Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the real point of this surgery?

I agree that it's just a tool and in my case, one HELLUVA expensive tool because I'm paying for most of it. But that's the trade off.

That's why I'm planning to doing everything to change my sleeve from a mere tool a catalyst. For me its a line not in the sand but in rock, so there's a clear before and after from the person that I was to the one I will become.

You have to want it and I want it bad.

To Jenny above,

You don't sound bitchy. I was actually scared to ask this question in the first place, thinking I might offend someone. But the honest truth is that I'm torn over whether to do this or not. I am terribly addicted to food and thought this surgery would be the answer. Now I'm not so sure. You say that after surgery, you are the same person inside who must still face triggers. Then my question is, if those addictions must be managed and triggers avoided after surgery, why not just face them INSTEAD of surgery, and lose the weight a little more slowly?

I'm so very happy for all of you who, for perhaps the first time ever, have finally achieved meaningful weight loss. I hope to achieve it too. I've had ups and downs with my weight since I was little and I gained all of my 100 pounds of excess weight in 4 years of graduate school. Well, 3 kids later, and I still haven't faced down this weight and won. I'm really feeling desperate, but just don't want to do something drastic, just because "everyone's doing it" and the happy shiny people on the TV commercials make it seem so great.

I want something that will be a tool for a lifetime, not just for a few months to a year. I wish I could post this same question in the veteran's forum, but it won't let me. I would love to hear from people who are 5 or more years out. The trouble is, because of human nature, I may not hear from many people for whom this hasn't worked that great for that far out.

Thank you all for your input and again, I am very happy for you and wish you continued success.

It sounds like to me you aren't quite ready. You might be close, but you're not there yet. However, I am not in your shoes, so I would hate to try and speak for you.

I can remember 17 years ago I saw a commercial on TV about a vague "hospital' weight loss program, so I called the number. When the lady told me it was weight loss surgery, I told her politely that I wasn't interested in something so drastic and ended the conversation. I thought I could do it through dieting and excercise, so I joined a gym that same week and started to work out. It was the same story, year after year - diet and exercise to try and lose the weight. I've been overweight now for over 20 years (struggled with weight for most of my life too). This is the biggest I have been, even after having my second child. So now, I am coming to terms with the fact that if I could do it on my own, I would have already done it.

Good luck to you in your journey and I wish you success, no matter what form it comes in.

You've hit the nail on the head. Studies have shown that you basically have a very tiny chance of getting it off and keeping it off. The fact is the surgery will help you get a significant amount of weight off in a shorter time and then give you a help in terms of your part in food style and exercise.

Pretty much, doing it on your own gets so much notice in the paper because it is that rare and unusual.

When it comes to vets 5 years out, do the studies show most will keep it off (as in over 50%) and say a percentage of that loss? Yes. When people bypass the bypass, its going to be harder. If you drink 1000 calorie shakes and eat ice cream, it will get you. No matter whether you have the sleeve or not but the fact remains it is harder to try and do that, as you can't eat as much as you did before.

This is a great thread. I binge eat. I am addicted to sugar. I need a period of time to modify my behavior and this surgery will provide that. I need to exercise but I am so exhausted and my body aches. A significant weight loss will increase my energy level and I will exercise. (I know I will because I used to do it regularly in the military and enjoyed it.) The thing that convinced me though was going to a support meeting and also talking with the surgeon. Yes, it is scary but now I am getting more excited each day. If you have not been to a group meeting, go and talk to people. It's not a miracle fix, it's a tool and an opportunity for those who want to do it. Prayers for you that you will find the answer that is right for you. One word of advise though; don't let fear or negativity make your decision for you! God bless.

This is a disease that needs constant vigilance. The difference is that now I have a fighting chance. I did not want to lose 100 lbs and gain it back again. The thought was just too depressing.

That's all I want is a fighting chance. I don't think my current provider wants to give it to me. God damn the VA.

I totally understand your concerns because I've had the exact same ones. But because I've been too intimidated to ask I've increased my research on the subject (to the point of obsession).

In my research I've found two very important things that differentiates the sleeve from a normal diet.

1) grehlin hormone: hunger hormone that is reduced. (Which you already know)

2) The bile acids are changed: the acids don't bind to a nuclear receptor called FXR. Research has shown that In the absence of FXR weight-loss occurs

So to answer your question, the point of the surgery is to restrict your stomach so you won't eat as much, reduce your want to eat, and change how your bile acids work. You will absolutely have to work at it but all these things combined cannot be done without the surgery.

Hope this helps

Thank you all for such great posts. I did this because I have yoyoed so much it was destroying my body. i want to be healthy.

Sorry double post

Edited by kat77

I just wanted to add that I was worried about weight regain as well, I opted to do the RNY gastric bypass and also get the silastic ring. The ring helps you not to stretch out your pouch and I am so glad I did it. My insurance wouldn't cover the ring so I saved and paid for it. I don't think I would have done the surgery without it. I have had success as well. I have lost all of my excess weight. 150+ lbs in a little over a year. But the first four months were very slow since I have other health problems. So it really took me about a year. For me the key was sticking to my docs high Protein diet. As we got to certain weight loss percentages he added back veggies and then fruit. I am now on an unrestricted diet and actually have been asked to gain weight for the first time in my life. This surgery takes hard work and dedication, and it isn't just a quick fix. If you think you can loose your weight without surgery, that is the best thing for you, but for me, I was not able to loose weight because I'm in bed and inactive a lot. You really have to research and decide if this drastic measure is right for you. I do not regret my decision at all, and all the hard work has paid off. But i will have to figure out how to stop losing now and maintain, I don't think the work is ever done, whether you have surgery or not.

Kat

Edited by kat77

For me the point was I'd spent way too many years failing at diets. This has given me a great gift. A tool to help me. At the end of the day, it's no magic pill or quick fix. I still watch what I eat. I have regained control of my life and what I put in my mouth. It's been a true miracle for me. Almost 100lbs gone. 6 months out. And I know it's up to me to continue to be successful. Good luck to you! It's a huge lifestyle change for sure but worth every second!