Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prejudices v. Legitimate Concerns

I hope not to create a divisive issue but this is beginning to become an issue with me. As I lean more towards surgery in Mexico, I am beginning to note more comments about horror stories shared by medical professionals who are advising me against surgery in Mexico. As one said, if I am deadset on self-pay then I should only look for a reputable American surgeon. They all talk about patients or people they know who had problems after surgery in Mexico.

But, I am sure there are American patients who had American surgeons that also experienced complications. For me, it seems some of their attitudes stem from our (general) belief that American=best. I understand relating concerns about insurance and coverage but I think there is an undercurrent of prejudice in their comments.

There are some good surgeons in Mexico and the US. There are some really unsafe surgeons in Mexico and the US.

There is prejudice because when you hear "Mexico" you think someone will be operated on in an unsafe environment - there have been lots of horror stories.

I'm going to LIMAARP, Dr. Liza Pompa - she operates a centre of excellence endorsed by the U.S. I'm paying dearly for it but I'm ok with that. I also investigated and connected with past patients to get feedback - it has ALL been positive. I'm comfortable with my decision.

Do your homework. The good ones aren't inexpensive ... for a reason!

Edited by DarbiMolly

As a self-pay patient as well, I can understand your concern regarding the cost. I briefly considered Mexico but opted not to for several reasons. I personally know two individuals who had bipass and one passed away within 24 hrs of her surgery the other 3 months later - both had surgeons in the US one in NY and one in FL. I'm convinced the surgeon's reputation and the patients adherence to the "rules" are the biggest factor in success. It was extremely important for me to trust the surgeon. With that said, I encourage you to visit www.drwizman.com. I get absolutely nothing from referring you to the site. The site offers easy to understand information about the various surgeries as well as Dr. Wizman's track record. He frequently speaks at medical seminars and trains other Dr.'s on how to perform the various surgeries. If you are willing to go to Mexico, perhaps you would be willing to travel to Florida. The cost of the surgery is $10,600 all inclusive. One of the highest recommended surgeons at a seriously competitive price. I’m sure this is a little higher than what you might pay in Mexico, but it’s $5k below other surgeons in our area. I know we all have different financial situations, but financing is available even to those of us with the worst credit. I hope this helps. Good luck!

I think that one can have many legitimate reservations about having surgery Mexico without being prejudiced.

I think it's risky to label someone as prejudiced for such a flimsy reason.

There are real, serious reasons that people might have concerns about surgery in Mexico. These are sometimes ignored. Just my opinion.

My concern with doing surgery in Mexico started with a comment from my facilitator in the states. I was approved for surgery by my ins company, but my daughter is still in limbo waiting for her approval letter. I told the facilitator that if she was denied we would consider surgeons in Mexico. She quickly responded that we should be very careful before making that decision because it is very hard to get surgeons in the US to deal with any complications from the WLS surgery performed in Mexico. I was shocked by her response. I have since read all the posts from my fellow WLS participants here on this site and believe I have received enough information, support, and encouragement, along with research on several doctors in Mexico, to enable both my daughter and I to be comfortable with our decision to go with surgery in this country should this be the only financial option we have.

jjinWA,

This surgery is such a personal decision that's why I really like this forum, as it helps each one of us in making that decision.

No matter what country you have surgery in, there's going to be a problem for somebody at one point or another; all we can do is listen to each person's experience and make the best choice we know how to make.

It does upset me though when we get scared by another person's post or even another person's Medical opinion even those in a doctor's office.

Like others on this forum I have done tons of research as a result of that research I have chosen to go to Mexico with Dr. Elias Ortez through a lighter me.

I am completely at peace with this decision but I did do a lot of research first.

I hope you and your daughter find the perfect surgeon for you whether it is in the US, Mexico, or any other country of your choosing.

GOOD luck with your journey I wish only the best for you.

Edited by mrsbshe

My mother had to have emergent surgery in Budapest in the late 90's and the desirable American style hospital was booked full up. She wound up in the local general hospital, Szent Janos, which was like NOTHING we'd ever seen. Seriously. Being right on the banks of the Danube, their idea of pest control was having cats reside in the basements of the various hospital buildings. Her post-op meal was pickle Soup and we had to smuggle her a spoon from the Hilton so she could eat it. She was walked to and from testing, the surgical theatre, etc which meant several round-trips outside in the snow. Their English was halting at best; our Hungarian? Nil.

Scary? Oh, Hell yes and both my mother and I are battle hardened ED nurses so very little shocks either of us! The entire experience was absolutely surreal for our whole family. Yet ...

They had the latest equipment, experienced surgeons and nurses, practiced universal precautions with diligence, and mom's surgery was, in a word, impeccable. Add in a CT scan, lab work, all physician's fees, the fact that her surgery was done laparoscopically (which, at that time, it would have been done open in the US) and the grand total was $263 USD.

There you go, folks. Proof that high quality medical care can be found everywhere, even in a place where it's not expected.

PS: Federal BCBS initially denied reimbursement because they couldn't read the operative note which was in Hungarian and wanted us to have it translated. Ironic since we lived in NJ and the BCBS office is in Washington, DC.

Edited by Carrie B-D

To be fair, Mexico is a corrupt country seemingly on the brink of civil war at times.

I think that when we are researching surgeons in Mexico, we should hold to an extremely tough standard. We should ask really hard questions. In order to get my business, they have to jump through a higher hoop to prove themselves than I might ask from the USA. That is not prejudice. That is facing reality. Mexico is KNOWN for corruption. To ignore that is not smart.

In the USA, we generally know the hospital we would go to for surgery. It would probably be a local hospital or a well known regional one. We feel confident in knowing the hospital's reputation, the legal system here, and our options if something goes wrong. We have family or friends nearby. We believe hospitals are trying to implement best sterile practices and that it is an important goal for them - and generally this is true.

We generally don't have the same knowledge about Mexico. That is why I feel we should go above and beyond to know every detail we can about the surgeon's skill, the facility, the tools being used, infection/complication and leak rates, etc.

I am having surgery in August in Mexico.

i

Edited by Travelmego

If people put the same amount of diligence into researching their options, surgeons, and hospitals here in the US as we have in researching those in Mexico we would actually have a better standard of care in the US. :)

If people put the same amount of diligence into researching their options, surgeons, and hospitals here in the US as we have in researching those in Mexico we would actually have a better standard of care in the US. :)

True dat! it is scary to think of how I would have gone into surgery in the USA pretty uneducated about the entire thing. Mexico made me learn.

I understand that, very much so, it seems like there is this stigma about surgery in other countries. I had surgery in Mexico, I didn't go there because insurance limitation, or because I could not afford it in the US. I went there because that is where I happened to find the surgeon that I felt was best for me. He had amazing credentials, spoke perfect English, was Certified by Johnson&Johnson, and Proctor certified as well. My experience was fantastic, and I was well taken care of. I wrote a few articles that you might find helpful I will post the links so you can give them read. Best of luck to you dear. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/307290-advice-for-newbies-questions-to-ask/ http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/306639-general-advice-for-those-researching-weight-loss-surgery-in-mexico/

We just heard that my daughter's insurance denied her coverage for the sleeve. We are so discouraged. Never was against Mexico option, but wanted it closer to home for fear of complications. Well, we are down to one option now.... So we need to look into surgeons. So overwhelmed. Anything you can to to assist me in the research would be greatly appreciated. You can reply here or even use my email address. jjvailrr32@yahoo.com

Are you going to appeal the denial? Or do they just not cover the sleeve at all?

@ That is amazing all that came to only 263 wow. I am glad they were so good despite the oddness of the situation.

Are you going to appeal the denial? Or do they just not cover the sleeve at all? @ That is amazing all that came to only 263 wow. I am glad they were so good despite the oddness of the situation.

We are going to appeal, but for now not even sure why she was denied. The surgeons office sent us an email on Friday saying it was denied. We have not actually received the letter from them directly yet. She is 38 years old at 40.3 BMI (234 lbs) with no comorbities, so likely that is the issue. Sad thing is there is nothing on paper such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc, but what they don't document is her bad knees and back, and her terribly swollen feet. And she has years of WW history along with other diets. We all know that these do not work long term. We looked at this as a chance to "reset" and start again. Funny, they paid for all the pre-tests, but now say they will not cover the surgery. So, yup, we will appeal, but honestly the Mexico surgeons are likely are only option at this point.

You might get it approved. I have heard that insurance companies deny a few times then pass. You never know. But yea, it doesn't hurt to have a plan b.