Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone lose too much weight and now have to gain back

I have lost 171 pounds and for the past year been told by every doctor that I am now way underweight. So scared to eat more and gain any weight back. I am now around 99/100 pounds. Anyone every have this issue? My doctor says it's very rare. Help!!! So afraid to see the scale go back up.

Hi there - I looked at your profile and you're 5' 2", so at 99-100 you're actually just barely underweight. The bottom of the normal BMI is 18.5. According to this calculator, you just need to go up to 101 to get to an 18.5 (normal) BMI:

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

I am very much not in your shoes, but I can empathize with the fear of regain. Perhaps you can increase your calories just a smidge, by 50 calories or so and that will help put you into a healthier weight category without you having to change the routine that you're comfortable with.

Wishing you well in achieving/continuing your new healthy life!

That's what I said but my doctors want me to be at least 110. My blood pressure is super low now but I think it's just because I work out a lot, etc. trying to get up to 1500 calories but it is very hard with the sleeve to eat and drink all day long.

I'm certainly not in the same boat as you, but since I'm below my surgeon's goal and just 2 pounds away from mine (normal BMI), I've been trying to eat a little different to slow my weight loss. I really can't eat anymore than I already am, so I switched from skim milk to 2%, eat real Peanut Butter instead of PB2, 4% cottage cheese instead of nonfat, I added more fruit, whole grain Fiber bars and whole wheat sesame sticks to my snack list, etc. I don't mind losing more, but I'd feel better about doing it slower at this point.

I lost 171 pounds. I feel okay but now everyone thinks I look sick and have anorexia. It's amazing and drives me nuts. I was 271 and now go between 98-100 depends on the day. My sleeve was Oct 2012 and I lost the majority of the weight the first year and have been maintaining current weight for almost a year now. It's funny because now clothes don't fit me - 00 too big and it makes me a little sad because I used to never be able to get clothes when I was a size 24/26.

As long you look and feel healthy....I would not want to lose so much weight where I didn't look or feel healthy no matter what the scale or bmi calculator says. Healthy is my main goal!! I wish you the best of luck whatever weight you decide to maintain, increase or decrease.

That's what I said but my doctors want me to be at least 110. My blood pressure is super low now but I think it's just because I work out a lot, etc. trying to get up to 1500 calories but it is very hard with the sleeve to eat and drink all day long.

See what you can do to add in a few more calories. If you're feeling healthy (as mentioned) I wouldn't drive yourself too crazy with it. I imagine that in time your weight will stabilize in the right place.

being afraid to gain weight even when you are underweight is a symptom of an eating disorder. you need to find a therapist who specializes in ED to help you with this fear.

being afraid to gain weight even when you are underweight is a symptom of an eating disorder. you need to find a therapist who specializes in ED to help you with this fear.

You nailed it. OP keeps saying she's "afraid to gain weight", not that she can't gain weight. This is definitely something that should be checked out.

Perhaps a little adjustment in your perspective would help? When you reach your goal weight, your perspective changes from "weight loss" to "weight management". Sometimes folks struggle with that transition. But weight management works both ways - you need the tools and skills to lose a little when necessary and, you need the tools and skills to gain a little when necessary. The key is to do either one in a controlled manner.

I've been using My Fitness Pal for over two and a half years and find it (or any similar app) the ideal tool for weight management. You need to gain 10-12 lbs. You don't need to do it overnight. So whatever your average calorie intake is that has allowed you to maintain your current weight for almost a year, increase that daily calorie goal by 100-200 calories a day. Like any calorie goal, some days you'll be higher, some days lower. That's perfectly normal and to be expected. What's important is that your AVERAGE calorie intake is 100-200 calories higher.

So try your new calorie goal for a week or two and see what happens with your weight. If you gain half a pound to a pound, great. If you don't gain anything or even lose a little, increase your goal again. Nice and easy - 100 to 200 calories a day (AVERAGE). Try that for a week or two and again, use your weight as your guide for future adjustments.

Before you know it, you'll be at your doctor's recommended weight. It's quick, it's easy and seeing your weight respond to minor adjustments in your calorie goal is a huge confidence builder. I've done it many times and it's very difficult to put into words how incredible the boost in your confidence really is. You know that you are in control. You know that you can, and you are, truly managing your weight. You know that it's realistic. You know that it's sustainable. And perhaps most importantly of all, you learn that minor changes in your weight, up or down, are absolutely nothing to fear.

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!! Now get going on making that relatively minor adjustment!!

I really can't eat anymore than I already am, so I switched from skim milk to 2%, eat real Peanut Butter instead of PB2, 4% cottage cheese instead of nonfat, I added more fruit, whole grain Fiber bars and whole wheat sesame sticks to my snack list, etc.

Oh, how I look forward to these days. I miss fruit and lowfat cheese is less than delish.

Well, I am not underweight but I did learn something about recovering from a loss of appetite episode. Carbs are the key. Eat more of them to trigger appetite and put some weight on. go easy, add a bit of Peanut Butter or some nuts everyday. You don't need to gain massive weight, but how about 5# and see how you feel? If it feels good, you look and feel healthy, stay there.

In truth, MOST women look hottest at BMI above 20 (I read somewhere that most women like themselves best at 22-23 BMI) but it is very much a personal decision.

I think you need to do what makes you feel good and I understand the fear of regain. That is why I suggest very small changes... then get used to it (like weighing 5# more) and decide if it is comfortable or if you agree that you should go a little higher or just hang out there.