Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, great @@woo woo - really appreciate that. I wonder if qualifying means you have a hernia and can have part of the cost offset by insurance that way. I am going to check it out. I won't change my surgeon now - still going to Mexico - but I would love to know the details.

Especially since I've noticed many of us who have the surgery end up discovering a hernia.

You know for some reason I was assuming that it was income based or something but the hernia thing makes a lot more sense.

As far as quality, it's mainly the facility costs are much higher up north. We are talking about major metropolitan cities like Dallas, so I wouldn't be concerned about quality of care or doctors in the south at all.

I used to live up north (midwest) and self pay there is 27k + -- with the vast majority of that being the price for the hospital. Surgeon's fees are about the same.

Southern states seem to have more surgical centers & competition and such to where you are not going to a gigantic full blown major hospital and paying for all the stuff you don't need for just surgery and aftercare.

On top of that, in order to stay competitive, the surgical places are really nice and new and way more comfortable than most of the big, old hospitals up north.

Edited by woo woo

Just came across another summer special in Dallas, this is for Dr. Nicholson, they are offering as low as $4000 for qualifying individuals:

http://www.nicholsonclinic.com/pages/promo

Just wanted to share for those that are interested. :P

Just came across another summer special in Dallas, this is for Dr. Nicholson, they are offering as low as $4000 for qualifying individuals: http://www.nicholsonclinic.com/pages/promo Just wanted to share for those that are interested. :P

@@woo woo

You are sooooo right!! I seen a sign this morning on my way to work that said self pay package $8999, I had my surgery with Dr Barker Bariatrics and I have my 3mo follow up next week I will def inquire and I will post the info, also i will get the info on the $8999 sign i passed here in dallas tx! What ever surgery you choose rather in the States or outside the states just make sure you research and feel comfortable that is best for you!! Good luck

I had my surgery in Mexico and had a wonderful experience. I researched surgeons for over a year and went to one who, while pricier than others, I felt was the best for me. So far, I've received better treatment, communication and follow up than I've ever received in the US and I have easy access to my surgeon and his staff. I don't regret my decision to cross the border at all. It's all about doing the research and finding the best fit for you.

I've never heard of being charged for the hernial repair. The surgeons I researched do that as part of the sleeve, if necessary, at no additional cost.

Edited by BamaGirl08

My Bad experience with MBC, Dr. Lopez, Specialized Bariatrics.

First of all it’s all very confusing. Dr. Lopez and Dr. Osuna claim that with Specialized Bariatrics there is no middle man. But all phone numbers and everything lead to MBC. I never wanted to go through MBC because I did my research and I personally didn’t like this company. After having personal experience with them, I feel even stronger about my opinion!

First of all, I was one of several of us that had to have a hernia repair. Of all the people that I met in the hospital and the hotel, there were only 2 that didn’t have a hernia repair and were not charged the additional $1000! We met several people that went with another company/doctor and of all of them, they had 1 person that had a hiatal hernia and was only charged $350!

I feel like I am the victim of bait and switch! They dangled a price of $4200 under my nose, but I ended up having to pay $5200! They couldn’t keep it straight who I was and if I was a revision or not! Another lady that was a revision was also charged an extra $1000 for her revision!

I’m just sorry that I didn’t go with the other company. They had visits from their surgeon at the hotel and they were checked on many times, taken shopping or if they needed anything one of the coordinators went and got it for them.

I further don’t recommend this company because of the complications that they are not honest about telling people! They recently had yet another death, I found 2 previous but this one was more recent, and they have had several patients have to be taken by ambulance to San Diego! But you don’t find out about this stuff until after you get there and talk to people that live and work down there. Of course they would rather that you not associate with people that don’t work for them or even to associate with patients of other doctors.

Stay away from this company! Maybe there is a reason that 2 of their doctors are no longer working for another company! I only know that if I was the one making the decisions, I wouldn’t have them working for my company! This is just my opinion, but I feel that I was taken advantage of!

Edited by Prince9er

I can tell you I went on June 23 to Tijuana and had the sleeve. Three weeks later I am 30 lbs thinner and feel great. I felt that I had wonderful care and experienced no discomfort. I went through ALighterMe and the staff was wonderful

You may have already had surgery by now. But to qualify for the Dr Kim's Making Bariatrics Affordable plan, you have to have insurance with in network and out of network benefits. Also your insurance has to have and exculsion for bariatric surgery. Yes you do have to go get an upper endoscopy to check for a hiatal hernia. 99% of Dr Kim' s patients have one weither it be small or big, they have one. Really anyone who is overweight, has heartburn, acid reflux, indigestion are a clues that you have a hiatal hernia. If you have a hernia then you are qualified for the 4900 sleeve special. Hope this info helps.

Ok, great @@woo woo - really appreciate that. I wonder if qualifying means you have a hernia and can have part of the cost offset by insurance that way. I am going to check it out. I won't change my surgeon now - still going to Mexico - but I would love to know the details.

<p>How many surgeries does Dr. Lopez do a day?</p> <p> </p> <p>I would be SO mad if the doctor fixed something without asking me in advance if that is ok and letting me know there would be an extra charge if it did get fixed. That puts a patient in a real bind. If you don't have the extra 500, then what will they do? Put you out on the street? </p>

I am scheduled with Dr. Lopez, and was told by my coordinator at Mexico Bariatrics that he does 3 to 5 cases a day, depending upon the complexity.

Those who are > bmi 40 with good insurance and paying almost $0...should just let people with bmi< 35 keep on struggling to save their health before it becomes morbid and that are ready to pay $5000-$10,000 for it.

Ok but why Mexico? Why not find a local surgeon and facility to do it? I don't see many cash pay people even trying that route. They just aim for Mexico.

There are great docs and hospitals all over the world and just as great here. I would be concerned with future care, complications and immediate follow up and want a local person

If it means a little extra more than so be it.

I have a BMI of 30, so my insurance won't pay. To self pay in the US was going to cost me over $20,000 In Mexico, I'm having a Single Incision technique (that the US doctor I went to is not able to do) for $5,500. In addition, the Dr. In Mexico has done more than three times as many surgeries as the doctor in the US, and he is one on the busiest surgeons in my area.

I read something in an earlier comment that I wanted to address... Mexico bariatric places advertise on these sites because that is how they get patients - between advertising and word of mouth. In the US, people BLINDLY just go to whatever surgeon is covered by their insurance or does the procedure at the hospital they chose etc. This surgery is an art and I am not someone who will just go somewhere hoping it turns out ok. I don't like that locally they have started doing this surgery outpatient! I would not want to go home right after, I want to make sure everything will be perfect. I chose Dr Aceves based on the hospital and reviews of the surgeon. He's passed away and the other surgeon that I met that assisted him and another surgeon who taught him are there now. I would still send everyone I knew there. Its the cleanest hospital with the best after care I could imagine. Of the 3 he did the day I went, just one had hiatial hernia and she wasn't charged more, just required to be on a few more extra days of Clear liquids. I had allergic reaction to one of the solutions they cleaned my body with and they treated that with IV meds and creams and no charges for that. I had 3 leak tests - how man US docs do that? How many US surgeons come talk to you every day, even on their days off? The care, experience and surgeons there were far better than in the US. So yes, there are many good reasons to choose Mexico if you are going there for the reasons I did. I didn't just go there because its cheaper, in fact at $8750 mine was one of the more expensive ones. But again, I was in the hospital 3 full days with nurses taking care of me in the cleanest hospital ever (there was *always* someone cleaning in our small wing) and the peace of mind I had the best surgeons around were worth the extra to have it done riht. The hospital is also 10 minutes from the border crossing and you can see the US border fence out the back. The long term results from MBC are also better than the average, with over 90% losing all their excess body weight in a year (instead of the average 60%). Absolutely worth going down there. I would NOT go to every surgeon down there at all, I would probably have only considered 2 surgeons in MX to be honest. I am very glad I chose to go with Mexicali bariatric center (different than Dr Lopez).

Edited by lylabelle

I have been thinking about this for quite a while and now it is bugging me enough to write it down here, and see if anyone else had a similar experience. I was sleeved/revised by Dr. Lopez in Tijuana on May 23, 2014. I felt very comfortable with my decision- I thoroughly researched all the doctors and have friends who have used Dr. Lopez in previous years. Also, to preface my account, I was sleeved by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali in '07 and that was an AWESOME experience!! Best hospital experience I have ever had and I have had a lot! So, back to it...Everything seemed to be going well until I woke up in my windowless little closet of a room after the surgery sicker than hell. Horrible reaction to the anesthesia which isn't new for me. The part that bothered me was that every time I tried to get anti-nausea drugs or ice chips from the staff, they treated me like I was putting them out. As a matter of fact, none of the staff was very friendly or helpful. I was never encouraged to walk or sip my Water. I found my breath exerciser thing buried under a towel on a chair still wrapped in plastic when I was discharged, with no instruction on using it. OK- here's the part that REALLY bothered me: When Dr. Lopez and another doctor came in to see me the day after surgery, Dr. Lopez started off by saying I had a great revision and they removed my lap-band and by-the-way I fixed your hiatal hernia. Well, that shocked me because I had my lap-band removed in 2009. Turns out that almost everyone I spoke with in those 5 days had a hiatal hernia repaired that they were not aware was a problem previous to surgery. Maybe hiatal hernias are very common. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue regarding 'removing' my lap-band. In any case, it's still gnawing at me and I am curious if anyone else felt uncomfortable in Mi Doctor Hospital and/or with the staff of Dr. Lopez.

I had my surgery there by Dr Elias Ortiz, who used to work under Dr Lopez. I cannot say a nice thing about Dr Lopez. I know inside information about his practice and about him up charging many patients telling them that he repaired a hernia. It's a rip off. I work in healthcare and the odds of 4/5 patients needing a hernia repair on the same day are slim. The 5th patient had a bypass so hernia was irrelevant.

I met another VSG pt of Dr Lopez' wife at the hospital who went through Mexico Bariatrics. They never gave her ANY post-op instructions or diet info! I ended up giving her what I had from A Lighter Me, and connected her with ALM's nutritionist who helped her post of for several weeks for free!

I am so thankful for the great experience I had in TJ.

So sorry to hear of your disappointing experience there.

My best to you as you pursue your weight loss goal. :)

I read something in an earlier comment that I wanted to address... Mexico bariatric places advertise on these sites because that is how they get patients - between advertising and word of mouth. In the US, people BLINDLY just go to whatever surgeon is covered by their insurance or does the procedure at the hospital they chose etc. This surgery is an art and I am not someone who will just go somewhere hoping it turns out ok. I don't like that locally they have started doing this surgery outpatient! I would not want to go home right after, I want to make sure everything will be perfect. I chose Dr Aceves based on the hospital and reviews of the surgeon. He's passed away and the other surgeon that I met that assisted him and another surgeon who taught him are there now. I would still send everyone I knew there. Its the cleanest hospital with the best after care I could imagine. Of the 3 he did the day I went, just one had hiatial hernia and she wasn't charged more, just required to be on a few more extra days of Clear Liquids. I had allergic reaction to one of the solutions they cleaned my body with and they treated that with IV meds and creams and no charges for that. I had 3 leak tests - how man US docs do that? How many US surgeons come talk to you every day, even on their days off? The care, experience and surgeons there were far better than in the US. So yes, there are many good reasons to choose Mexico if you are going there for the reasons I did. I didn't just go there because its cheaper, in fact at $8750 mine was one of the more expensive ones. But again, I was in the hospital 3 full days with nurses taking care of me in the cleanest hospital ever (there was *always* someone cleaning in our small wing) and the peace of mind I had the best surgeons around were worth the extra to have it done riht. The hospital is also 10 minutes from the border crossing and you can see the US border fence out the back. The long term results from MBC are also better than the average, with over 90% losing all their excess body weight in a year (instead of the average 60%). Absolutely worth going down there. I would NOT go to every surgeon down there at all, I would probably have only considered 2 surgeons in MX to be honest. I am very glad I chose to go with Mexicali bariatric center (different than Dr Lopez).

Outpatient does not mean going home immediately after anymore.

My "outpatient" sleeve had me checked in at 10 Tuesday and going home on Wednesday at 5pm. I was outpatient. The term inpatient in my IS hospitals means a higher level of care. Think constant docs all around and multiple days.

I felt great! I didn't need to be there any longer than I was.