Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the real point of this surgery?

Think about how many times you have gained and lost weight without successfully sustaining any kind of significant loss. This is a tool, not a cure, to help boost the work you are doing on yourself. It is simply an extra tool. That 's it, to give you a big advantage in your journey. I think of all the years of my life that nothing has worked long term, and i darn tootin' know that I needed an additional tool to work alongside the things I've learned along the way. It is not a cure or an excuse for a food free-for-all. . It is a boost, a tool to use with eating healthy and working on your head that will help you succeed as long as you keep up the work. I shake my head at some who ask when they will be able to eat potato chips post-op. Those who think it is a cure and not a tool will have a rough time being successful. But it is a valuable tool that gives you a big headstart and helps you maintain.

Edited by quuquui

Hi, im 2 weeks out of surgery and already know this was the best decision I have ever made. I have no cravings and feel full all the time. Im up to eating mashed vegies and small amount of meat. In the past I would eat a large meal and my kids leftovers! I love food and I still do, but now I can only eat about 6-8 teaspoons of food if that. In the end you should be able to eat an entree size meal and that's it. Im looking forwards to my next few weeks. Like everyone else here have tried that many diets its embarrassing. But we have all made a decision to improve our lives. Good luck to everyone out there on their journey. :)

The more I research this, it seems that most weight lost is due to the extreme pre-op and post-op calorie-restricted diets. I have read many people on these forums talk about appetite coming back (I thought the ghrelin-producing cells were removed!), ability to eat large volumes of food still, and generally weight loss stalling or at least slowing to 1-2 pounds a week. I can lose 1-2 pounds a week just exercising and grinding a program like Weight Watchers.

I got interested in this procedure when I heard about the appetite reducing properties and thought that, coupled with the inability to eat large volumes of food, would help me not just lose my 100 pounds of extra weight, but KEEP it off. I see so many people talk about regaining half or nearly half of what they lost, or the hyper-vigilance needed to watch what you eat, not drink during meals, make sure enough Protein is ingested, and vitamins/minerals too.

It sounds to me like I'll have to be just as careful about watching what I eat and exercising as I would be if I lost weight the traditional way.

It's all got me wondering what is the point of the surgery? Is it just to lose part of it faster?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Hoping for guidance, and thank you!

I wondered about this, too. But I saw so many people succeeding, and the statistics indicate that people can and do succeed in losing and maintaining a significant portion of their excess weight, that I decided to take a leap of faith. I just wasn't sure if I had what it takes to be successful, but since I was already unsuccessful in my weight loss attempts, it was sort of a last hope.

I do think that part of the success factor is the rapid weight loss in the beginning. It's very encouraging in the first few months to see the weight sliding right off with little effort or hunger. The severe restriction and general discomfort associated with eating helps to instill new habits. Success begets success.

It's true, hunger does seem to return for most people. Your capacity will likely increase (mine did). However, even with the return of hunger, it's manageable. Probably like a normal person, something many of us have never known. And, even with an increased capacity, it's NOTHING like it was before. So, those are the tools you hear people reference. At the end of the day, it's up to us. You have to decide what you will do with it. You can maximize it, or you can work around it. It's not magic, and it does not change your behavior. You have to do that.

One other thing that it helped me with - I learned a physical reason I was so heavy (besides the obvious). I have to eat around 800-900 calories a day to lose weight. So, even a "normal" diet (based on scientific calories in/calories out) for me was way too much. Without the sleeve, I would have never been able to decrease my intake long enough to lose the significant amount weight I needed to lose. I have seen similar stories from others, so I know I'm not alone.

So, that's a long way of saying there's more to it than meets the eye. The sleeve will do some of the work for you initially, but for the long term, it's ALL you, baby! And you can do it if you want to.

I like to think that I was a yoyo up and down .. When I get to my goal weight I feel it will be easier to maintain and be able to be active more .. It's a tool that helps you get down weight at the same time makes it hard to over eat the way you might be now .just think it trains you to eat small amounts . Yes there is a chance but you have to deal with that as it come up. . Every body will exp different things .

Great question! At 16 months out I am now a "veteran" so I'm going to weigh-in, yuk, yuk! ;-)

I have struggled with obesity my entire life. I have a very slow metabolism. First went to Weight Watchers at the age of 11, way too young in my opinion. I did countless diets and was never able to lose a significant amount of weight and would always get discouraged and quit at some point. SOS. What decided me on this particular WLS was the promise of decreased hunger. However, knowing the difference between true physical hunger vs. emotional head-hunger is a work in progress for me. Everything that others have written here is true. Ultimately how well we do with our weight loss and maintenance is up to us. So yes, I still track my food and weigh myself every day. It's the only way I know to stay on track. It gets old and sometimes I relax about it, take a vacation, and usually I will gain a couple of lbs but if I get back on track quickly I will lose it again much faster than I ever would have pre-surgery. Also weighing daily, even if I've not racked my food keeps me from regaining as much as I might otherwise.

So why get the surgery? If you know that you have the ability and patience to lose the weight and maintain without the help of WLS then you don't need the surgery. I knew I needed the help, but that's me. Only you can make this decision for yourself based on your medical history, self-knowledge and awareness and ability to handle the risk of surgery and possible complications. It's a big, life-changing decision and should never be taken lightly.

Whatever you decide for yourself I wish you all the best. Thanks so much for posting your question.

Probably like a normal person, something many of us have never known. And, even with an increased capacity, it's NOTHING like it was before.

Michigan Chic,

This statement right here is what I keep coming back to. My husband, who loves food and loves to eat, but can easily turn food away, just doesn't really understand what I go through day in and day out. I heard one person call it "brain chatter". That constant nagging in our heads about wanting to eat, thinking about food, etc. I have read where people talk about what you say...feeling more "normal." That's how I felt, back in the 90's when the "real" Accutrim was out there. I would take one of those on days that felt stressful or like I might have a problem watching my intake and for that day, I felt like my relationship with food was...normal. I ate when hungry, stopped when no longer hungry. I wish there was something that would give me that feeling all the time. I just want a normal relationship with food.

I'd like to chime in again. ???? There will be swelling of the pouch immediately after surgery that will only allow you to eat/drink a very small amount. Some hunger will return, which as someone else said it's probably "normal hunger" which I'd never known. I've struggled with my weight as long as I can remember. I faced the fact I needed help and had to do something extreme. I didn't talk to many people because I didn't want any negativity. I'd prayed and done extensive research and was confident of my decision. While prepping for surgery I attended some support group meetings and asked questions. I joined BariatricPal and was greatly helped. I read a some books, one by a doctor who specializes in VSG another by a public figure who'd had gastric bypass and gained quite of bit of lost weight back, later to lose it and keeping it off.

When I completed the intake form for my surgeon I was surprised to see all the methods I've used throughout my life trying to lose weight. My surgeon commended me on my previous efforts and said he thought I was an excellent candidate. Knee pain immediately went away. Diabetes under control. Blood pressure under control. More energy because I'm not lugging around as much weight. More active than I've ever been. Confidence greatly increased. Helping others who are considering or have had VSG. As I see my progress I'm inspired to exercise and have found a site where I take walking/running challenges and receive medals (another inspiration). My first 5K was so amazing and something I could not have done a year ago. All of my doctors are so pleased with my improved health and I feel better than I EVER remember feeling.

Post-op everyone has different experiences. For me beef doesn't digest well; sometimes I have to make myself eat because I'm not really hungry; formerly a sweet lover, my cravings are fewer and easily satisfied with a small amount or a sweet Protein bar; my body doesn't do melted cheese well; layered Pasta dishes don't agree with me, tried a potato chip from a friend's bag and it didn't digest well. One of my friends can no longer tolerate creamy foods. One still craves crunchy salty Snacks and has found bariatric replacements that also have protein.

Life is full of chances and choices. I was taking a chance with my life by being morbidly obese. I made a choice to take a chance on the surgery.

Michigan Chic, This statement right here is what I keep coming back to. My husband, who loves food and loves to eat, but can easily turn food away, just doesn't really understand what I go through day in and day out. I heard one person call it "brain chatter". That constant nagging in our heads about wanting to eat, thinking about food, etc. I have read where people talk about what you say...feeling more "normal." That's how I felt, back in the 90's when the "real" Accutrim was out there. I would take one of those on days that felt stressful or like I might have a problem watching my intake and for that day, I felt like my relationship with food was...normal. I ate when hungry, stopped when no longer hungry. I wish there was something that would give me that feeling all the time. I just want a normal relationship with food.

Do you think counseling could be beneficial?

BMWSistah,

I definitely think counseling could be beneficial. I'm going to see if my surgery center has some recommendations. I love your last paragraph, by the way. I told my husband I was 100% likely to be diagnosed with diabetes eventually unless I was able to drop this weight. There are risks to the surgery, but health problems from obesity are an inevitability. Take a chance...I like it!

The more I research this, it seems that most weight lost is due to the extreme pre-op and post-op calorie-restricted diets. I have read many people on these forums talk about appetite coming back (I thought the ghrelin-producing cells were removed!), ability to eat large volumes of food still, and generally weight loss stalling or at least slowing to 1-2 pounds a week. I can lose 1-2 pounds a week just exercising and grinding a program like Weight Watchers.

I got interested in this procedure when I heard about the appetite reducing properties and thought that, coupled with the inability to eat large volumes of food, would help me not just lose my 100 pounds of extra weight, but KEEP it off. I see so many people talk about regaining half or nearly half of what they lost, or the hyper-vigilance needed to watch what you eat, not drink during meals, make sure enough Protein is ingested, and vitamins/minerals too.

It sounds to me like I'll have to be just as careful about watching what I eat and exercising as I would be if I lost weight the traditional way.

It's all got me wondering what is the point of the surgery? Is it just to lose part of it faster?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Hoping for guidance, and thank you!

I too thought the exact same thing and then I would cheat on my diet not go to Weight Watchers meetings find a reason to consume ahole cheeseburger frys a large soda in under 10 minutes. The thing about the surgery is you still have to grind make great choices on food and exercise but when you have a moment of weakness you cannot sit down and eat that burger and fries. It is a tool but mainly a restriction against your own demons.

I have found it a lot easier to get back on track after a slip up than in ore surgery days. I also realized I needed to eat 1300 cals a day to lose weight. and that was 1-2 lbs a week. that would be impossible for me without the sleeve. in fact on WW and other "healthy" programs calories for someone my size were in the 1800 range. no wonder I could never lose for long and fall off the wagon so easily.

The reality is the sleeve a terrific tool, but it's just that - a tool. What it does best is helps to re-train our brains and how we view food. I am speaking strictly from my experiences, but at 9 months post-op, I am still feeling a lot of restriction in my tummy. It is not impossible to overeat , but it is uncomfortable to over eat , plain and simple.

The liquid diet will force you to lose weight pre-op, but those losses are almost impossible for us to maintain over the long run , and scientific research gives long term success approx a 5% chance. I have found that once I started to lose the excess weight, the better I felt. The better I felt about myself , the more I want to do the right thing. Be honest about your motivation. Are you looking for a life style change or a quick fix? Only you can decide your motivation to pursue WLS or try another diet. Good luck with your decision .

my center says 20% of people regain after this surgery. thats an 80% success rate at 3 years post op. (i dont think they track beyond that, idk)

two things; thats a heck of a lot better then the like 2% success rates of diets long term. almost everyone who loses weight on a diet, and that includes large weight loss, gain it back. and, the people on this site are more likely to be regainers... as those who are struggling or need support long term come here and post for help. those who are doing well and dont need support have moved on and dont post here. (for the most part)

so dont let the number of people who post here about regain discourage you, if you are compliant with your diet and exercise, you will be successful.

Michigan Chic,

This statement right here is what I keep coming back to. My husband, who loves food and loves to eat, but can easily turn food away, just doesn't really understand what I go through day in and day out. I heard one person call it "brain chatter". That constant nagging in our heads about wanting to eat, thinking about food, etc. I have read where people talk about what you say...feeling more "normal." That's how I felt, back in the 90's when the "real" Accutrim was out there. I would take one of those on days that felt stressful or like I might have a problem watching my intake and for that day, I felt like my relationship with food was...normal. I ate when hungry, stopped when no longer hungry. I wish there was something that would give me that feeling all the time. I just want a normal relationship with food.

if normal means you dont think about it, that isnt going to happen. if by normal you mean not using it as drug to medicate your feelings and stressors, that can happen. you might want to find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. i do not have constant nagging in my head wanting to eat or thinking of food. unless i have a ton of stress. if you have it all the time... you probably need to investigate new ways of coping with stress or anxiety. again a therapist can help.

I was sleeved 2 weeks ago and I love the comments on this thread so far. Thanks for sharing everyone.

My 2 cents… Last year my husband had the vsg performed. While he was jumping through the insurance hoops and prep diet, I tried to tackle my own weight "one last time" the "normal" way. I became a vegan, and was for 8 months. I lost 60 lbs. I stopped when my life hit a couple speed bumps (always happens) and started to eat "healthy normal" bringing in back small portions of cheese and meat. 6 months later, I had gained it all back, all 60lbs and kept on going to add another 10. All that sacrifice, for nothing. That was it for me, I knew no matter what diet I tried, I would ALWAYS hit a speed bump that would knock me off track. Now, no emotion is going to change the fact that I have a tiny tummy inside that will not change size based on my emotional roller coaster.

Good luck to you as you evaluate the best, most permanent way to become healthy!