Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could I possibly run by Thanksgiving?

Hi All,

I'm fairly new here, my sleeve surgery is booked for 4th August, my current weight is 270lbs and I need some opinions on whether I could possibly be fit enough to run a 5k by Thanksgiving?

I'd love to have a fitness goal to work towards and there is a Turkey Trot in my town that includes a 5k run or walk. I'd love to enter but am not sure if I could be ready in the just over 16 weeks between surgery and run day. (I could walk but would rather run if possible.)

Right now I can't even walk the dog for 20 minutes round the block without having to rest half-way. I don't get winded but I get such severe pain in my lower back I have to stop. Knees are okay though.

Do you think I could lose enough and get fit enough for a 5k (either running or walking) in the time available? And would I be able to do enough in the first few weeks post-op to get ready for more demanding training?

Thanks - all advice gratefully received.

PS I just turned 60 and apart from the weight and back pain I'm in very good health.

Where there is a will, there is always a way! Commit and do it! What's the worse that happens, you arnt able to run the whole thing and you have to quit? Even if that happens you still did more of the race than everyone who didn't even try it! You can do it! Weight loss will help but deciding you can is the first step!

@@SwanRose, I was banded on March 13. From February to now I have lost 64 pounds. I haven't tried running, but I'm a walking maniac now. My back pain is GONE. I could not walk around one block before I began this process. I recently went to Italy and walked miles and miles every day on cobblestones. My knees and feet hurt by the end of each day but my back never did, and I never got out of breath at all. And Italy is very hilly! I am amazed at what this partial weight loss has done for my osteoarthritis so far. I also dropped one blood pressure medicine of two and am working on eliminating my cholesterol med and my second BP med. Off NSAIDs since March. Just arthritis Tylenol twice a day. Yes, go for it!

Edited by JustWatchMe

Yes, no matter what, if you can walk it that's a start. Don't be so concerned over anything but making that distance. Once you do a lot of walking, the weight will drop off. I was 100 pounds overweight and dropped 27 in the first month. I did a 10K 3 weeks and 1 day after the surgery. Now obviously I was in pretty good shape (ok excellent shape) for my size, and I was swimming and everything else before the surgery. I only stopped for the week before, the low everything diet.

If you can't do that now, then it would be hard to run it, but there is nothing wrong with a walked 5K. Start here and then go from there.

I was 265 when I started in 1/3/13. My surgery was 1/17/13 and I was 255. I started the Couch to 5K around 2/17/13. I ran my first 5K after surgery at 209lbs on 5/18/13. I was able to run 2.5K and then I walk/ran the rest. I think if you start now with building up your walking endurance you could definitely run a 5K by Thanksgiving. You might need to run/walk, but they'll probably be lots of people at the turkey trot doing that. I've run 3 half marathons this year, 2 of which I ran the whole 13.1 miles.

Thank you very much, everybody, for the encouraging words. You're all completely right - I should just go for it!

I'm going to enter, and I'll run if I can, or walk, or a bit of both. They're not going to send me home in disgrace if I slow to a walk at times! I do swim and ride the stationary bike regularly, so hopefully I'll be able to build up enough stamina to see me through.

One more quick question for you experienced runners/walkers - are you able to stay hydrated during exercise? Do you carry a bottle of Water around a course with you? (That seems like such an awkward thing to do.) We keep being advised to sip Water all day, but it must be difficult when you're taking part in some event.

So great to have a fitness goal like this! I have become quite the walker and I do about 5K or so almost every day. If you have to walk parts of it, no worries. One thing about pre-surgery, I was really glad I upped my exercise prior -- it helped my body get the message that new days were coming and I'm sure all the walking helped so much with the healing process. Kicked me into gear! So walk that dog -- I'd you're worn out at 20 minutes, go for 22. In a week you'll be doing 30. Best wishes to you!