Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey teachers! I'm wondering how long it took for you to go back to work? Also, how long until you felt normal energy-wise? I have a couple of things this year that will require a lot of standing/walking on my part relatively soon after the surgery, so I thought I'd ask you all how you felt afterwards. My doctor is saying one week would be enough and maybe he's right (?), but teaching is NOT a desk job. Anyway, I'd love to hear how your transition went and if you have any advice, please let me know!

Hi,

I am a school administrator and I had the surgery after school got out in June. I was feeling good after a week but I was still significantly sore. I would recommend you get it done over summer break. It will give your body time to heal and you can take things slow. Having this surgery is the best thing I have ever done for myself!! Good luck in your journey!

I had my VSG on 4/9 (Wed), the next week was spring break, and I went back to work the Mon after break. I had am EMD class and was cleared for performing restraints upon returning. I was tired but better physically each day than I was before the surgery. Good luck!

I am a principal and will be having surgery July 14. Kinda nervous if I will be in shape enough to deliver staff development and work the bus line next month, but I know I certainly wouldn't be holding up well without the surgery either. My doctor says a week but I'm thinking of taking a week and then doing half days the next week until I get strength back.

I took two weeks off from work. I highly recommend taking the time to let your body start healing.

My surgery is July 21st. I'm a teacher and Dr. Said I'd be ok for professional development on 28th and 29th and then vacation week of August 8th. (A very relaxing and well hydrated vacation) Workdays start August 19th and he said I'd be more than okay by then!

My surgery date was June 19th, so I am 2 wks and 2 days post op. While I was able to do routine things (grocery shopping, leisure walking, etc.), I definitely needed a couple of weeks before I would be able to keep up the fast pace of a regular school day. I still get tired easily, and my energy is gone....I must sit down! I chose to have my surgery over summer break, so I could dedicate some time to myself and adjust to my new way of eating, cooking, etc. If you are like me, once school starts, I put myself on the back burner, and it becomes all about my students, lesson plans, grading endless essays, etc.

Good luck to all of you! Healthier teachers and administrators will translate into a great school year!

Thank you all for the replies! I'm kind of in a situation where it looks like Christmas break is going to be my best opportunity. I think based on the replies I will take 2 or 3 days extra before the break so that I'll have a few extra days and an extra weekend to get my routine down and recouperate more. My insurance requires a 6 month physician supervised program which will take me to september/october, and I have to have it done within six months of the completion of that program, which means Christmas will be the longest break in that time period. I've been making some major changes with diet and exercise, so it will be good to keep practicing with those in the fall when school is back in and I'm fully into my work again.

Thanks so much for your input :) I hope you all have a fantastic summer break :)