is more than just a mental process.

Point is...things will change as you get closer to the date...and really change afterwards...in the meantime...get on pinterest and pin some future outfits for the new you! :-) I also have been getting excited about doing things like roller skating or ice skating...not having to stop on a hike...running with my daughter, and not tiring out so easily...riding bikes with the family...just "living" life in general instead of watching it...these things motivate me daily :-) Age is just a number...I was starting to let it define me...who says I cant do all these things and more for years to come? Start thinking about what you would love to do for fun...what would weight loss make possible for you that isn't as doable now? Just let your imagination run wild with the possibilities...and you will get excited about it all! :-)

Get your favourite piece from italy and put it somewhere you can see it everyday, maybe that could motivate you? Maybe a photo of yourself when you were wearing that piece too.

I've been looking online a lot at all the clothes I could potentially wear. My wardrobe now is actually pretty hideous, it's all black, it's all baggy, it's all cheap and all ugly! I want a bright wardrobe, with things I can just literally throw on and leave the house.

Life is full of crap, but life also has many beautiful things too. It's hard to get out of a negative state of mind. Once you see the weight start to drop a little, I'm sure you will be inspired.

I cut pictures out of magazines of healthy weight women doing what I want to do -- riding bikes, walking, swimming -- and put the pictures on the inside door of my walk-in closet... where I can see it every day. I also used to have back problems, so I made a picture of a human skeleton's hip area, and photoshopped anvil type weights on the hips. I did one picture with 80 pound weights on each hip and then another one with smaller 65 pound weights. I don't remember where I got the numbers, but it was from an article that said we carry x% amount of our weight on our hips and low back. I look at those pictures and remind myself when I'm down 30 pounds, how much less pressure I am putting on my low back.

I guess you can tell I'm a visual person! lol

I had surgery in March. After I had lost about 30 pounds I cleaned my closet out. Top to bottom. Nothing went back in that did not fit. Items that were too big (yes, there were lots!!!!) I donated. Items that were too small went into my dream box. Now I walk into my closet and I know everything fits. I have a friend who tells me if something I wear is too large and I trust her so if she tells me it is too large it doesn't go back in. Then every 2 weeks I open the dream box and move items into the closet if they fit. It is a dream come true every morning to pick an outfit. It all fits!!!!!!

Just earlier this week I noted the dream box was getting emptied and a friend came in the next day with clothes for me-most of which went into the dream box. I didn't tell a soul about my dream box or that it was getting empty!

I have been stalled for like one month and yet clothes are still moving-so even if it is not success on the scale it is success in inches. This so motivates me.

I also started an art journal with magazine pictures of outfits I like, bathing suits, thoughts on everything from what I am looking forward to or what I am experiencing and that is fun to create and to read. I record my NSVs too. That is motivating to me.

@ Sparklingbeauty53....love love love the idea of the dream box....I'm gonna get a plain cubby paint it with inspirational phrases/mantras and clean out my closet this weekend. The dream box will be full by Sunday...lol Thanks!

I am glad that I found this topic and read it. I am very determined to have wls done, but there are times when I wonder if I can really do it. Reading these inspirations have helped me.

One thing that has inspired me is I would like to get married. I feel like I am pretty how I am for the most part, but I have very little energy and it is hard to find clothes that fit me. I can just imagine how it will be trying to find a wedding dress. I want to be smaller and feel great when I get married. I want to dance all night without getting worn out or be short of breath.

I also have been having medical issues that scare me. I get extremely painful chest pains, and the doctors do not know why. I am 29 years old and I have a cardiologist. I was hospitalized less than a month ago due to the chest pains, but still no answers to why I have the pains. I am at high risk for heart disease and it runs in my family, so if I do not want to die at an early age this is my only option.

I wrote my goals down and kept it in a place where I could always see them. When I achieved one I crossed it off and thought of another.

My goals looked something like this:

1. Being able to clean personal areas without problems. Achieved

2. Play soccer without pain. Achieved

3. Reduce my daily medication. Still working on it

4. Pass the physical fitness test for the police department. Achieved

5. Compete in a triathlon - race day is October 19.

Dream big!! Everything is possible. The reason you are having issues seeing you goals or inspiration is that as we dieted we always gained it back. Our achievements were overshadowed by our failures. It is scary to dream when in the past those dreams are shattered. Goal 1 for me was an easy goal to achieve and then it is a snowball effect. I would think to myself I wonder if I can..... Then I realized nothing was standing in my way. I am two years post op and have not gained anything back. I am training so much right now, my inspiration comes from being able to say yes I did it. Just sit down one day and write what you want to do-when you are skinnier. Try to stay away from size related goals. I was to for into...... For example. I hope that help.

Thanks everyone! This helps me a lot with both specific actions I can take and my thinking in general. I am afraid to make plans and think about how great things can be because I've had a lot of set-backs in recent years - many - if not most - directly or indirectly related to my weight and health. I so appreciate that there are folks who not only understand but can also put into words what I'm experiencing. Thanks a million!