Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap ban survivor here, considering sleeve have many questions

Hi folks,

I had lap band surgery several years ago and finally had to have it removed. I couldn't tolerate and restriction whatsoever, even liquids would come back up. Well as the story goes, I've gained weight again and I'm considering the sleeve.

With the band, I was constantly throwing up. I had a four cc band and couldn't get more that 1cc of fill before I was completely blocked up. Even liquids would get stuck and it was very painful. I had some heartburn too, but that was tolerable.

Are the complications with the sleeve similar?

For those of you through the stages, eating solid foods, what happens if you eat too much? To you hurl? Is it painful? How much can you eat? what foods can you tolerate? I know with the band, beef was impossible to eat. Are there any foods that you can't eat? Any regrets?

Thanks in advance for any help

Bruce

I can completely relate. I had the lapband from 2009-2013. So uncomfortable, can't eat beef, white meat chicken, biscuits, rolls, etc. So many things would send me flying to the bathroom to vomit. To the point there were rumors I was bulimic. I had it removed last year and gained between 30-40lbs. I am now 4 days post op. I am still in pain and on meds but I have so much hope and feel this is exactly the tool for me!. Wish u much luck and success whatever u choose! =)!

I never had a band, and I think I'm fairly lucky with my sleeve. Eveyone is different. I don't have anything that I 'can't tolerate'. I eat everything, white meat, dark meat, chicken meat, beef meat...lol, you get the idea ;) The drier things are (white meat chicken) the heavier they sit in my stomach, I always liked my meat rare, now I like it bloody rare. I get an overly bloated puffy feeling if I eat too many carbs such as bread an Pasta, but I can still eat them. The worst thing for me is carbonation, it's a blessing and a curse really. It's a blessing because I can't drink soda anymore, but a curse because evey now and then there is an occasion that calls for champagne and I can only swirl my glass until it's practically flat before drinking a few sips. Some people have GERD and heartburn, others, like myself do not. If I eat too much, I puke. I haven't puked more than 5 times in almost 19 months, most of the time it was early out, I think once was from just being dumb and not listening to my body. I don't have hunger anymore. I have a little bit of ghrelin now, but nothing like I used to. The grehlin comes back after the first year or so, but by then I was already in control of my portions. I still drink one Protein shake a day to meet my requirements, but otherwise I just eat whatever, I subscribe to Protein first then veggies followed by carbs if there is room. I don't drink while eating, and I do still occasionally have a treat like ice cream or cake or a bite of dessert. Id' talk to your Dr. and see if he thinks sleeve might be right for you, based on your history with the band, only he can probably help you make the right choice. Good luck!!

Hi! I'm a survivor as well! I can relate to all of the complications you talked about. My band slipped very badly and I had emergency surgery to have it out 2/13. Thought I'd finish my weight loss on my own. A year and 30 lbs later, I got my sleeve. It's a completely different world!! I love it. Things don't get stuck, which is the biggest and best difference. Also, when you get full from a meal, it doesn't present as god awful chest pain or back pain, you're just full. Belly-full. So much nicer! And I can tolerate all Proteins (they're just really filling!) the one thing that gives me grief is corn. And really, that's ok ;) I don't touch Pasta or rice so I can't report on those. And you need to take your acid reducer meds every day. I had an issue early on and switched from Prilosec to dexilant and I've been fine since. If you're ready, I say go for it with the sleeve. I'm so glad I did! Good luck!

I am also a lap band survivor. My band eroded in January 2012 and required emergency surgery and a week in the hospital. I had to wait for the BMI requirements for my insurance to approve the sleeve. I was 20 lbs away from my highest weight when I started my pre-op diet. I had the sleeve on 4/9 and love it! No throwing up, no chest pains from things getting stuck, am sleeping at night without getting up sick, no meds for acid reflux, etc. I can eat any meat. I have not tried bread (other than flat bread which is fine) or Pasta. I have not tried carbonated beverages either. I love my maintenance-free (no fill) sleeve. I have lost 40 lbs so far!!!

I used to vomit almost daily with my band (from 2009-2013) and lost 104 lbs virtually from band induced bulimia. There were a few things I couldn't eat, but basically since I vomited (I enjoyed getting stuff out, therefore I could eat more) everything, I ate everything - even things that I "couldn't" eat.

There's nothing I can't eat - cept ice cream. Thats why I luv my sleeve so much - I can eat anything, just smaller amounts. About the same amt as when my band was at it's premium (which was only for about 9 mths of 3 1/2 yrs with it). In the last 11 mths, I've vomited 2x - all my fault. It's a long drawn out, painful process that yields little results so I don't even bother overeating anymore cuz to get it back up is a pain in the butt.

Believe it or not, when I was banded, I'd eat 1/4 of a Big Mac. Then throw it up. Eat another 1/4 and repeated till it was gone (about 3 hrs). Not anymore. Can only eat about 10-12 bites of any given food.

The weight is coming off very slowly, as I knew it would starting at 174 11 mths ago. I'm about 14 lbs from goal and it seems I'll NEVER get there. But I can and will....

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I have an appointment July 25 with the o-band center to meet a surgeon. We'll see what happens from there