Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was so angry I should have had smoke coming out of my ears.

Hello everyone,

I went to see my Primary Care Physician's, (PCP) office yesterday to ask for a permanent disabled placard. I have multiple orthopedic problems in my spine and my knees are so bad they need to be replaced but I am considered too young for the surgery.

First the medical tech taking my vitals made a comment and it did not bode well with my visit with my PCP. I was so upset I mailed off a letter to them today. I've redacted, (in Italics) the personally identifiable information:

Here's the letter:

June 24, 2014

Kathleen XXXXX-XXXXX

000 Xxxxxx Xxxxx Drive

Anywhere, Texas 7xxxx

Ref: Visit to office to obtain disabled parking placard.

Dear Managing Physician,

This is to advise you of the completely unprofessional, rude, non-caring, inappropriate conduct, I experienced during my scheduled visit to your office on June 23, 2014.

I was attended by a Xxxxx Xxxxx, PA-C. The purpose of the appointment was to obtain a permanent handicapped parking placard. I am a patient of the a local Orthopedic Group and I see two physicians, Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, D.O., for my spinal problems and Dr. Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, M.D. for my knee problems. In March of 2014 I saw Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, D.O., to authorize a permanent handicapped placard. His staff informed me that only a primary care physician could authorize a permanent handicapped placard. Although I thought this was odd, I did not question it at the time.

I scheduled an appointment and came to your office on June 23, 2014 to obtain from my primary care physician the documentation needed to obtain the permanent handicapped placard. The staff member who took my vitals and prepared me to see the Physician’s Assistant said: “So who told you that you were disabled?” I found this question to be intrusive, personal, and condescending. It is my understanding that this type of question should only be asked by my primary care physician and falls under the patient confidentiality act. Not a staff member whose purpose is to take my vitals and prepare me to see the Physician’s Assistant.

During my meeting with Ms. Xxxxxxx I was then told in a very insulting manner that: “We don’t give handicapped placards to anyone with a little bit of back pain.” I was also informed that: “If we give handicapped placards to everyone with a herniated disc, there would be lots of people with handicapped placards.”

I was so taken aback by these statements and I couldn’t believe it. For my request to be taken so lightly and my pain so minimized by someone who has never examined me was very disheartening. I realize that the office did not have my X-rays, MRIs or records from the local Orthopedic Group to form an informed opinion. However, to completely doubt the veracity of my request and to make it sound as if it were frivolous made me very angry. Are all patients treated with this level of doubt? Apparently it is not necessary to make a medical judgment by taking a proper medical history. Per chance personal judgment and prejudice determines a person’s medical condition.

I will see to it that your office will receive a copy of my records from the local Orthopedic Group so a more informed opinion can be formed.

Also I am disabled vet with a 40% VA disability rating BECAUSE of my knees and back.

Kathleen XXXXX-XXXXX

How awful for you. I hate unprofessional, poorly trained staff. I'm sorry you had to go thru that. Good for you for standing up for yourself and writing a letter.

All that I can say is Wow!

I'm sorry that you have had to be subjected to such unprofessional behavior and I am very happy to see that you stood up for yourself and your rights by taking action and sending a notice to the doctor.

I have had similar experience in dealing with certain staff members in doctor's offices. The fact that they work there does not in fact give them the right to speak with you about your personal medical issues and especially not to make you uncomfortable.

For my experience it was nothing this invasive it was rather a neglect to perform their jobs sufficiently to have the doctor notified and follow up calls returned, they would have people standing at the desk 3 deep to discuss medical referrals medications billing issues and other personal things that I did not need to hear nor did anyone else. Some older patients that could barely stand were left waiting while lots of chit chat went on.

Needless to say when I made the Dr. and the healthcare team the Dr. and the office associate with the issues were remedied and rectified. I work in an office for a living..chit chat is part of office banter and that's great but it's not appropriate at a desk in a medical office with patient waiting for service and phones ringing off the hook. OK that was my rant now back to you...

A good Dr. and office would have known the reason for your visit and asked for your records, MRI and X-ray's or a peer review letter to substantiate your visit and request for the placard. I don't know what the rules are in Texas but the local DMV would be able to let you know what the qualifications are for permanent disability privileges. You might want to do a little research before you have to deal with them again :)

Good luck and cheers for speaking up!

I was thinking the same thing, WOW

That is a well written letter to them, more than maybe they deserve.

I do understand your frustration with people not in your shoes making judgement. I suffer from a lot of pain and (not the Dr) but others involved are quick to pass judgement at times when they dont even know what they are talking about.

We are here for support,

Colleen

Being disabled myself I appreciate what you went through. I am 100% disabled and I'm giving a hard time sometimes. I mean I can walk with a cane but I've had 2 strokes, 2 brain surgeries and have no equilibrium.

I feel your letter was very polite, I think a little too polite. I empathize with you and wish you well!

Hello everyone, I went to see my Primary Care Physician's, (PCP) office yesterday to ask for a permanent disabled placard. I have multiple orthopedic problems in my spine and my knees are so bad they need to be replaced but I am considered too young for the surgery. First the medical tech taking my vitals made a comment and it did not bode well with my visit with my PCP. I was so upset I mailed off a letter to them today. I've redacted, (in Italics) the personally identifiable information: Here's the letter: June 24, 2014 Kathleen XXXXX-XXXXX 000 Xxxxxx Xxxxx Drive Anywhere, Texas 7xxxx Ref: Visit to office to obtain disabled parking placard. Dear Managing Physician, This is to advise you of the completely unprofessional, rude, non-caring, inappropriate conduct, I experienced during my scheduled visit to your office on June 23, 2014. I was attended by a Xxxxx Xxxxx, PA-C. The purpose of the appointment was to obtain a permanent handicapped parking placard. I am a patient of the a local Orthopedic Group and I see two physicians, Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, D.O., for my spinal problems and Dr. Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, M.D. for my knee problems. In March of 2014 I saw Xxxxxx Xxxxxxx, D.O., to authorize a permanent handicapped placard. His staff informed me that only a primary care physician could authorize a permanent handicapped placard. Although I thought this was odd, I did not question it at the time. I scheduled an appointment and came to your office on June 23, 2014 to obtain from my primary care physician the documentation needed to obtain the permanent handicapped placard. The staff member who took my vitals and prepared me to see the Physician’s Assistant said: “So who told you that you were disabled?” I found this question to be intrusive, personal, and condescending. It is my understanding that this type of question should only be asked by my primary care physician and falls under the patient confidentiality act. Not a staff member whose purpose is to take my vitals and prepare me to see the Physician’s Assistant. During my meeting with Ms. Xxxxxxx I was then told in a very insulting manner that: “We don’t give handicapped placards to anyone with a little bit of back pain.” I was also informed that: “If we give handicapped placards to everyone with a herniated disc, there would be lots of people with handicapped placards.” I was so taken aback by these statements and I couldn’t believe it. For my request to be taken so lightly and my pain so minimized by someone who has never examined me was very disheartening. I realize that the office did not have my X-rays, MRIs or records from the local Orthopedic Group to form an informed opinion. However, to completely doubt the veracity of my request and to make it sound as if it were frivolous made me very angry. Are all patients treated with this level of doubt? Apparently it is not necessary to make a medical judgment by taking a proper medical history. Per chance personal judgment and prejudice determines a person’s medical condition. I will see to it that your office will receive a copy of my records from the local Orthopedic Group so a more informed opinion can be formed. Also I am disabled vet with a 40% VA disability rating BECAUSE of my knees and back. Kathleen XXXXX-XXXXX

Wow. I have had the HP since I was around 40 given by the NP at the orthopedic doctors office. I live in MA. I was told then I would need it the rest of my life. My knees are gone and now my back is worse. Maybe call the RMV and talk to the disability department.

Good luck