Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I alone on this?

I am 9 wks post op, in restaurants I find my self watching other people eat. It has become disgusting to watch- it's one part the amount they are eating and another part the speed in which they eat.

For the record, I whole heartedly admit I was one of those people a short time ago. However, now I know how less food I need and how great I feel 82 lbs down and much better off.

I just find it a little hypocritical that I am feeling this. Anyone else feel like this?

me! i find it amazing how much food people BELIEVE they really need compared to how little sustains the body.

i am only 10 days out. i too, of course, was one of them, and one of the BIGGEST eaters ever. i could easily down 4000 cals a day before surgery. i understand food addictions for sure...

Sorry to say me too. Exactly the same! I find the volume and speed at which people eat quite disgusting. But I was shoveling in mass quantities myself not so long ago, too, so I just concentrate on my own plate and tell my brain to "shut up you hypocrite"

I felt all smug sitting at Golden Corral, watching all the people walk by with plates overflowing and feeling like I was so much better than them.... then it hit me, if I hadn't just had surgery a few months earlier, wouldn't I be making my 2nd trip to the buffet about now???? **** consider me "Pimp Slapped" **** :blush:

post-147109-0-92476600-1398650433_thumb.jpg

I just find it a little hypocritical that I am feeling this. Anyone else feel like this?

Now that I became diabetic I look at all the junk available in the grocery story and feel sad. I wish I could tell everyone, "Watch out! This food is not really food, it's sugar and it's dangerous. Don't do what I did!" The sadder thing is that sometimes I still buy and consume the junk.

Edited by Travelmego

What a great thread, matt1912! No, you are definitely not alone on this!

After my surgery, one day I noticed an obese person shoveling in a 12" Subway sandwich so fast it looked like she wasn't even breathing, and I just saw my OLD SELF; then went to my car and cried--for me AND for her. It just gave me another reason to be so thankful for this second chance at health and happiness. I must say that I too was surprised at myself for my reaction and thought I was being "judgemental." I doubt that any of us are thinking "mean thoughts" toward these people that we are now noticing, we are just reacting to SEEING OUR old habits. That's really pretty powerful stuff for the ol' emotions to handle!

So happy to see I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Had a moment in the Wal-Mart checkout line. Was feeling judgemental that the person in front of me had chips, donuts , soda & other junk while I was getting fresh fruits and veggies for the party I was going to. Then realized that would have been me a few sho

So happy to see I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Had a moment in the Wal-Mart checkout line. Was feeling judgemental that the person in front of me had chips, donuts , soda & other junk while I was getting fresh fruits and veggies for the party I was going to. Then realized that would have been me a few short months ago. Btw, the grilled veggies were very popular! Didn't really miss the junk.

Not only am I amazed at how much and how fast some people eat but some of them are quite thin! What's up with that? A few of my friends are like that. I ask for my to-go box right away so the portion differences of what has been consumed aren't so obvious!

I still have to remind myself to slow down. It's funny how often I will order an appetizer and still think I will take it home and eat more later. That "later" never happens. Then I see other people eating a whole sandwich- I won't lie sometimes I wish I could eat even half a sandwich with a side and not have to choose between one or the other. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world and I'm not complaining at all.

Over the years I have seen many posts about this so I think it is common. I don't really understand it personally, I guess I am pretty focused on ME and don't really judge or notice others intake. I have a friend who eats unreal quantities of food and I find it shocking in the sense of ... disbelief but I don't judge him for it. He is only a bit overweight, not obese so apparently can burn it off.

What I have noticed is I gravitate toward people in general that are less food oriented. I have pretty much given up "recreational" eating.

I, too, was among those making terrible food choices and shoveling down excessive volumes.

While I do try not to judge others, it does disgust me to witness the gorging by others. However, I keep it to myself, as I've walked in their shoes before and can appreciate the challenges they're faced with.

I am 9 wks post op, in restaurants I find my self watching other people eat. It has become disgusting to watch- it's one part the amount they are eating and another part the speed in which they eat.

For the record, I whole heartedly admit I was one of those people a short time ago. However, now I know how less food I need and how great I feel 82 lbs down and much better off.

I guess everyone has a different reaction to this. I went out to lunch with my banded friend and she confessed she loves watching people eat, even though she can't eat it all herself. She even asked me to take a couple carbohydrate bites so she could watch me with rapt attention. Strange.

For me, it doesn't stop at the restaurant but extends to the supermarket too! It's not even because I can't eat certain ways anymore, it's because my knowledge about nutrition has improved over the past few months and I feel like I wish these people really knew what they're putting in their face is doing to their bodies - even the skinny ones. It's sad, but on the base I work for, our commissary have very few non-gmo/organic products too. I can't help feel like an outsider.

4 months pre-op I was on the diet on real food (before I heard about the bariatric surgery), after a while I really hooked up with vegetable & fresh fruits. I started to feel differently towards enemy food, like junks, sweets, Desserts. I even didn't want them anymore and didn't feel craving at all for sweets (I'd rather go for greasy food but didn't happen often neither). At the end, I found myself having lunch at a nice Italian restaurant, finishing my salad, my shrimps with a small amount of Pasta (I allowed carbs only for Breakfast or lunch) and watching my brother-in-law enjoying his delicious Tiramisu (I tasted it a little and refused for more) and I felt full, no dessert needed to fulfill anything. I lost 8 kg (17.63 pounds) in 4 months post-op.

Now I'm 7 days post-op, the first 4 days, food nor drinks was allowed after the surgery I was sooo craving for my green smooties! I can watch people eating pizza or any greasy food on the TV and feel nothing but when my husband started to eat his melon (which I'm not yet allowed) I felt almost unbearable. I guess this should be the new eating habit that I just discovered just before the operation and I trained myself to be ready for the life time post-op, I just felt good that I truely can admire it (try not to think that I should have tried to eat well before my morbid obesity) and I will continue the regime after sleeved.

I lost 4.7 kg (10.34 Pound) 7 days post-op and lost 12.9 kg (28.38 pounds) total in the past 4 months.