Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering lap band surgery...

Hi everyone!! I am brand spanking new to the forums. I have recently decided to have WLS- specifically the LB just because I don't want to have part of my stomach removed that just sound so scary and totally permanent! I am attending my first seminar on Tuesday the 24th. Can anyone think of specific questions that I should ask during the seminar? What is the initial consult like? This is all new to me and I'm just curious what all will go down.

Thanks!!

Hi everyone!! I am brand spanking new to the forums. I have recently decided to have WLS- specifically the LB just because I don't want to have part of my stomach removed that just sound so scary and totally permanent! I am attending my first seminar on Tuesday the 24th. Can anyone think of specific questions that I should ask during the seminar? What is the initial consult like? This is all new to me and I'm just curious what all will go down. Thanks!!

Congratulations on starting your new journey. I love my band. 2 years next month. As far as questions to ask, I have no idea. My lung doctor made my appointment and told me I was getting the band. I went to all the monthly meetings and listened. I found this site after the surgery. I didn't do any research but knew I would never do the other WLS because like you I want my insides. There are many books and on you tube you can see the surgery. I did none of these. Some people research for years.

Just remember to follow your doctors rules and not someone else's. Every doctor is different. I never ever cheated pre or post op because I was too afraid of what could go wrong

Good luck with your band and new life

Arlene

Thanks for replying Arlene! I hope to get a lot of information at the seminar! My biggest concern at the moment is my husband he doesn't seem to want me to get it. He's not out right expressing it but giving off signals.

Jamie

Make sure to find the best surgeon in your surrounding area with the best track record and great successes. That is very important. The rest will work itself out. Don't be afraid to talk to more than one and ask your primary dr if they suggest anyone in the area.

I suggest you have a serious talk with your husband and let him know your feelings and needs. This is a major life change and although it is ultimately your decision it would be best for you and your marriage to have his support.

Could he think somewhere back in his mind you will loose weight and he will loose you because of it? You never know what he might be thinking so talk about it. Bring him to the consultation too so his questions can be answered if he is willing. Hopefully he is open minded enough to do that for you.

Good luck, this is for you, you deserve to be healthy as possible.

I had lap band Dec, 2011 weighing in at an unhappy, unhealthy 225 lbs. Hubby never said anything but I knew he wasnt happy with the 100 lbs I had gained over the years. He was and still is VERY supportive of me and the band, and he is VERY happy with his new and improved happy, healthy wife ! He read over a little of the info, listened to my info , and basicaly said" go for it !" Remember, even though your husband is not so sure about getting banded, its YOUR body, and YOUR life, and you only get ONE of those ! So treat it well ! Good luck !

It's funny when I told him I was going to the seminar and was thinking about getting banded. He asked me if I tried. Whaaa?! Of course I've tried. I've been on pills, done Medi weightloss and been back on the pills! Exercised etc. I wanted to bop him. Lol but I calmly explained that yes I had tried, multiple times. I also told him how I'd been feeling about myself and why I wanted to go this route.

He's normally very supportive but I think he's just happy with with the way I am and that's fine but I need to be happy with the way I am!!

Hi there and congratulations on making this choice for your healthy future. I started my research at this time last year, basically digging into this forum, reading post after post and asking questions. I was banded in November and am so happy with my decision. The most important thing about lapband is the followup care and you want to have a nice relationship with your surgeon who will be helping you assess when you need a fill, etc. It wasn't possible for me to meet the surgeon ahead of time but I really lucked out -- nice guy, smart, easy to talk to about how it's going, etc. We don't spend a lot of time at our visits but I know the door is open should I feel I need to see him. Some doctors prime the band so you start out with some fill. I didn't have that and am not sure what I think, but that could be a question. As for the surgery itself, it is laparoscopic and not difficult. Many people have a hiatal hernia to repair at the same time. My surgeon advised of this possibility and sure enough I had that repair simultaneously. Good luck with all -- these are exciting times!

The advice on finding the BEST surgeon is darn good advice. If you go with a band, having GOOD followup visits on a regular basis is critical to your success. Some practices don't do good follow ups, and are just interested in getting paid for the surgery.

I have the band, and my wife had VSG. She has lost far more weight that I have, and it came off a lot faster. You're surgeon should be the one giving you advise on which surgery is best for your needs. And then let you decide. I wanted to go with the VSG, but my surgeon was dead set against it because of the risks at my age. Most folks lose a bit more with the more drastic surgeries, but any surgery can be made to fail if someone doesn't follow the diet and nutritional needs outlined for post op patients. Likewise, there are lot of banders who have done extremely well.

I like the results the people with the VSG have but the surgery itself scares the tar outta me!! I will see what they say on Tuesday and go from there. Thank you all for your replies!

Any surgery scares me.

VSG: you lose a lot of your stomach, and pray that you never have serious issues in the future.

Band: you keep your stomach, and hope that nothing goes wrong when you are in your 80s or 90s requiring major surgery to remove the band.

It is not an easy question, and it requires a lot of thought and professional advice. For me, losing the weight was paramount, or I risked not having a future to worry about.

Good luck to you on whatever road you take!

Thanks for replying Arlene! I hope to get a lot of information at the seminar! My biggest concern at the moment is my husband he doesn't seem to want me to get it. He's not out right expressing it but giving off signals.

Jamie

I know a "signal" you can give off in return. :angry: So what if he doesn't want you to get WLS? He has two choices here: He can step up and be supportive or he can step back and STFU. Either way, it's your body, your health, your decision. He has no say in the matter and he needs to learn to respect your right to your person and to be your support and your cheerleader, not a hindrance.

I don't know... Maybe I'm a hopelessly spoiled wife. But from the moment I told my husband I made an initial online appointment for a Lap Band consult right through every pre op appointment, my surgery, every after care appointment... My husband has been nothing but supportive, helpful, sweet. He never complains, he would never assume that he has the right to approve or not of any medical decision I make. He is just... Here for me. I return that respect and those favors when he requires medical care. I always assumed that was part of being married. :)

/end rant/grumble/

The Icy One:

My hubs just doesn't think that I am over weight. He asked if I really thought I needed it. I politely reminded him that I have tried just about every weight loss option out there, told him that I literally hate the way I look and pointed out that that was why he hasn't seen me naked in a while. It's not him totally me. I think once he knows I'm serious about it he will show a little more support. Hell the man supports me with any endeavor that I set out on. I really think he is just worried about the money aspect of it all. :(

My hubby was a little reluctant too. I just made up my mind and didn't waver or bicker. This is what I need for me and my health and nothing is going to change my mind. My surgery isn't till August , so he and my family have a lot of time to voice their opinions. I'm just so dead set on it that I won't let them sway me off of it. I'm excited and can't wait to have the surgery and start on my new life.

That's awesome stick to your guns!! Congrats you your surgery date. I am going to my first seminar and consult tomorrow at 11am so I'll know more then. Hopefully my insurance will cover it and not be a totally jerk face about it. Fingers crossed!!

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya!