Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who eats McDonalds post op?

ok I am still pre-op and on my 2 wk liquids so i am just sitting and dreaming about food that i can't have. (of course, i'm having a Protein shake and not really hungry, just my brain working).

I am very ready for this, it has been 3 years in the planning. However, one of my very favorite things is a simple Mcdonald's cheeseburger and small fry.

I know what it's made of, i know all the media coverage of lipids, liver enzymes, etc...BUT, i still like it every now and then.

Considering that my taste buds may change and i may never want it again, i'm also wondering who still indulges in McD's post-op? if i WANT to, will i eventually be able to account for it and enjoy this every few months?

Edited by mi75

yes, well that is my hope, but a lot of friends and co-workers eat pretty regular food (pizza, chinese, etc.) post op so i'm just wondering...

@@mi75 - It's however YOU want to live. Some people eat pizza after weight loss surgery. Some people eat clean. There's more than one way to skin a cat??? ... Uh, you know what I mean. Do what's realistic for YOU.

(Although, more than likely, those who've changed their food choices do better with weight loss, cravings, and head hunger??)

agree. i really plan to eat well and change my diet for the better, and leave all the junk behind...but, well i'm just wondering about a VERY occasional 'date' with my kids, not a regular thing.

like we both said, my hope is that i won't even really want it!

I didn't like McD's before my surgery, let alone afterwards. It's funny ur mentioning this right now. Last month, McD's came out with the buy 1 get 1 free of Big Macs. haven't wanted a Big Mac in about 10 yrs. Till I saw the commercial. About a week ago, my poor hubby had to get dressed (we're usually in bed by 9) at 9 pm (cuz it's only after 9) and go get me a Big Mac. It's been 11 mths since my revision and that 1/3 of a Big Mac was yummy, not at all like I remembered it from 10 yrs ago.

Hope this isn't the start of something...

But, since u asked, I DO eat most of my fav foods (incuding pizza, tacos, burgers, fries) occasionally and a very small amt (like I can eat about 1/2 pc of thin crust pizza, 1/3 of an In and Out cheeseburger, 2/3 of a Del Taco soft taco, about 8 fries-and this isn't all in 1 meal, btw! LOL). I luv my tiny tummy and I don't want to ruin it and it's affects by eating too much/too often.

When u start sliding into a single digit pair of jeans, u really don't want to go back to a size 22 again...

Good luck!

You will be able to eat that post op after you heal. You probably won't be able to eat a whole hamburger and fries for quite a while post op. I've had pizza more times than I'd like to admit. I've also eaten a few fries. My cravings for food didn't go away but my sleeve keeps me quite full. I personally didn't have surgery to be on a diet for the rest of my life. I will eat what my family eats for the most part but I will eat way less. I eat very healthily most of the time but not all day every day. I haven't been to McDonald's post op yet..... I could prob eat half a hamburger now. It just doesn't sound good though. They make a great southwest chicken salad with grilled chicken. I haven't tried those yet either because salads scare me a bit still! I'm just afraid I won't be able to chew it enough. Maybe I'll try a salad tomorrow! I'm six weeks out this week.

I've been wondering somewhat the same thing. How strict do we need to be long term?

Looking at just the numbers, you get

23 fat

62 carb

18 Protein

Okay, that is not good. But, will it set you back if only done rarely?

I know if I was on a diet pre-surgery that would have messed me up because once I slipped I had a really hard time getting back in line.

What have people experienced here? How much does an indiscretion set you back?

I haven't had my surgery yet, but every blue moon I might eat half of a hamburger

It's the carbs you have to watch out for. How often? It is pretty individual. Personally, I eat very low carb 80-90% of the time with high fats and moderate Protein. When I do go off plan, you can bet it is going to be something better than McD lol. If you must have it, just skip the bun and fries, and it won't be bad for weightloss at all.

I would eat at McDonalds before surgery - not a lot (I'd prefer a good cheeseburger from a great bar here in town).

Now - I really don't want one. In fact, I was in a McDonalds this afternoon and the greasy smell made me a little sick to my stomach. I didn't order anything and to be quite honest, I didn't want anything.

I have found that those foods that I used to crave, want, binge on, just don't appeal to me anymore. I used to love bread - good crusty artisan bread. I rarely eat bread now and I don't miss it. The other night at Olive Garden I had 1/2 a breadstick....pre-surgery, I would eat 3-4 breadsticks plus all that Pasta. I used to love pizza - I know will eat the toppings and a couple of bites of the crust.

I think once I de-toxed my body, I realized all that I didn't want all that processed food anymore. I'm not saying I never eat carbs or bad stuff. I've been known to sneak a fry from my son's plate or a Dorito here and there, but for the most part, I don't want that stuff.

I know you're worried about what your diet will be like post-op....I did too. I mourned food. I had my food funerals. In reality, I didn't need to. Food just doesn't have it's clutches in me any more - I'm finally free.

My kids wanted Mc Donald's and I was unprepared for my blood sugar to crash while garage saling. I got myself a grilled chicken sandwich and ate it bunless. It was pretty yummy and I've never like McD's chicken sandwiches! LOL

I had a cheeseburger from McDonalds last weekend. We were out running errands and I forgot to grab my bag with my healthy Snacks, I was starving and I am allergic to chicken, so cheeseburger it was.

I ate about 1/2 and I have to say, it was not that great. Not nearly as delicious as I used to think.

I was a fan of the golden arches prior to surgery, 6 weeks post op and tried a hamburger from there this week and wow what a disappointment. When you chew as much as we now do, you really taste food differently.

Head hunger will always mess with your head. What helps me stay true to my healthy eating is logging it in. As soon as I see the calorie count it reminds me to stop at two fries!