Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who eats McDonalds post op?

I tend to be of the opinion that I didn't have this surgery to spend the rest of my life on a diet, but to avoid that and have control over my eating. However, I've found that I no longer want a lot of bad foods. I hate eating anything with bread (burgers, pizza, sandwich etc.) because it fills me up so fast. If I do eat a few bites of something high carb, like a few french fries or something, I am missing an opportunity to eat Protein, and then will be full for 1-2 hours, and then I can never catch up for the day.

It would probably also depend on the amount of restriction you have as well. At 12 weeks out, I can still only eat about 1/8 cup size portion of anything at one time, so it is hard work for me to hit my Protein minimums. If I just eat whatever I "feel" like eating without focusing on protein, I will end the day having had like 300 calories, 20g carbs, and 25g protein.

So all that to say, I have certainly allowed myself to have tastes of unhealthy foods on occasion, but those tastes just helped to solidify the fact that I don't want to eat that junk. It's ok for an occasional taste, but it's not what I want to eat anymore. I will take my 1.5oz of tuna over a cheeseburger any day now ;)

thanks everyone for your honesty. right now i'm going through my 2 wk pre op liquids and it's making me SO focused on foods! in the end i KNOW that looking and feeling great is SO much better than any stupid burger....i don't know what happened to my brain there for a moment. a new morning and fresh perspective.

it is likely i will lose my taste for the junk, and for sure lose the SPACE for it, so onward I go!

I know what you mean about thinking about the things you'll have to give up. However, after a few months you truly learn what and how much you can eat. I love McDonalds fries, but since my surgery 8 months ago, I've only had a few of them once or twice. I've had the small cheeseburger, and it makes me feel very full, so I don't want the fries afterward. With your sleeve, you can't eat much, so that's a good thing. I still eat the foods I love, just in much smaller amounts. Good luck to you during the process. You'll be glad you did it once you get down the road a ways.

When I think of fast food, I think fast fat. High fat, low quality. I'm not certain if they still put it in their burgers, but I always think of pink slime. That always turns my stomach. Then I think, if I want a burger, I could do far better. Not only with quality but taste.

thanks everyone for your honesty. right now i'm going through my 2 wk pre op liquids and it's making me SO focused on foods! in the end i KNOW that looking and feeling great is SO much better than any stupid burger....i don't know what happened to my brain there for a moment. a new morning and fresh perspective.

it is likely i will lose my taste for the junk, and for sure lose the SPACE for it, so onward I go!

The pre-op was torture. I had full scale hunger and Protein shakes just wouldn't cut it. I was STARVING! That was probably the carb withdrawal at work.

Post surgery is much better. Still hits me, especially when I am around other people eating good food, but it is nowhere near as bad.

Hang in there!

I'll be honest, I'm 3 months out and down 40 lbs. I'll indulge, no where near as much as I use too (weekly basis). Maybe once a month. For example a mc griddle meal. I'll take off the top part of the griddle and eat a half in one sitting. 3 hrs later the other have, 3 hrs later the hash brown. Instead of pop or juice I get a large cup of Water. I'm a realist, I'm human and like to treat myself every now in then. I don't have the weekly cravings which is amazing!

I took my daughter shopping a few days ago. She wanted in and out burger after. I took her and got a cheesburger and fries. I had three bites of the burger and took the rest home to my husband. It was good. I forgot how good they were. Once a month I crave Chinese food. Now it can't be a sweet dish. I choose shrimp in a light sauce. It's all satisfying I just don't need a lot. It's so great. I love the sleeve.

I'm 3 months out. If I end up at McD, I eat a cheeseburger with no bun or a chicken snack wrap minus the wrap. It's not very often and those are decent choices for being in a pinch.

i love everyone's honesty. thanks again. i have two small kids so i have to be realistic and know that i WILL end up at fast food type places, pizza joints, etc post-op.

i know i will be eating very well the majority of the time, and it's good to know that i will have a bit of room to move if necessary!

I had an Egg McMuffin this morning; but I just don't eat the bread. Maybe just one bite of it. The egg, cheese, Canadian bacon-- all good!

I have had a Wendy's cheeseburger, but I can only eat maybe 1/2 of it. I finish it the next day sometimes.

I had a slice of homemade pizza the other day, using onions, bell peppers, hot turkey sausage, cheese and spaghetti sauce baked on a whole wheat tortilla, but didn't eat the tortilla.

The beauty of the sleeve. Love it.

Hi!

I've been thinking about this too. Realistically, at some point I will find myself without another quick option other than hitting a drive-thru.

My plan is...look for grilled chicken sandwich, no bun. A few places have chicken salads. Taco Bell could work if you got a steak or chicken quesidilla and only ate the inside, not the tortilla. Wendy's has chili or grilled chicken salad/sandwich. In & Out or Five Guys could be small cheeseburger with no bun. Jimmie John's would be GREAT because they will turn your sandwich into a lettuce wrap.

I'm working on a list for myself which I can refer to when those occasions happen.

A cheap Taco Bell meal for me is pintos and cheese and one taco. I dump the taco stuffing on top of the pintos and toss the shell or tortilla. I order a soft taco since I am less likely to want the flour tortilla. Wendy's has a kids meal with grilled chicken wrap (I pitch the tortilla), apples instead of fries and low fat milk. Chick Fil A has grilled chicken nuggets.

everyone worries about "never having my favorite".... 95% people can tolerate anything they want post-op including myself. (I am nearly 3 years post-op) Mcdonalds is not my treat of choice... mine is Chic-fil-a or Cheezits.

You WILL be able to eat this DON'T WORRY. Just make this a treat. :-)

I am of the opinion that there are choices no matter where you go. zyou just have to make the right ones. I am not eating bread, potatoes, rice or Pasta.

That being said, I got caught on the road without my bag of tricks and stopped at McDonald's. There are some offerings that fit if you make good choices. I got a small side salad and added a piece of grilled chicken with balsamic dressing. It was low in calories, fat and carbs with 20 grams of Protein. The Egg McMuffin is a good choice at Breakfast.

My 3 year old loves mcdonalds and always wants to go if I go I have a pineapple mango smoothie take about 3 sips and give the rest to my son and have one chicken nugget that is all I can handle struggling to eat a hamburger anywhere