Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how do you know when you are Full?

I have no idea when I'm full or not at five days out I'm just sticking to instructions, I do get a strange like tightening in my chest area when I swallow but I think that be soreness from the breathing tube. Can anybody give me some hints? I can't wait to get the puree food stage already i read about some many of you eating bad foods I thought our stomach won't be able to take that.

Hi and it's difficult at first trying to feel and figure out our new bodies. I am 17 days out and am on purees. I have to admit I have tried other things chewed them well and have been ok with no pain. Last night however I got a little bold and overate and was so sick. It's best to stick to Drs orders! I don't always get a full feeling though. Sometimes I get the hiccups and that will let me know I'm good. Maybe someone a bit further out than either of us can fill us in on when to know when you are full.

When u start eating solids again, u'lll actually feel full. Probly not the same u did before (I call it "Thanksgiving full") but right now the liquids don't stay in there long enuf to satiate u. I was on liquids for 4 weeks so I was literally read to eat my arm by day 10 (some people claim their hunger goes away for a long period after the sleeve, due to the removal of Ghrelin, but about 50% of us go back to feeling hungry soon after).

I promise ull notice a difference once u start eating real food. I never had a pureed period (went from liquids to soft) so I'm not sure about that step but I know after my first Tb or so of refried Beans, I felt like I had eaten half a cow.

Oh, and some people can tolerate anything right off the bat (not a good idea, however) and some have to go slowly thru the stages.When u've overdone it or eaten the wrong foods, ur stomach will let u know. And it'll take a long tiime before u go there again...

Good luck!

Edited by marfar7

When I was on full liquids, I never felt full. Liquids just don't fill me up. It wasn't until the 3rd week when I started eating purees that I felt a tightness in my stomach and I could feel a poking sensation at the bottom of my throat when I had topped off. The other way I know when I'm getting close to being full is, I start feeling gas bubbles moving around the food in my stomach.

One bite past that "pokey" feeling and I'd be in pain. So be careful and eat slowly.

Edited by joatsaint

Tightness of the chest was a definite sign for me that I was full. Also hiccups are another one. I still get hiccups still today and I'm about 5 1/2 months out. But you feel it too when you are full.

At first, we would start the hiccups and little burps, and were saying to each other, what the heck!! We learned to slow down and stop eating then. Now, at 7 months, we burp/hiccup just a little. Each stage is a little different, but you will figure out your sleeve. This sounds crazy, but our surgeon cautioned us to not eat 3 meals a day and only eat when we are really hungry. It works for us but it is not for everyone I know. I learned early out I could have about half a Protein carton shake and go off all day and never get hungry and have to hunt up food. It was absolutely wonderful, and still is. I would recommend eating a little, definitely use small bowls or a cup, or saucers. Measure out a little of what you might think you can eat, and you can always get more. You might realize you do not want more. I saw everyone was discussing their max/min carbs and Proteins and called our NUT, who said our surgeon gave us no guidelines there, just to eat healthy after 6 weeks. You take all the different posts, keep reading and trying out new things, and then you decide what works best for you. Thank the Lord for all the ideas we get here, as we muddle through! Best of luck!

At first, we would start the hiccups and little burps, and were saying to each other, what the heck!! We learned to slow down and stop eating then. Now, at 7 months, we burp/hiccup just a little. Each stage is a little different, but you will figure out your sleeve. This sounds crazy, but our surgeon cautioned us to not eat 3 meals a day and only eat when we are really hungry. It works for us but it is not for everyone I know. I learned early out I could have about half a Protein carton shake and go off all day and never get hungry and have to hunt up food. It was absolutely wonderful, and still is. I would recommend eating a little, definitely use small bowls or a cup, or saucers. Measure out a little of what you might think you can eat, and you can always get more. You might realize you do not want more. I saw everyone was discussing their max/min carbs and Proteins and called our NUT, who said our surgeon gave us no guidelines there, just to eat healthy after 6 weeks. You take all the different posts, keep reading and trying out new things, and then you decide what works best for you. Thank the Lord for all the ideas we get here, as we muddle through! Best of luck!

I agree little burps is how I know but I also feel full

Thank you all for your help, I can't wait to get off these liquids and go to puree foods

The best advice I got in relation to how much food to eat was in several books for gastric sleeve patients..... and the directions said to eat until satisfied, not full..... that is a rule that I used from day one .....so I eat until I am satisfied and then I stop and push my food away....this prevents overheating and I prevent even trying to determine if I'm stuffed or not....

Shelby

I know it sounds weird but when I'm full my mouth produces a lot more saliva than normal and that's when I know I'm done. If I eat anything more after that I would get sick for sure. Sometimes that doesn't happen so after a few bites I wait a few minutes. Also, a good tip I learned is if your ever hungry or feel hungry.... Take a few big gulps of Water and wait a few minutes. If you still feel hunger you probably are hungry but if you don't feel anything you were probably just thirsty to begin with :D