Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you really get drunk quickly?

Ok Guys, so I've heard that you should be careful drinking after sleeve because you get drunk faster. I'm not a heavy drinker...but I might have a few cocktails, a beer, and a glass of wine if I'm out with friends. Since I'm 385..that really doesn't affect me. Just wandering if you guys can shed some light on how different or not different your tolerance is post-sleeve. I meet with my surgeon in 3 weeks, so I still have a way to go b4 getting sleeved.

I am six months out from surgery. I had my first drink about 2 months ago. I was not a big drinker before surgery, usually one or two when out socially with friends or on occasion at home with my wife. I enjoyed most any kind of cocktail but in particular mostly drank wine and bourbon.

Since Surgery the most I have had to drink at any one time is two drinks, one time. I was not anywhere close to drunk or intoxicated. Mostly I have found ways to avoid drinking, particularly while at a business dinner. I find it most difficult not to drink when out with friends or other couples. Since the surgery I have not been able to tolerate red wine at all. The tannins in the wine are very acidic and my sleeve does not like them! Bourbon however goes down smoothly.

The surgeon recommends not to drink at all. But it is my guilty pleasure in this lifestyle to have one on occasion, especially because I have been amazingly compliant with my diet since surgery.

Thanks Mac. That helps. I am one that can definitely go without alcohol. However, like you, I think it is a guilty pleasure. I'm hopeful I can occasionally still enjoy the red wine. Sounds like red wine isn't agreeing with you though.

I'm going to be as compliant as possible because I want to be successful. Maybe I'll just hide the corkscrew!!!!!!!! Lol!!!

Do you really get drunk quickly?

Man I hope so. This thing might pay for itself with the money I save on buying less small batch bourbon. lol.

I do not. But then again, I don't really drink to get drunk, either, so I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that a glass of wine does NOT make me tipsy, and I know that is a common occurrence for some after the sleeve.

I waited 5 months post surgery to have a drink. I used to drink beer on occasion but have not tried that post sleeve due to the carbonation. I also like a vodka tonic but have avoided that because of the carbonation. I was addicted to diet coke and don't want to go back to that so I am being hyper vigilant about carbonation.

I started out with a glass of white wine, drank it slowly and nibbled a bit. That went fine. Next time I drank I had two drinks with no food. I got buzzed, not drunk. I tried to eat afterward and was too full.

This weekend I had a couple vodka and 15 calorie raspberry lemonade and got a little more buzzed. I stretched them out and nibbled in-between and was fine.

M advise: drink slowly, and nibble and you can get a little buzzed but still get your Protein in.

Anecdotally, it might help for me to say that it was easy to get tipsy in the first year (I did wait until almost at goal @ 6.5 months before having 1st post op drink). 1 drink (eg martini) and I was in my own little party. After that, though, 1 did not have nearly the impact. During that 1st year I was a 1-2 drink a month kind of guy. Then it turned into 1 every 3 months or so. I just found that drinking without any affect at all was not worth the calories. And I am not much of a drinker to start with. So I stopped. I am almost entirely a Water drinker now. Suits me fine.

Edited by Fiddleman

Always the hard headed one, alcohol does not affect me easily. It is quite a waste of time now, I am not fond of the taste and the amount needed to cause me too feel it is far beyond my capacity and not worth the belly burn. I am intoxicated my not being fat anymore. :D

Good stuff guys! I was very curious since during seminar they made it sound like you'd get smashed after a few drinks! I agree with not drinking calories, so I'm sure I will take a break after sleeve. However, good to know a glass of Merlot or Shiraz won't leave me drunk!!

Heading to Dietician appointment iin two days. I'm sure I won't share any drinking stories there!!! Lol!! Then on to meet with Surgeon in two weeks. Ready to at least get an official sleeve date.

For me I waited six months before drinking anything alcoholic and have tried both wine and beer since then. Wine seems to give me more of a buzz than it used to and two glasses is my limit now. Beer seems better tolerated even with the carbonation though I generally pour it into a glass now to get rid of some and can have a beer or two before dinner without too much effect but have to stop drinking when I start eating and wait at least an hour after a meal before drinking again which I rarely have so far. Still I am 120lbs lighter than I was a year ago so would be worried if I did not get buzzed faster than before.

To some extent, yes, but not like I thought. I think it has more to do with the fact that I can't eat and drink at the same time anymore so I'm generally empty if I imbibe now. Additionally, I can't hold as much so I get full. I literally CAN'T drink like I used to. I tend to avoid beer now as we're not supposed to have the carbonation anyway and it makes me full and uncomfortable FAST. But am I under the table with one glass of wine....? No, it's not that much different than before. I just drink less often and less volume than I used to.

Definitely get buzzed faster here, but I also find it passes faster. I rarely drink...maybe a sip of my wife's here and there.

Have had two beers since surgery. One Guinness and one Blue Moon. Nursed both over an hour and I was fine in terms of the carbonation.

For me , yes. I definitely get buzzed quicker. But as someone said it seems to go away quicker also. Since surgery I have picked up what could be said is a bad habit. Me and the wife have really gotten into craft beer. I usually only have 1 to 2 beers a week so it has not affected my weight loss at all. I usually stick to Stout beers so the carbonation isnt an issue. stouts dont have very heavy carbonation, plus i drink them so slow much of the carbonation dissipates by the time I am done.