Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, my name is Lisa. I had the Lap-Band in Monterrey MX in 2003 and had success. I initially lost 100 lbs, but I have gained back 40 of it. I still consider it a success since I have kept 60 pounds off for over 10 years. Last year I started throwing up in the middle of the night, as well as throwing up at every meal. I thought that was just how it was going to be - my insurance didn't cover my surgery and I have tried to get follow up appointments with other doctors in town. Most of them wouldn't touch me without an outrageous "takeover fee." One doc wanted $5K up front before I stepped foot in the office!

I finally went to my PCP in April and they set me up with a bariatric doc - since I was having an issue, insurance approved it (I have Sierra Health). Doc said the band was slipped and I also have a hiatial hernia and suggested revision to a gastric sleeve.

Well - today my surgery was approved - in 48 hours! Lap band removal, repair of hernia, and revision to sleeve. My surgery date is August 5.

FYI - my insurance just changed July 1st. I was told by them that because of Obamacare (PLEASE no political comments!!), that complications because of prior weight loss surgery, whether it was initially covered or performed in the country or not, HAS to be treated as any other illness and all I have to pay is the deductibles as for any other surgery. Yay! So, for those of you who have previously been denied or have not been covered in the past, it might be worth looking into. I was told that the changes went to effect on July 1. Not sure if it effects first time surgery or not, but worth researching!

Nice to see things work out for a change eh! Congrats on your up coming surgery..... :)

Congrats on your upcoming surgery. I had lapband to sleeve revision surgery on 6/23. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.

Congrats, Happy for you, My date is August 4th. and I am starting to get a twinge of excitment :-) glad it all work out for you