Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation after surgery

Hey all,

Last year I booked an all inclusive vacation with friends before I knew about the surgery. Now I'm two months out from surgery and I'll be leaving next week to head south to some beautiful beaches and fun times. However, I'm also a little worried.

I have plans to work out everyday and thankfully my friends are on board with this plan. But I'm more worries about handling the food situation - making smart choices, *having* smart choices available, etc. I've never been to this place nor have I ever done all inclusive so I'm not sure what to expect.

Also - ALCOHOL. I didn't plan on drinking at all but I'm also thinking I'll be in the Caribbean, on vacation, with friends. For the first time in years, feeling fabulous, looking amazing (the lowest weight I've been in nearly 10 years)... Can I drink? Once maybe? What happened to you when/if you had a drink? What are my best options for drinks?

Any helpful insight/encouragement would be fabulous!!

Thanks,

Hana

How far out are you? I tried a little wine a month after surgery and it gave me the worse stomach ache. Eat Protein first and try not to eat too much of the other stuff.

I'm going on a fabulous vacation to Belize just 8 weeks after surgery. I plan to pack Protein powders and bars just in case I'm in a situation where I can't get a good healthy meal. I figure I can always get eggs for Breakfast and being on the beach I should have good healthy grilled seafood choices. But, we're also doing some tours like cave tubing where they include a sack lunch and I don't have a clue what might be in those. So, I'll take along a Protein Bar and maybe fill a bottle of Water with a Protein Drink before we leave for the tour.

Don't have any ideas about drinking -- I don't drink so that won't be a challenge for me.

You don't worry about making the right choices, you just do it. You didn't have this surgery to continue on the path you were going down, you had it in order to take the oath you're on now...a healthier way of eating and living. You make food choices just the way you do every day like you have been. Just because you go on vacation doesn't mean you have to stop making those choices.

In this day and age, there's something for everyone everywhere and if you're that concerned about making wrong choices, take things with you, such as Prepackaged Protein bars, low-carb, high Protein pre-made slimfast drinks that can be poured over ice, and if you feel like you can splurge on an alcoholic drink, that's up to you. You could always just get sparkling Water with fresh lemon and a cherry if it'll make you feel like you're part of the crowd. I mean, why would you even ask the questions you asked? You know what you have to do to stay in track. You either choose to do it or you choose not to do it. Simple as that!

I asked my questions looking to see what other peoples experiences were regarding vacation after surgery. I do know why I had surgery, I've been keeping myself in track and doing well. I do know what to do but this would be a change of pace for me for the week and I was curious what to expect at a place like this - an all inclusive - which I've never been to before.

Theoretically, I know what to do... I suppose I wanted to know concrete examples of what people did so I can plan ahead.

I also don't think I will drink at all but I was wondering what happens if I had one. I noticed that many people drank after surgery, some very early, others not as early... I wanted to know what they dealt with, if anything.

Yes I worry. All the time, every day. Good for you that you don't. But I still think about all my failed attempts and I still worry that this may not work for me, despite seeing my loss and seeing that it's been going great. These are my personal demons that I deal with. Glad you don't have to think about it.

I got married last weekend and we were there for four days with friends and family (almost none of whom know about my surgery). I took a small "desk" blender with me and I had Protein Drinks at least once a day. Other than that I tried to eat my Protein first. I did drink wine throughout the weekend *carefully*. Did I snack? Yes. Did I have a small piece of my wedding cake? Yes. Was I perfect during my four days? No way. But I was careful and I did pay attention :-) have a wonderful time!

-MM

I just went on a beach vacation last week and I'm 3 months out, honestly I enjoyed myself. I drank alcohol, took it nice and slow...1 drink lasted a while. I ate whatever I wanted, a bite this or that, and shared a lot of meals with my husband or kids. Enjoy yourself!!! You've been through alot in the past weeks!!!

I went to Paris and Barcelona at two months out. No problems at all. Saved a lot of money on food!